Steal-cut oats usually take about 40 minutes to cook.
Nobody wants to spend that kind of time first thing in the morning.
This hack will transform your mornings.
Just make this recipe on the weekend and enjoy quick, healthy breakfast all week long! Best of all, they’ll have the same consistency as a fresh batch.
Frozen Oatmeal Hack Recipe
Makes 7 days worth of breakfast if you use 3 oatmeal “muffins” per serving.
- 8 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups steel-cut oats
- 7 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Heat salted water until it boils. Add oats and stir.
- Lower heat to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off heat, add toppings and stir. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Grease 21 sections of two 12-cup muffin tins
- Pour in oatmeal and freeze for 5 hours or more.
- Remove pan from freezer and thaw for a few minutes.
- Using a butterknife, prop out the oatmeal and place in a freezer bag.
- Keep frozen for future use.
- In the morning, place 2-3 in a saucepan with a bit of water to heat up.
- Add any toppings you’d like (banana, blueberries, walnuts or pecans)
Note: You can also choose to put them in a bowl and into a microwave for 2-3 minutes if you’re really short on time.