And while multiple studies have labelled the metal as a carcinogen, other still debate whether or not it can be classified as a neurotoxin.
However, research has shown time and time again over the last 50 years that aluminum exposure causes neurofibrillary tangles, the same twisted proteins found in brain cells of patients with Alzheimer’s disease.
This is because exposure to airborne, topically applied or ingested aluminium makes its way into your blood stream and through your iron transport system and straight to your brain. It can completely bypass the body’s natural toxin barriers.
While your digestive tract can remove great quantities of the metal, a small portion still accumulates in tissues with a slow cellular turnover, like in the brain, bones and heart (2).
Dangers of Aluminum Toxicity
Not surprisingly, it’s been linked to Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, MS, chronic fatigue and other neurological or auto-immune diseases. It’s been suggested that it may even contribute to learning disabilities such as autism.
And since Alzheimer’s has no medical cure, scientist have gone to great lengths to find creative ways to manage the disease.
One of the most surprising potential treatments they found was mineral water.
Silica, a mineral commonly found in mineral water was found to reduce risk of dementia. 10 mg/day was enough to reduce oral absorption of aluminum, enhance aluminum excretion through urine and protect against aluminum-induced adverse effects (3).
Mineral Water To Detox Aluminum
As reported by Daily Mail, professor Christopher Exley, of Keele University, led a research on how to apply this knowledge in real-life applications (4).
The study followed 15 patients with Alzheimer’s as they drank a liter silica-rich Malaysian water called ‘Spritzer’ every day for 13 weeks.
Over the course of the study, their cognitive decline came to a halt and the aluminum levels in their bodies dropped by up to 70%. Three participants even showed an improvement in their mental health.
He said: ‘There were two parts to our research. The first is that drinking silicon water does remove aluminum from the body. When you drink silicon-rich mineral water aluminium throughout the body is gathered up into the blood and then excreted through the urine. We now know we can use this silicon-rich “therapy” water to reduce aluminum.’
‘The most interesting thing was that we did see this potential relationship between the removal of aluminum and the positive improvement in cognitive function.’
‘The second part of our research was looking at the cognitive abilities of people with Alzheimer’s and whether these changed as the aluminum was reduced.’
While the mineral water studied contained 35mg of silicon per liter, it can be hard to find in North American stores. Similar available brands include ‘Volvic’ which has 20mg/liter and Fiji water, which contains 45mg/liter.
Foods Naturally High In Silica:
- Oats, 100g – 595mg
- Millet 100g – 500mg
- Barley 100g – 233mg
- Potatoes 100g – 200mg
- Jerusalem artichoke 100g – 36mg
- Red beets 100g – 21mg
- Asparagus 100g – 18mg
- Banana (yellow, peeled), 250g – 13.60mg
- Green beans (cooked), 250g – 6.10mg
- Carrot (raw, peeled), 200g – 4.58mg
- Brown rice, 200g – 4.14mg
Quick Facts About Silica:
- Silica is short for silicon dioxide
- Silica is also called silicon and is a natural substance while silicone is a man-made industrial substance which is popularly used in breast enlargement operations
- Silica is present in soil, plants and water
- Silica has a similar healing effect on cartilage and joint degeneration as sulphur
- Silica is important for the health of hair, skin and nails
- Silica is needed by the body to make the connective tissue collagen
Turmeric For Protection
Another great natural solution is curcumin, which protects against aluminum-induced damage by fighting oxidative stress.
Simply add a teaspoon into your glass of mineral water to keep your brain sharp. If you don’t like the combination, drink mineral water throughout the day and yummy golden milk at night.
- How To Effectively Deep-Clean And Freshen Your Mattress Without Using Bleach
Although most people clean their bed sheets every week, it’s rare for people to think of washing their mattress even …
- Maca Powder: The Perfect Food For Hormone Imbalance, Anxiety, Energy, Sleep, And Libido
Although centuries old, maca comes from the brassica (mustard) family, similar to turnip, cabbage, and watercress (1). This root was first …
- 7 Ways To Manage Allergies That Doesn’t Involve Using Over-The-Counter Medication
Spring and summer may mean the end of the winter season and more time spent outdoors in the sun, but …
- How to Regrow Your Hair Naturally With These Herbs and Foods
“Male pattern baldness” is a phrase that instills fear and horror in most guys. This type of early hair loss …
- Solar Panel Farm Grows 17,000 Tons Of Food Without Soil, Pesticides, Fossil Fuels Or Groundwater
Farming is probably the world’s oldest profession and something that is obviously universal to every culture and race in the …
- Why You Should Stop Using Vaseline Immediately And How To Make Your Own Non-Petroleum Jelly
Vaseline is a petroleum-based jelly that’s basically a byproduct of the oil industry. But did you know that prolonged use of petroleum jelly …
- Vitamin E Plays a Key Role in The Production of Compounds Needed For Carrying DHA to The Brain
Easy to get if you’re eating the right foods, one simple nutrient could be the key to better brain health …
- This Little-Known Fact Is The Real Reason Why Wheat Is Toxic (And It’s NOT The Gluten…)
Wheat is quickly becoming a vicious allergen. You probably know someone who’s gluten intolerant, seeing as it’s one of the …
- The Migraine-Relieving Hormone Nobody Ever Talks About
There are many factors that cause migraine headaches and people who regularly suffer from them know just how difficult they …
- 6 Heart-Healthy Foods That Will Help Keep Your Arteries Clean
There are many risk factors at play when it comes to the development of cardiovascular disease – and our understanding …
- Couple Donates $33.7 Million To Medical Cannabis Research After Cannabis Cured Granddaughter’s Epilepsy
Katelyn Lambert of Sydney, Australia has a rare form of epilepsy called Dravet syndrome. It is characterized by frequent and …
- How to Pick a Juicy, Delicious and Nutrient-Packed Watermelon Every Time
If summer had to be represented by one fruit, it would definitely be watermelon. Enjoyed on beaches, campgrounds, and porches …
- Try This Quick Homemade Solution to Treat Poison Ivy Symptoms
Anyone who’s ever stepped in a patch of poison ivy knows it’s no fun – the itchy red bumps can …
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS): Hard Cold Facts about this Fatal Disease
Recently, all over Facebook and other social media, you have probably seen friends and celebrities alike dumping a bucket of …
- The Common Habits You Need To Stop Immediately To Cut Your Dementia Risk In Half
For many, it’s their worst nightmare: coming to the twilight years and being unable to function independently, unable to perform …