Cheap and plentiful, bananas are a popular source for potassium, an important nutrient that we all need to get from our food.
But while bananas are typically affordable and accessible, they’re not everyone’s favorite food.
For starters, it can be hard to find organic bananas, and even harder to find bananas that are fair trade – many prominent banana brands are known for their unethical labor practices(1).
As it turns out, bananas – while a great source of potassium – aren’t the only source of potassium readily available in your local grocery store.
So whether you’re concerned about where the bananas came from, or you just don’t want the extra sugar that comes with it, here are some healthy, potassium-loaded alternatives(2).
The following list is based on levels per 100-gram serving.
1. Mushrooms, portabella, grilled [Portobello]
Potassium: 521mg Sugars: 2.3g
2. Mushrooms, white, stir-fried
Potassium: 396mg Sugars: 2g
3. Endive, raw
Potassium: 314mg Sugars: 0.2g
4. Broccoli raab, raw [Broccoli rabe, Rapini]
Potassium: 196mg Sugars: 0.4g
5. Lettuce, red leaf, raw
Potassium: 187mg Sugars: 0.5g
6. Asparagus, frozen, cooked, boiled, drained, without salt
Potassium: 172mg Sugars: 1.9g
7. Cauliflower, frozen, cooked, boiled, drained, with salt
Potassium: 139mg Sugars: 2g
Are You Getting Enough Potassium?
According to the World Health Organization, the daily recommended intake of Potassium is 4,700 milligrams per day – yet the average per day intake of potassium for most individuals in the developed world is only 2,640 milligrams(4).
Getting enough potassium is important for bone and muscle development as well as heart health.
So stock up on the foods on this list to ensure that you’re getting enough of this important nutrient.
- 10 Reasons To Stop Drinking Diet Soda
When taken at face value, diet soda seems like a health-conscious choice. It saves you the 140-plus calories you’d find …
- 5 Deadly Reasons to Stop Eating High Fructose Corn Syrup
There is on-going debate about the nutritional impact of high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). The Corn Refiner’s Association has published …
- This Little Weed Is One of the Most Useful Medicines On The Planet
You’ve stepped on it, ignored it, and tried to eradicate it from your lawn. However, this innocuous little weed is …
- Here’s The Surprising Reason Why Eating Bananas With Brown Spots Is Better
When it comes to produce, most people believe that the fresher, the better. Especially when it comes to bananas. Bananas …
- 5 Surprising Reasons Why Coconut Flour Might Just Be Better For You
Coconut flour is a flour made from coconut solids that have been ground into a very fine powder. It has …
- Foods That You Should Never Mix With Popular Supplements
Supplements are billed as super-healthy, but did you know that some of them have harmful interactions with certain types of …
- The Surprisingly Simple Way To Supercharge Your Golden Turmeric Milk And Make It Healthier
We are starting to learn about the supreme health benefits of probiotics (meaning: “for life”); they promote the growth of …
- 5 Athlete-Building Beetroot Recipes
Beetroot has taken center stage since the 2013 Paralympics when athlete David Weir won four gold medals and boasted it was …
- There’s a Perfectly Good Reason Why These Egg Yolks Have Different Colors (The Darker, The Better)
Anyone who’s had the pleasure of cooking with free-range, organic eggs has probably noticed the difference in colour between eggs …
- 5 Energy-Boosting Chia Seed Recipes
Chia seeds contain more plant-based omega-3 fatty acids than flax seeds, and have also been traditionally used as a source …
- 5 Unexpected Ways to Use Avocados
The avocado, which is actually a fruit, not a vegetable, boasts a wide array of health benefits. Rich in fiber, …
- 3 Good Reasons to Stop Buying Microwavable Popcorn
Popcorn made in those microwave bags with the shiny silver insides are a very popular snack but recent health concerns …
- Eat Celery Regularly For a Healthier Digestive System And Lower Blood Sugar Levels
Celery is a common supermarket food, and is also relatively inexpensive even when buying the organic variety that is much …
- 6 Little-Known Benefits of Eating Dark Chocolate
It’s a great feeling to learn that something that tastes so good, can actually be good for us too! When …
- This is How Green Tea Promises To Boost Brain Power (It’s Totally Unexpected!)
There’s nothing like a nice cup of green tea to soothe the mind and revitalize the spirit. Long considered a …