The typical North American diet lends itself toward the acidic: processed foods, meat, bread, alcohol, pasta, soda, and refined sugars are all very acidic.
The body likes balance.
The pH scale measures the body’s internal chemistry on the basis of acidic versus alkaline, with zero the most acidic and fourteen the most alkaline. The human body works best right in the middle at around 7.4.
Your pH balance is important because cancerous cells thrive in an acidic environment; the immune system works optimally in a slightly alkaline body. The Journal of Environmental Public Health published a study in 2012 that concluded:
“…it would be prudent to consider an alkaline diet to reduce morbidity and mortality of chronic disease that are plaguing our aging population. One of the first considerations in an alkaline diet, which includes more fruits and vegetables, is to know what type of soil they were grown in since this may significantly influence the mineral content. ” (1)
This also hints that conventionally-raised fruits and vegetables (i.e., non-organic) might not be as nutritious due to the lack of minerals in the soil, killed by synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides.
A food may be inherently acidic (like lemon and apple cider vinegar) but once ingested, have an alkalizing effect.
Conversely, some foods are alkaline but have an acidic effect in the body (like sugar and cow’s milk). (2)
5-Ingredient Alkalizing Water to Nourish You and Balance Your pH.
Aloe Vera – packed with vitamins A, B complex, C, and E; minerals calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, and zinc, this plant is known to be a soothing anti-inflammatory with antioxidant content. Its moisturizing anti-inflammatories work on the skin for burns and internally for indigestion and inflammatory bowel disease.
Apple Cider Vinegar – it may seem counterintuitive, but although white vinegar is highly acidic, apple cider vinegar is the opposite—it’s highly alkaline. This foodstuff can be counted among the superfoods with all it does for human health. From supporting healthy digestion as a probiotic to clearing skin conditions this fermented food (and effective non-toxic household cleaner and disinfectant!) is a must to restore inner pH balance.
Basil – this adaptogenic herb will do for your body what you need it to do. Antioxidant, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory, basil is highly alkaline and balances lipids (fat) in your bloodstream.
Honey – a superfood, this sweet nectar from the bees is a low alkaline anti-inflammatory and antiseptic that supports digestion and all-around metabolism. Its nutritional content is remarkable with enzymes, phytonutrients, vitamins and minerals, helping your body detoxify sweetly.
Lemon – its alkalizing minerals (calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium) make this an antioxidant equalizer in the body. Adds loads of vitamins C (which is good for everything), A, B1, B6, and B9 (folic acid).
Mint – all mint varieties have similar properties, supporting healthy digestion and the immune system through antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and over forty phytochemicals. What else mint brings to the table: not only has mint been shown to kill cancer cells but in a 2010 study, two species of common mint prevented radiation sickness and mortality –
“Detail investigations have also shown that the aqueous extract of M. piperita protected the vital radiosensitive organs: the testis, gastrointestinal and hemopoetic systems in mice. The radioprotective effects are possibly due to free radical scavenging, antioxidant, metal chelating, anti-inflammatory, antimutagenic, and enhancement of the DNA repair processes.” (3)
This is powerful stuff.
Alkalizing Water RecipeYou'll need:
- 1 organic lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp. organic aloe vera juice
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar (organic, raw, unpasteurized, and unfiltered)
- 1-2 cups water (room temperature or hot, to taste)
- 1 tsp. unfiltered unpasteurized honey (local is best if you can get it)
- A few organic mint and basil leaves, to taste
- Mix all ingredients together in a tall glass or increase the recipe to fill a pitcher and have it ready to go. To get the alkalizing water’s full effects, drink on an empty stomach—first thing in the morning or before going to bed are best.
- Drink for 5 days and notice the difference: wake up better rested and with more energy, digestion working properly (so important!), and your skin clear and vibrant.
- 5 Ways To Make Juicing Better
Are you a fan of juicing? Juicing is a great way to get some of the daily fruits and vegetables …
- Oregano And Rosemary Work Just Like Prescription Drugs To Lower Blood Sugar Levels
8% of Americans suffer from type 2 diabetes (1). This number is currently on the rise. In fact, the number of …
- Top 15 Foods That Help Fight Chronic Inflammation
Inflammation is the bane of many doctors and patients’ existence. It accompanies many infections and bodily injuries and is infamous …
- 4 Misleading Food Labels and What They Actually Mean
Over the last few decades, researchers have immersed themselves in studying the impact of food labels. Food scientists, psychologist, and …
- Eating Dark Maple Syrup In The Morning Can Prevent Colon Cancer
Colorectal cancer is comprised of any growth (lump or tumor) of the colon and rectum. Worldwide, it is the second …
- Eating Grapefruit Can Help Treat Diabetes And Keep Cholesterol in Check (Do NOT Eat It With Meds!)
Eating more grapefruit might be the best natural way to keep your kidneys healthy and free of dangerous cysts. Additionally, …
- A Little Girl’s School Project Shows Us What Happens When We Try To Grow Grocery Store Potatoes
A science project gone awry. A young girl named Elise was assigned a science project. Her grandmother suggested she grow …
- Quick Facts, Stats and Dangers of Soda Pop
Kids are heavy consumers of soft drinks, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and they are guzzling soda pop …
- Coffee Drinkers Are 50% Less Likely To Suffer From Diabetes And Other Inflammatory Conditions
We know that coffee has many health benefits, which are often attributed to its rich phytochemistry – “including caffeine, chlorogenic …
- 5 Energy-Draining Foods to Avoid
We all know that some foods are higher in caloric content than others. Often times, we seek out these higher …
- Vitamin E Plays a Key Role in The Production of Compounds Needed For Carrying DHA to The Brain
Easy to get if you’re eating the right foods, one simple nutrient could be the key to better brain health …
- Make This Delicious And Easy Vegan Whipped Cream Recipe Using ONLY 3 Ingredients
If you’re lactose intolerant or simply prefer vegan recipes, you’ll love this! This vegan whipped cream is unlike anything you’ve …
- This Is How Much Turmeric You Actually Need To Eat For Arthritis, Cancer And Other Diseases
Turmeric is an ancient herb that comes from the root of the curcuma longa plant. While you may be familiar …
- How To Make a Hydrating Watermelon Slushie
Tired of eating ice cream to keep cold? You probably never thought you could get sick of such a delicious …
- Non GMO Food Companies With Printable List Of Brands
(originally written by Caryn Talty) Need a list of non GMO companies? We’ve put together one and include tips on where …