From time to time, it is completely normal to experience an ache or pain and you should not let it make you paranoid.
There are, however, certain sharp aches and pains, fevers, and headaches which can come on quite quickly and may be indicative of a serious health problem.
The following conditions are examples of pain that aren’t ordinary and should not be ignored.
1. Persistent Tooth Nerve Pain
The main cause for tooth pain is an exposed nerve and it is most often the result of damaged, cracked, or decaying enamel. A person puts overall health at great risk when ignoring tooth pain because it can lead to broken teeth, chewing problems, tooth abscesses, pus formation, tooth loss, severe pain, and life-threatening infections.
2. Burning in the Feet or Legs
Pain in the legs or feet that comes on quickly and does not resolve within a matter of minutes is a condition that needs to be seen by a physician immediately. Some potential causes for feet and leg pain are:
- Blood vessel distress: pain that occurs while walking could be the result of claudication, or a decreased blood supply to the area. This condition is most often a symptom of peripheral arterial disease or PAD, which is a narrowing of the arteries that deliver blood to and from the legs. Smoking, obesity, high cholesterol, and hypertension are all major risk factors associated with PAD.
- Peripheral neuropathy: Sometimes pain in the leg or foot is caused by neuropathy–a disorder of the peripheral motor, autonomic, and sensory nerves of the spinal cord. The symptoms of neuropathy include tingling, numbness, and a heavy sensation that usually start in the feet and might cause burning in the legs.
- Electrolyte imbalance: in order for muscles to be healthy, the nerves must be supported by the proper balance of electrolytes in the body. An imbalance in electrolyte levels can cause muscle cramps, aches, and pain.
- Back problems: conditions that affect the spine and back can also lead to leg pain. Spinal stenosis is a condition in which the spinal canal gradually narrows and causes pressure and pain on the spinal nerves. Spinal stenosis can be caused by scoliosis, arthritis, or a spinal injury.
- Cauda equina syndrome: if leg pains cause a loss of bowel or bladder control or numbness near the vagina or anus, it is important to seek immediate medical care. Cauda equina syndrome is a rare disorder that affects the nerves located at the end of the spine. Without immediate medical treatment, the spinal cord can shut down, causing permanent paralysis.
3. Heart Attack Pain
Most people think symptoms of a heart attack always include chest pain and pressure; the most common heart attack symptom is pain or discomfort in the chest. A heart attack can also bring on shortness of breath; nausea; vomiting; extreme fatigue (sometimes it can last for days); and pain in the back, shoulders, and jaw.
4. Endometriosis Pain
Normal menstrual pain can make a woman resort to a heating pad and over-the-counter pain relievers. When menstrual pain lingers and is not alleviated by normal measures, however, it could be due to endometriosis.
The primary symptom of endometriosis is pelvic pain, which can be worse during the menstrual cycle. Other symptoms of endometriosis can include: painful bowel movements, painful periods, painful intercourse, excessive bleeding, infertility, nausea, diarrhea, constipation, and bloating, especially during menstruation.
People who have survived a brain aneurysm often describe it as the most horrible headache they have ever had. A brain aneurysm that has not yet ruptured is undetectable because it has no symptoms. According to the Brain Aneurysm Foundation, any of the following symptoms indicate immediate medical attention:
- Localized headache
- Pain above and behind the eye socket
- Dilated pupils
- Blurry or double vision
- Difficulty talking
- Weakness and numbness
6. Kidney Infection
An infection in the kidney will cause a deep, aching pain in the middle of the back, becoming unbearable rather quickly. Pyelonephritis is an infection in one or both kidneys caused by bacteria.
The symptoms of pyelonephritis include: pain and tenderness in the back (between the ribs and hips); fever; frequent and painful urination; nausea; and vomiting. Because pyelonephritis can be life-threatening, it is important to get immediate medical care to treat the condition.
7. Deep Vein Thrombosis
Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) is a blood clot that develops after extended sedentary periods or as a consequence of heart disease, cancer, or obesity. Long flights, long car rides, and an inactive lifestyle all make it hard for blood to get back to the heart.
Deep vein thrombosis usually happens in one leg only; the symptoms are swelling and a bluish tint to the extremity. DVT is a health issue that can bring with it many complications, so it is important to receive medical care if you display symptoms.
8. Appendicitis Pain
Appendicitis is an inflammation or swelling of the appendix, a small pouch that is attached to the colon. The appendix can rupture when it becomes blocked by feces, a tumor, a foreign object, or becomes infected.
Symptoms of appendicitis will vary but the most common include: pain in the lower right side of the abdomen, appetite loss, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, and abdominal swelling. Appendicitis is serious and requires immediate medical care to prevent serious health complications.
It is very important to never ignore any type of pain. When you feel something is not quite right with your body and you have unexplained pain, it is important to seek medical care.
Being proactive by seeking medical advice for pain will lead to the determination of the cause before the situation becomes more serious and possibly threatens your life.
- If You’ve Ever Woken Up Unable To Move, THIS Is What’s Happening To You…
Nightmares are something everyone experience at lest once in their lifetime: the feeling of being trapped, trying to run …
- Quaker Oats Sued Over Glyphosate Found In Its “All Natural” Oats
In a sea of unhealthy breakfast foods like toaster strudel and sugary cereal, oatmeal really stands out as a healthy …
- 4 Real Risk Factors For Heart Disease You Shouldn’t Ignore
The world is full of information. It’s also full of misinformation. Sometimes it’s hard to know which is which, especially …
- A Survey Was Given to 114 U.S. Doctors About Nutrition. Their Answers Should Be a Huge Wake Up Call for U.S. Healthcare.
Nutrition is pretty basic. You are what you eat and all that. We put our faith in our physicians to …
- Why Diet Matters for Oral Health
We talk about food for heart health and nutrition for brain health… but what about your mouth? It turns out …
- Nation’s First Soda Tax Passes In Berkeley, California
Big Soda took a loss on Election Day when voters in Berkeley, California approved a ballot measure that will place …
- Creamy, Easy To Make, Sugar-Free, Dairy-Free, Coconut Ice Cream
Dessert sure is sweet, but it typically comes with a price. That being said, it can be healthy and satisfying …
- Never Light These Candles In Your Home No Matter What – Here’s Why
Candles have a way to set the mood. Whether it’s a nice relaxing bath or a romantic dinner, flickering candles …
- Pay Close Attention To These Numbers When Buying Fruit!
Have you ever wondered what the numbers on some of the foods you buy really mean? It’s actually a lot more …
- 8 Beers That You Should Stop Drinking Immediately
Everything in moderation. Take beer, for example. A cold brew on a hot day can be refreshing and a nice …
- Animals’ Antibiotic Consumption Surpasses That Of Humans, Creating More Resistant Bacteria
Due to over-prescribing, many important antibiotics don’t work anymore. Antibiotic resistant bacteria are on the rise and have been for …
- These 5 Habits Are Harming Your Immune System And Ruining Your Health
From everyday airborne allergens to countertop bacteria, your immune system is a complex network that is constantly battling to keep …
- What This Neuroscientist Has To Say About Sleep Will Shock You (Never Skipping On Sleep Again!)
From early scientists to today’s advanced modern technology, our understanding of the significance of sleep has changed drastically over the …
- 6 Natural Mosquito Repellents That Work
Few things can be as frustrating as listening to mosquitos when trying to drift off to sleep or being bitten …
- Easy Diet and Lifestyle Changes for Preventing Diabetes
Diabetes is one of the leading health concerns in the Western world. Type II diabetes, the “lifestyle” disease that we …