It may seem off the beaten path, but new inventions incorporating bicycle technology are all the rage lately when it comes to saving electricity and encouraging a more active lifestyle.
Inventors and thinkers have developed numerous ways to capitalize on the accessible, energy-efficient nature of bicycle tech in order to transform daily chores – in this case, doing laundry.
Encouraging Regular Exercise
“Riding a bike a popular exercise, washing laundry is something that you might do on (a) daily basis or at least once a week, unless you keep buying new clothes and underwear, so why not combine them into a single useful equipment/appliance?” say the designers of the Bike Washing Machine, a stationary bike with a build-in washing machine device that is powered by cycling(1).
The designers stress that the device is perfect for individuals who may not have room for both a washing machine and a stationary bicycle in their apartment – apartment dwellers, for example. It can also help individuals save on electricity bills.
A New Twist On An Old Concept
The idea of a bicycle-powered washing machine isn’t new – in 2011, a design student announced that he had invented a cycling-powered washing machine which could be mounted on the back of a regular bicycle – but no previous prototype has ever successfully made it to market.
The challenge for the inventors of the Bike Washing Machine will be getting the invention past the prototype phase and into production.
With a simple, streamlined design, the students who created the bike are hoping it’s efficient enough to be a viable product.
“When you ride this bike, the pedalling motion causes the drum of the washing machine to rotate; at the same time, superfluous electricity is generated which can be used to power the display screen or be stored for future use,” they explain(2).
Long-Term Benefits Of Cycling
A study in the Journal of Diabetes and Science Technology looking at the effects of exercise using stationary bicycles – sometimes referred to as “spinning” – on individuals with diabetes found that the exercise regime had positive neuropsychological effects, improving cognitive function and helping with diabetes management(3).
Other studies have found that using bicycles – stationary or not – for exercise has positive long-term effects on multiple conditions, most notably including congestive heart failure(4).
Of course, getting regular exercise is a great idea even if you don’t have a chronic illness.
Contemporary Solutions To Contemporary Problems
While it may seem like little more than a novelty, a bicycle-powered washing machine is only one of the many ways people are striving to reduce energy consumption and promote a healthier lifestyle at the same time.
These new inventions, which rely on the human body to generate power, also present new implications for “off-the-grid” living.
Although it’s not practical for powering any operation much larger than a washing machine, the idea of harnessing “people power” is gaining traction along with other alternative forms of energy, such as solar power.
- According To This Microbiologist, You’ve Been Pooping Wrong Your Whole Life And It’s Hurting You
If you’re squeamish about poop this may not be the article for you, but the fact is, most of us …
- Two Minutes of Walking For Each Hour Spent Sitting Can Drastically Improve Health, Study Says
We all know that a sedentary lifestyle isn’t ideal, but many people just can’t help it: they have jobs that …
- Study Shows That Eating Protein in Equal Amounts Throughout The Day Is Better For Muscles
Go to any fitness and bodybuilding website and scroll through the articles, and you’ll find hundreds or even thousands talking about …
- New Technology Helps Stimulate The Immune System to “Relentlessly Attack” Cancer Cells
When it comes to breast cancer, the best offense is a good defense – early detection, quickly followed up by intensive …
- Biomarkers In Urine Test Help Doctors Detect Early Stage Pancreatic Cancer With Over 90% Accuracy
Of all the different forms of cancer, pancreatic cancer has one of the lowest five-year survival rates. This is in …
- Shocking Investigation Reveals Herbal Supplements From GNC, Target, Wal-Mart, Walgreens are FAKE!
For the millions who shop for store-brand herbal supplements at mega retailers like Walmart, you’re in for a big surprise. …
- Eating Coconut Oil Daily Can Help Reduce Waist Size And Lower Cholesterol Levels, Study Finds
Coconut oil is well-known for its health benefits – hailed as a superfood, many people swear by its ability to reduce …
- Dove’s ‘Real’ Beauty Products Are Filled With Cancer-Causing Chemicals, Fake Dyes and Toxic Fragrance
In one sense the marketing gurus of Dove beauty and skin care products hit the nail on the head. They …
- Sugar Helps Suppress Stress Levels But Comes With Serious Health Risks, Scientists Say
It’s common knowledge for many of us – especially those of us who actively fight to curb our sweet tooth …
- Taking a 45-Minute Nap During The Day Can Improve Your Memory by Fivefold, Study Finds
Who doesn’t love a good nap? While naps are considered important for children in early phases of development, they are equally …
- Mom Wakes Up One Morning Blind. It’s All Because She’s Been Drinking Too Many Cans of Red Bull…
When Lena Lupari, a twenty-six year-old mother of three from Northern Ireland, started going blind, her doctors were quick to …
- Drinking 450mL of Beet Juice Every Day Can Help Improve Cognitive Function, Study Finds
Beet juice may not be popular for its taste, but its health benefits are serious business, according to a recent …
- California Will Be The 1st State To Label Monsanto’s Roundup as Cancer-Causing
California just dealt Monsanto a blow as the state’s Environmental Protection Agency will now list glyphosate — the toxic main …
- Researchers May Have Found a Way To Stop Breast Cancer From Spreading To The Bones
A breakthrough study published in the journal Nature has the potential to dramatically improve survival rates of thousands of breast …
- How A Single Serving Of Curry Can Boost Your Heart Health
Everyone knows curry is delicious – that’s why it’s popular all over the world, from India to Japan. In a …