The typical North American diet lends itself toward the acidic: processed foods, meat, bread, alcohol, pasta, soda, and refined sugars are all very acidic.
The body likes balance.
The pH scale measures the body’s internal chemistry on the basis of acidic versus alkaline, with zero the most acidic and fourteen the most alkaline. The human body works best right in the middle at around 7.4.
Your pH balance is important because cancerous cells thrive in an acidic environment; the immune system works optimally in a slightly alkaline body. The Journal of Environmental Public Health published a study in 2012 that concluded:
“…it would be prudent to consider an alkaline diet to reduce morbidity and mortality of chronic disease that are plaguing our aging population. One of the first considerations in an alkaline diet, which includes more fruits and vegetables, is to know what type of soil they were grown in since this may significantly influence the mineral content. ” (1)
This also hints that conventionally-raised fruits and vegetables (i.e., non-organic) might not be as nutritious due to the lack of minerals in the soil, killed by synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides.
A food may be inherently acidic (like lemon and apple cider vinegar) but once ingested, have an alkalizing effect.
Conversely, some foods are alkaline but have an acidic effect in the body (like sugar and cow’s milk). (2)
5-Ingredient Alkalizing Water to Nourish You and Balance Your pH.
Aloe Vera – packed with vitamins A, B complex, C, and E; minerals calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, and zinc, this plant is known to be a soothing anti-inflammatory with antioxidant content. Its moisturizing anti-inflammatories work on the skin for burns and internally for indigestion and inflammatory bowel disease.
Apple Cider Vinegar – it may seem counterintuitive, but although white vinegar is highly acidic, apple cider vinegar is the opposite—it’s highly alkaline. This foodstuff can be counted among the superfoods with all it does for human health. From supporting healthy digestion as a probiotic to clearing skin conditions this fermented food (and effective non-toxic household cleaner and disinfectant!) is a must to restore inner pH balance.
Basil – this adaptogenic herb will do for your body what you need it to do. Antioxidant, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory, basil is highly alkaline and balances lipids (fat) in your bloodstream.
Honey – a superfood, this sweet nectar from the bees is a low alkaline anti-inflammatory and antiseptic that supports digestion and all-around metabolism. Its nutritional content is remarkable with enzymes, phytonutrients, vitamins and minerals, helping your body detoxify sweetly.
Lemon – its alkalizing minerals (calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium) make this an antioxidant equalizer in the body. Adds loads of vitamins C (which is good for everything), A, B1, B6, and B9 (folic acid).
Mint – all mint varieties have similar properties, supporting healthy digestion and the immune system through antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and over forty phytochemicals. What else mint brings to the table: not only has mint been shown to kill cancer cells but in a 2010 study, two species of common mint prevented radiation sickness and mortality –
“Detail investigations have also shown that the aqueous extract of M. piperita protected the vital radiosensitive organs: the testis, gastrointestinal and hemopoetic systems in mice. The radioprotective effects are possibly due to free radical scavenging, antioxidant, metal chelating, anti-inflammatory, antimutagenic, and enhancement of the DNA repair processes.” (3)
This is powerful stuff.
Alkalizing Water RecipeYou'll need:
- 1 organic lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp. organic aloe vera juice
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar (organic, raw, unpasteurized, and unfiltered)
- 1-2 cups water (room temperature or hot, to taste)
- 1 tsp. unfiltered unpasteurized honey (local is best if you can get it)
- A few organic mint and basil leaves, to taste
- Mix all ingredients together in a tall glass or increase the recipe to fill a pitcher and have it ready to go. To get the alkalizing water’s full effects, drink on an empty stomach—first thing in the morning or before going to bed are best.
- Drink for 5 days and notice the difference: wake up better rested and with more energy, digestion working properly (so important!), and your skin clear and vibrant.
- 7 Benefits You Get From Eating Bananas And 10 Weirdly Useful Things You Can Do With Banana Peels
Health Benefits of Bananas What are the health benefits of bananas? Bananas, the little fruit that is neatly packed …
- Decayed Meat Treated With Carbon Monoxide to Make It Look Fresh At The Grocery
Did you ever wonder how the meat sold in the grocery store always looks so fresh? Have you thought about …
- Selenium Is a Mineral That Protects The Body From Mercury Toxicity. Stop Worrying About Eating Fish!
Many people enjoy the taste, texture, and health benefits of fresh fish, but worry about the potential mercury content in …
- Fifteen Ways Allicin From Fresh-Crushed Garlic Beats Big Pharma’s Best Drugs
Whether you love it or hate it, garlic is at the core of cuisines worldwide. Its bitter and complex flavor …
- This Butter Pecan Cheesecake Will Make Your Holiday Dinner More Exciting
Dessert is like the punctuation to the perfect meal: during large family gatherings, it’s almost necessary. And while dessert isn’t …
- Apricot Seeds Kill Cancer Cells Without Side Effects
While fresh apricots may not be the most available fruit—they are only in season in North America from May to …
- This 3-Ingredient Remedy Helps Cure Clogged Arteries, Fight Infections And Colds
A naturally prepared medicine from Germany is made up of powerful healing ingredients which include ginger, lemon, garlic and water. The three main …
- Drink THIS Before Bed To Boost Your Metabolism And Burn More Fat
Being overweight can take a real toll on your confidence as well as your health. Working out, eating well, and …
- 10 Reasons To Drink More Apple Cider Vinegar
You may not think of apple cider vinegar as something that is a boon to your overall health, but it …
- Be Wary of Mercury in Your Next Seafood Dinner
Mercury poisoning is more common than you think. Its incidence has increased over the years due to greater release of …
- 9 Gluten Free Grains to Try
As the field of nutritional research continues to improve and grow, we are learning more and more about what we …
- 5 Essentials for Healthy Snacking
Want to replace your unhealthy snack habits with delicious and nutritious options? There are plenty of tasty snacks that can …
- Eat More Kale With These 6 Recipes
Spring is the best time of year for leafy greens like kale. Ranked as one of the healthiest vegetables that …
- 5 Surprising Reasons Why Coconut Flour Might Just Be Better For You
Coconut flour is a flour made from coconut solids that have been ground into a very fine powder. It has …
- 5 Easy Ways To Cook Kale
Kale has become increasingly popular with real foodies in recent years, and for good reason. With high levels of iron, …