Most stiff necks occur from sleeping in an awkward position.
It can also be caused by improper posture.
Neck stiffness is actually quite annoying: pain and discomfort can easily spread to the shoulders and upper or lower back, severely limiting head mobility.
Forget over-the-counter pain relievers, all you need to do is follow these steps:
90-Second Relief Technique For a Stiff Neck
How To Loosen A Stiff Neck
Part 1: Cross Fiber Massage
- Identify which side of your neck is causing you pain.
- Take the hand on the opposite side of your body from your pain, and go find the spot in your neck that hurts.
- As you push into that spot with your fingers, turn your neck towards your hand as far as you can.
- Pull the muscles that hurt you towards the center of your neck in a diagonal motion.
Part 2: Neck Stretch
- Take your same hand and place it on top of your head.
- Turn your head and shoulders at a 45-degree angle.
- Pull your head towards the shoulder furthest from your pain and hold for 15-20 seconds.
- Pull more and hold again.
- Using the same stretch, place your shoulders straight and pull again.
- Repeat steps 3-4.
Part 3: Knuckle Massage
- Use your hand on the same side as your neck pain.
- Make a fist and let your knuckles sink into your neck.
- Let your neck rest on your knuckles.
- Adjust knuckles a little higher and repeat.
- Adjust knuckles a little lower and repeat.
The earlier you can make corrective changes to the muscle, the quicker the recovery!