According to the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health: “Worldwide, an estimated 1 billion people have inadequate levels of vitamin D in their blood.” (1)
So why is vitamin D important?
Vitamin D helps your body absorb calcium, one of the most important minerals for bone health (2). Deficiency can cause diseases such as osteoporosis or rickets. It can also negatively impact your nerves, muscles and your immune system.
In fact, a common symptom of vitamin D deficiency is joint and back pain. Left untreated, this can lead to the development of arthritis and weaken bones.
Other Symptoms Of Vitamin D Deficiency
Most signs of vitamin D deficiency can easily be confounded with other conditions. Here’s a list of symptoms to watch out for:
- Burning sensation on feet
- Poor balance
- Low-quality sleep
- Leg pain
- Bering prone to infections
See also: anti inflammatory foods
Natural Vitamin D Sources
The best source of vitamin D is sunshine. Just 15 minutes a day of natural sunlight is all you need.
However, if you have dark skin, are overweight, older or simply don’t spend much time in the sun, try eating foods rich in vitamin D. Great sources include eggs, mushrooms and salmon.
Other Benefits of Vitamin D
Prevents Chronic Conditions
Vitamin D can protect against diabetic retinopathy (3), Parkinson and Alzheimer’s disease (4), and even manage epilepsy (5).
This vitamin helps prevent cancer by slowing down the progression of cells from premalignant to malignant states (6). It also helps slow down tumour growth.
In fact, according to Cedric F. Garland, Dr. P.H., cancer prevention specialist at the Moores Cancer Center at the University of California, San Diego (UCSD), estimates that 250,000 cases of colorectal cancer and 350,000 cases of breast cancer could be prevented worldwide by increasing intake of vitamin D3 (7).
Boosts Immune System
Vitamin D plays an important role in maintaining your immune system. In fact, not receiving enough vitamin D can leave you more prone to infections. So much so that hospitals are seeing positive results through vitamin D treatment for critical care patients (8).
Maintains Heart Health
This vitamin can also boost your cardiovascular health.
The American Journal Of Medical Sciences write: “Cross-sectional studies have reported that vitamin D deficiency is associated with increased risk of CVD, including hypertension, heart failure, and ischemic heart disease” (9).
So there you have it: a great reason to enjoy a nice walk under the sun or grab a breath of fresh air. Your body will thank you for it!
Originally posted 2015-11-19 02:58:47.
- Eating Sesame Seeds Is Superior To Tylenol For Knee Arthritis
A remarkable new study published in the International Journal of Rheumatic Diseases confirms that food is not only medicine, but …
- How To Make An Apple Cider Vinegar Soak To Treat Arthritis And Joint Pain
Arthritis can be debilitating. If you are used to being active, dealing with chronic inflammation, pain, and stiffness in your …
- Beat Arthritis and Joint Pain With This Anti-Inflammatory Gummy Snack (Tastes Surprisingly Good!)
Everyone – especially kids – loves gummy snacks like fruit roll-ups and Gushers, but many parents struggle with finding healthy …
- You Can Fight And Cure Arthritis With These Natural Herbs And Oils
Arthritis consists of more than 100 different conditions, including mild forms of tendinitis and bursitis as well as crippling rheumatoid …
- Got Knee Pain? Try This Cinnamon-Pineapple Smoothie To Nourish Your Joints And Fight Inflammation
Your knees keep you mobile and strong throughout your life. They’re also one of the first areas of your body …
- Say Goodbye To Pain In Your Joints, Legs and Spine With This Proven Anti-Inflammatory Smoothie
Unfortunately, it’s common for older adults to feel pain in the back, knees, legs and ankles. This is especially true …
- 22 Home Remedies To Get Instant Relief From Knee Pain & 16 More Tips To Ease The Pain
Your knees are the most annoying and unpleasant areas to be affected by joint pain. Because you use your knees …
- Make This Pomegranate Gelatin Treat To Get Rid Of Joint, Back And Knee Pain
Joints are the connective tissue between bones. Joint pain reduces mobility, which can begin as something mildly irritating only to …
- The Ultimate Ginger-Turmeric-Carrot Juice To Replace Your Pain And Inflammation Meds
Anyone suffering from arthritis understands how much the condition can make everyday life difficult. When it’s experienced in the knees …
- How To Quickly Remove Uric Acid Crystallization From Your Body To Prevent Gout And Joint Pain
The formation of uric acid crystals in your joints is a perfect example of poor lifestyle choices. Left unattended, it …
- 5 Foods That Make Arthritis Worse (and age you faster)
Managing arthritis can be a full-time job. There are certain activities and medication to be avoided to keep pain levels …
- Gelatin An Unexpected And Effective Remedy For Joint Pain
Many people suffer from joint pain, whether from osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis, injury, uric acid crystals, years of normal wear …
- Grease Your Joints With These 5 Powerful Herbs (Kick Arthritis To The Curb!)
In pain? You’re not alone. There are so many ailments that can cause achy, stiff joints. While many people find help from …
- 19 Ways To Ease Pain From Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) occurs when the nerves that run through a small space in the wrist become compressed. It’s …
- 30 Science-Backed Foods That Will Physically Block Joint Pain And Inflammation
When we hear about arthritis, we often think of it as an age-related disease; so what does anti-inflammatory foods have to do …