Big wins can happen in small places.
The West Virginia State Supreme Court finalized a big blow to the biotech giant Monsanto this month, finishing a settlement causing Monsanto to pay $93 million to the tiny town of Nitro, West Virginia for poisoning citizens with Agent Orange chemicals.
The settlement was approved last year, but details were worked out only weeks ago as to how the funds were to be spent.
The settlement will require Monsanto to do the following:
- $9 million will be spent to clean dioxin contaminated dust from 4500 homes.
- $21 million will be spent to test to see if people have been poisoned with dioxin.
- Citizens will be monitored for such poisoning for 30 years, not just a few months.
- An additional $63 million is to be allotted if additional tests for dioxin contamination testing is necessary.
- Anyone who lived in the Nitro area between Jan. 1, 1948, and Sept. 3, 2010 will be tested for dioxin. Although they must show proof they lived in the area, they will be eligible for testing even if they no longer live in Nitro.
- Former or present employees of Monsanto are not eligible for any of these benefits.
- An office will be set up to organize testing for Nitro citizens. The registration of participants is to be overlooked by Charleston attorney Thomas Flaherty, who was appointed by the court.
- Residents have a right to file individual suits against Monsanto if medical tests show they suffered physical harm due to dioxin exposure.
Monsanto Produced Toxic Chemicals in Nitro
Just how were Nitro citizens exposed to dioxin? Monsanto was producing the toxic herbicide Agent Orange in Nitro, and dioxin is a chemical byproduct of the substance. It is known to cause serious health conditions. The factory which produced Agent Orange was opened in Nitro in 1948 and remained in operation until 2004, even though usage of this herbicide in the past (in Vietnam and other Asian countries) was fatal to millions of citizens and the war veterans who were exposed to it.
“There is no doubt that during and after the war, many Vietnamese absorbed this very toxic material [dioxin]. It is our belief from toxicological research and epidemiologicalstudies from many countries that this dioxin probably resulted in significant health effects in Vietnam.” – Arnold Schecter and John Constable
“It’s been a real long haul,” attorney Stuart Calwell told The Charleston Gazette. Calwell represented Nitro area residents in a class action suit that prompted Monsanto to make the settlement.
“The politics of dioxin has been bitterly debated since the Vietnam War, but … we know that there is a health issue there and hopefully people will get their houses cleaned and the risk will come to an end and those exposed in the past will have the benefit of keeping an eye on their health.”
The people of Nitro still need to fill out a register to receive the benefits outlined in the settlement. Due to the pivotal nature of this landmark settlement, Nitro citizens need to participate as fully as possible to set a precedent for other class action suits that farmers and consumers of GMO foods around the world might wage against Monsanto in the future to finally take them down.
If enough of us do it at once, then even their bloated coffers will finally be depleted, and we can enjoy a world without being poisoned to death. While this case did not involve glyphosate, another deadly toxin used in Monsanto herbicides such as RoundUp, its time will come soon.
- What Happens to Your Body When You Drink Carrot Juice Daily?
Carrots are one of the most popular vegetables in North America. This orange root vegetable also comes in purple, black, …
- The #1 Food To Avoid If You Have High Blood Pressure
Many people struggle with high blood pressure – almost 30 percent of Americans have high blood pressure, and medications to …
- Eating Saturated Fat Is Not The Problem, But Eating Trans Fats Is Another Story
In recent years, health experts and scientists have come to agree that saturated fat alone isn’t responsible for heart disease. …
- 4 Natural Foods That Have Proven Themselves To Be As Effective As Drugs
While many people take dietary supplements, there is thin evidence that most supplements actually have a positive impact on your …
- Eating Ghee Butter Is Actually Good For The Heart (And Here’s How To Make Your Own)
Many health experts since the 1970’s have utterly condemned saturated fats and have led us all to believe that when …
- 7 Foods That Help Keep Your Hunger Hormones In Check
When your stomach is empty, the way it informs us is efficient – and often troublesome for those who are …
- Two Natural Aphrodisiacs To Spice Up Your Love Life
Oysters, chocolate, honey, and even garlic all have one thing in common – they’ve been touted time and again as …
- Complete List of Cancer-Fighting Foods
There are hundreds of variations of cancer; its incidence has remained steady in North America over the last decade and …
- How to Make One of The Most Powerful Natural Medicine Known To Man – Turmeric Supplements
Turmeric is quickly rising as an all-healing superfood that can prevent a wide variety of chronic diseases. The East Indian …
- What Did The Chicken On Your Plate Eat?
Many people are concerned about healthier eating and are actively trying to reduce the amount of red meat in their …
- 8 Foods You Can Eat Raw To Fight Inflammation
Inflammation is a natural part of our bodies’ immune response, but at the same time, chronic inflammation can be seriously …
- Use This Low-Carb Grocery List To Help You Plan Your Meals More Easily
Cutting down your carbohydrate intake is a great way to lose weight, but many people find themselves stumped when it …
- Here’s Undeniable Proof That Grass Fed Butter Is a Superfood For The Heart
Grass-fed butter may be one of the most misunderstand foods. For the past 50 years, trusted medical professionals have been …
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids Show Promising Results In Cancer Treatment, Study Finds
The principle of “complementary medicine” is combining conventional medical treatments with less traditional, possibly naturopathic treatments in order to provide …
- The Scoop on Blueberries
Blueberries are a commonly talked about source of antioxidants, but do you know which antioxidants are packed into these berries? …