When 18 year old Byron Geldard was diagnosed with cancer, doctors were stumped as to what kind of cancer he had and how to fight the spread of the disease – until a simple pregnancy test provided them with the answer. The teenager’s cancer had spread to his lungs, but doctors couldn’t figure out where it had begun to develop. “They didn’t know what type of cancer I had,” Byron said in a recent interview.=
“I could have had four or five different types.” Terrified that a lack of a more specific diagnosis could lead to difficulty fighting the disease, Byron was referred to the Teenage Cancer Trust unit in Cambridge, where he was given an unusual diagnostic tool: a pregnancy test.
When the test came back positive, doctors were able to determine through Byron’s hormone levels that his cancer was stage four testicular cancer, and start him on a treatment regimen immediately.
“I started chemotherapy the day after I was diagnosed,” Byron reports.
A year later, in remission after intensive chemotherapy and surgery, Byron is proud to be an ambassador for the organization the Teenage Cancer Trust. He hopes to spread awareness about testicular cancer and other forms of cancer through stand-up comedy targeted at young audiences.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow’s a mystery and today’s a gift,” Byron says; “It may be from Kung Fu Panda but it is how I feel.”
Do Pregnancy Tests Really Detect Cancer?
According to the Teenage Cancer Trust, pregnancy tests are commonly used to diagnose testicular cancer, and have been for the past six years. Pregnancy tests, which measure hormones and proteins, can be used to detect abnormal hormone and protein levels related to testicular cancer.
In 2012, a man made headlines when he posted a comic on the popular website reddit.com about taking a pregnancy test as a joke and getting a positive result – receiving a flood of advice telling him to get tested for testicular cancer, for which he tested positive and was then able to receive treatment.
But the majority of cases of testicular cancer are self-detected, according to WebMD, or detected by a sexual partner. Endocrinologists discourage the use of pregnancy tests to self-diagnose testicular cancer, because any number of conditions can lead to a change in hormone levels, resulting in a false positive on the test.
The best way to catch testicular cancer in the early stages, according to the American Cancer Association, is to perform regular self-exams and see a doctor right away if you detect a lump in one of your testicles. Some doctors recommend monthly self-exams – just as those with breasts are encouraged to do monthly self-examinations for lumps in their breasts.
- THIS Oil Relieves Pain FASTER Than Both Pain Meds and ALL Other Natural Remedies
What do you do when you experience muscle pain? If you’re like most Americans, you probably open up your bathroom …
- The Psychological Health Benefits of Dog Ownership
If you think about it objectively, it’s a weird idea to have an animal living in your home, walking around …
- This Woman Cured Her Stage 4 Cancer Without Chemo…(She Ate a Lot of THIS!)
Cancer truly is the disease of the century : while many other conditions came and went, cancer stayed strong and …
- 5 Easy Soaks To Rebalance Good Bacteria And Banish Stinky Feet Forever
No one likes having stinky feet. It can also be pretty embarrassing to have to take off your smelly shoes …
- 5 Best Slimming Thigh Exercises You Should Do But Don’t
Most people focus on toning up their core, but women often have trouble getting rid of excess weight in …
- Not Even Cancer Can Stand Up To This Combination of Honey And Baking Soda
What Relation Does Baking Soda And Cancer Have? When you’re not feeling well, you shouldn’t reach for conventional pain …
- Aerobic Exercise Increases Brain Function In People With Schizophrenia
Schizophrenia is one of the most severe brain disorders known to man. There are many cases of people being unable …
- Disturbing Picture Shows What Sleep Deprivation Will Do To You Starting With The First Night
Skimping on sleep can have serious repercussions on your health. In fact, just one week of inadequate sleep is enough …
- This Is What Happens To Your Lungs When You Dry Laundry Indoors
There’s nothing better than the smell of clean linens dried on a clothesline. But in most areas, this delightful sensation …
- 12 Surprising Facts About Your Digestive System
There are two main purposes that your digestive system serves: first, it converts food into the nutrients your body needs, …
- Toxic Dishwasher Capsules are Loaded With Chemicals That Cause Severe Respiratory Issues and Cancer
Anything that touches your food can get inside your body, right? That goes for dishes, glasses, and utensils, too. Commercial …
- How 3 Naturopathic Doctors Cured Cancer (Different Treatments, Similar Results)
The field of cancer treatment is one full of constant new developments. Study after study is performed, then overturned, as …
- 6 Home Remedies For Nasal Congestion That Will Give You Instant Relief
There’s nothing more annoying than not being able to breathe properly. People living with seasonal allergies know this all to …
- Cancer-Stricken Woman Gets Layoff Letter After Boss Learns She’s Fighting the Disease
This story sends a pall over the whole medical profession. It also re-affirms faith in love. Carol Jumper had worked …
- Your Liver is FULL of Aluminum, Start Eating These Foods To Get Rid of It Immediately!
Aluminum is a naturally occurring metal. But just because its natural, doesn’t mean that it’s okay for the human body …