The liver performs over 500 different functions in the human body (1). Every day, your liver supports your everyday life by providing you with energy, fighting off infection, clearing out toxins, helping clot the blood, regulating hormones and so much more (2). You liver does a lot for you, so when it isn’t working optimally, you’ll be sure to notice.
Signs of a Worn-out Liver
The liver, like the kidneys, filters out toxins and harmful substances from the body.
When the liver is overloaded with fat-soluble toxins, it begins to store these substances in your fat cells.
In fact, one of the first steps in getting rid of toxins is the liver converting fat-soluble toxins into water-soluble ones so that may be expelled from the body through bile.
This can leave you feeling tired, weak, nauseous, confused and can cause digestive troubles and weight gain.
Other symptoms of toxic overload include anxiety, skin conditions, sudden allergies and constant bloating as well as brain fog and hormonal imbalance. Here are some additional warning signs you should be on the lookout for:
- Chronic Fatigue
- Dull Headaches
- Chronic Joint or Muscle Pain
- Excessive Perspiration
- Trouble Digesting Fats, Abdominal Pain, Constipation, Diarrhea
- Chemical Sensitivities
- Chronic Bad Breath
- Unexplained Weight Gain
How To Keep Your Liver Healthy
The best way to keep your liver healthy is by eating whole foods, avoiding processed sugars and saturated fats, getting enough sleep, avoiding alcohol and not smoking.
It’s also important to drink plenty of water, eat healthy fats, get enough iron and to eat lots of fiber to soak toxic bile and expel it from your body.
Chemicals typically used as herbicides, pesticides and food additives can also wreak havoc on the body and often make their way into fatty tissue, so try to eat organic as much as possible.
If you need an extra boost, try these 3 liver-healing herbs.
1. Milk thistle
Milk thistle is the number one herb suggested to alcoholics to treat alcoholic hepatitis, fibrosis and alcoholic cirrhosis. It also protects the liver from toxins and drugs, so it’s particularly helpful for chronically ill patients (4).
The herb also helps the liver repair itself and regenerate new cells. Its anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties are beneficial fro the treatment of viral hepatitis and mushroom poisoning.
2. Globe Artichoke
Closely related to milk thistle, artichoke stimulates bile production and flow within the liver. This helps fight heartburn and prevent hangovers. The plants also helps control cholesterol levels after a fatty meal and regular consumption can improve symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (5).
Its antioxidant and antibacterial activity protects the organ from damage and infection (6).
Turmeric has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that protect the liver from damage and scarring while promoting cell regeneration (7). It can also protect the liver against alcohol and strong pharmaceutical drugs and harsh chemicals (8).
Some studies have even found that this golden spice can kill cancerous cells and tumors in the liver (9).
- Here’s Why Women Need More Sleep Than Men (It Has Something To Do With Their Ability To Multi-Task)
While everyone should strive to get adequate sleep, a recent study from Duke University has shown that sleep deprivation may …
- Baking Soda and Castor Oil Can Treat More than 20 Health Problems
The more we learn about Nature, the more astonishing we find it. Ages-old remedies still work and can be applied …
- How to Use a ¼ Teaspoon of Nutmeg to Fall Asleep and Relieve ALL Your Insomnia Symptoms Overnight
There’s nothing like a poor night of sleep to set you on the wrong foot for the day to come. …
- Top Doctors Are Warning Anyone Over 40 To Stop Taking Ibuprofen Immediately. Here’s Why…
What do you do when a headache settles in? Chances are, you probably do the same thing as when you …
- This Is How Much Walking You REALLY Need To Lose Weight
When it comes to weight loss, many people believe that high-intensity exercises are the only way to shed a few …
- Spray This 3-Ingredient Oil On Your Feet 10 Minutes Before Bed And You’ll Be Dozing Off In No Time!
Do you have trouble falling asleep? Can you recall the last time you had a restful sleep and woke up rejuvenated? …
- How Only 15 Minutes of Walking Can Change Everything
Walking is the most ordinary thing a human can do. Unless we have a physical impairment, we take this activity …
- Here’s What You Didn’t Know You Could Do With Baking Soda (From Fighting Heartburn To Cancer)
Baking soda is one of those things that can do pretty much anything. Whether you use it for cleaning, personal hygiene …
- Try the World’s 7 Easiest Exercises for Back Fat and Underarm Flab
Fitness is a whole-body state. Muscle strength and tone along with cardiovascular health go together to complete the picture. No …
- Remove All Toxins From The Body In 3 Days (Prevent Cancer, Excess Fat And Water Retention!)
If you’re feeling tired or sluggish, it may be time to cleanse and detox your body. Things like stress, poor …
- 20 Natural Ways to Cleanse Your Lungs
Most of us take breathing for granted. Even if you don’t smoke or experience respiratory problems, an occasional lung cleanse …
- 14 Early Warning Signs Of Mold Toxicity Everyone Should Know (Millions Are Exposed Every Day)
When you hear the word mold, you often think of rotten food or dirty showers in bathrooms, but this very …
- How to Effectively Remove a Painful Ingrown Toenail WITHOUT Having To Go To The Doctor
If you ever suffered from an ingrown toenail, then you know that it’s not only super painful, it’s also hard …
- THIS Is What Happens To Your Face After Washing It With Coconut Oil and Baking Soda
Baking soda and coconut oil face wash, can be very good for washing your face. Exfoliating your skin has become …
- Energy Saving Light Bulbs Are Poisonous To The Brain, Nervous System, Liver, Kidneys And Heart
There is a growing frenzy about the safety of energy saving light bulbs, which have grown increasingly popular. The US …