Potatoes are one of the easiest crops to grow.
Even the most inhospitable soils will gladly incubate a potato or two, so it’s no wonder that the root vegetable actually kept millions of people away from starvation throughout history.
Since it’s versatile and easy to grow, why not dedicate a little piece of your backyard to growing your own? All it takes is a little bit of time and a little bit of straw.
How To Grow Potatoes
Laurie Ashbach, from the blog LiveDan330 came up with this genius way of growing potatoes! She used seed potatoes from the Seed Savers Exchange in the winter, and were delivered to her in the spring, just in time for planting.
It may seem like extra effort, but making sure you use organic potato seeds will really ensure that you will grow top quality potatoes.
Seed Savers Exchange describes itself as “A non-profit, member-supported organization that saves and shares the heirloom seeds of our garden heritage, forming a living legacy that can be passed down through generations.”
What You’ll Need For This Project:
- 4 fence posts
- Plastic or wire fencing (similar to what’s used for tomatoes)
- 1 eight-foot section of wire
- wire cutters
- 1 bale of straw
- 1 bag of compost
- bags of dirt
- A bag of sprouted potatoes
1. Start by placing the fence posts in the ground a few feet apart. If you have to, hammer down the posts to make sure they are firmly set in the ground.
2. Wrap the fencing around your posts and secure them into place using wire.
3. Throw the hay into the center of your fence to cover the sides of the fencing. It should look like a big nest that covers half the height of your fence and has a hole in the middle.
4. Fill the hole with compost.
5. Cut the potatoes and bury them in the compost in layers. Each section of potato should have 4 roots (also referred to as eyes) to ensure that it grows.
6. Water the compost thoroughly as the plant grows and water regularly, just enough to keep the soil moist but not enough to rot the plant.
7. It’s best to harvest your potatoes in the early to late fall, once the top of your vines have begun to wither and dry. It’s best to stop watering your plants a few days before harvesting to make them easiest to pick.
The End Result!
Here’s a video recounting this growing method, check it out down below! (The potatoes were planted on the first of June, and were harvested by the Fourth of July).
- Artichokes Are Rich In Phytochemicals That Can Help Protect The Liver And Prevent Cancer
When most people plan out their daily meals, artichokes aren’t exactly a frequent feature – but maybe they should be. …
- 5 DIY Homemade Shampoo Recipes
We are exposed to many toxic chemicals whether we like it or not – through our water supply, and even …
- Say Goodbye To High Blood Pressure And Cholesterol With This Powerful Drink
The American diet is full of bad fats, excess sugar and salt. These things can all contribute to severe heart …
- Multiple Studies Show THIS Fruit To Be a Powerful Medicine Against Cancer
The herbal medical community has recently announced studies of Soursop. This fruit is more effective for cancer treatment than the numerous …
- He Put 3 Sponges In The Refrigerator – When You See Why, You Will Do The Same Thing!
The fresher your food, the more nutrients it retains. This is a basic concept that everyone understands. So what can do …
- Painless Trick To Remove Stubborn Splinters In Your Skin Using Only a Bottle
There’s nothing quite like a stubborn splinter to ruin your day. The smaller they are, the harder they are to get …
- This Face Mask Naturally Removes Stains, Acne Scars And Wrinkles After Second Use
Your skin is like a window to what’s going on inside your body. What you eat and how you’re feeling …
- 30 Reasons To NEVER Put Another M&M In Your Mouth Ever Again
M&M’s can be hard to resist. Especially, if you grew up with them. Yet, very few people know about the …
- Burn Bay Leaves in the House and See What Happens After 10 Minutes!
If you’ve ever stepped inside a yoga studio or new age book shop, you may have noticed that these places …
- 13 Early Warning Signs of Lupus You Need to Know (And What To Do The Moment You See Them)
For many, lupus seems almost like a dream they’ll never experience. To 1.5 million Americans, the disease is very real and …
- 9 Simple Things You Can Do Right Now To De-Stress
We all experience and deal with stress in different ways, but there are some universal constants. Stress triggers hormones like …
- FDA Approves Frankenfish For Human Consumption And It’s Not Going To Be Labeled
As alarming as it may sound, genetically engineered salmon has now been officially approved by the FDA for human consumption. AquaBounty Technologies has developed …
- Man Refuses Chemo And Cures His Bladder Cancer Within 2 Yrs By Taking Cannabis Oil And Essiac Tea
On July 2012, at age 54, Trevor Smith was suddenly and unexpectedly diagnosed with stage T2a bladder cancer. The cancer had …
- Here is What You Need To Check Next Time You Buy Bottled Water
Bottled water sure is convenient, but are they safe? If you’ve ever turned your bottled water upside-down, you may have …
- How To STOP The Progression of Your BUNION With These 5 Natural Techniques
Feet aren’t exactly the first thing you look at when you meet someone. However, if they were more publicly displayed, …