Potatoes are one of the easiest crops to grow.
Even the most inhospitable soils will gladly incubate a potato or two, so it’s no wonder that the root vegetable actually kept millions of people away from starvation throughout history.
Since it’s versatile and easy to grow, why not dedicate a little piece of your backyard to growing your own? All it takes is a little bit of time and a little bit of straw.
How To Grow Potatoes
Laurie Ashbach, from the blog LiveDan330 came up with this genius way of growing potatoes! She used seed potatoes from the Seed Savers Exchange in the winter, and were delivered to her in the spring, just in time for planting.
It may seem like extra effort, but making sure you use organic potato seeds will really ensure that you will grow top quality potatoes.
Seed Savers Exchange describes itself as “A non-profit, member-supported organization that saves and shares the heirloom seeds of our garden heritage, forming a living legacy that can be passed down through generations.”
What You’ll Need For This Project:
- 4 fence posts
- Plastic or wire fencing (similar to what’s used for tomatoes)
- 1 eight-foot section of wire
- wire cutters
- 1 bale of straw
- 1 bag of compost
- bags of dirt
- A bag of sprouted potatoes
1. Start by placing the fence posts in the ground a few feet apart. If you have to, hammer down the posts to make sure they are firmly set in the ground.
2. Wrap the fencing around your posts and secure them into place using wire.
3. Throw the hay into the center of your fence to cover the sides of the fencing. It should look like a big nest that covers half the height of your fence and has a hole in the middle.
4. Fill the hole with compost.
5. Cut the potatoes and bury them in the compost in layers. Each section of potato should have 4 roots (also referred to as eyes) to ensure that it grows.
6. Water the compost thoroughly as the plant grows and water regularly, just enough to keep the soil moist but not enough to rot the plant.
7. It’s best to harvest your potatoes in the early to late fall, once the top of your vines have begun to wither and dry. It’s best to stop watering your plants a few days before harvesting to make them easiest to pick.
The End Result!
Here’s a video recounting this growing method, check it out down below! (The potatoes were planted on the first of June, and were harvested by the Fourth of July).
- 7 Surprising Health Benefits of Meditation Backed by Science
Age-old practices backed by modern science. No matter the tradition, as skeptical Americans, we require empirical evidence before we embrace …
- THIS Is Why Mountain Dew Is Terrible For You (Never Drink This Ever Again!)
Despite the increasing awareness of the harms of soda, Mountain dew is a still a popular drink among children and …
- Your Body is Killing Spontaneous Cancers As You Read This
It takes no more than 100 seconds for the body’s immune cells to identify and kill a cancer cell. Immune …
- 7 Signs You May Have an Anxiety Disorder
What’s Normal? Everyone experiences anxiety—it’s a helpful emotion for many people. The problem is when anxiety becomes your “normal:” when …
- The Shocking Reason Why You Need To Boil Cinnamon Before Using It For Weight Loss
If you didn’t already know, cinnamon is often used in weight loss recipes. And the reason for that is because eating …
- The Scientific Power of Naps
Studies have found different benefits—and detriments—to a nap’s timing, duration and even effect on different people, depending on one’s age …
- Big City Jail Creates Ingenious Way to Rehabilitate Prisoners. (and Feed Them, Too!)
(DenverPost) Instead of inmate beds, a bed of lettuce sits in the Denver jail’s Palmer Building, where a convict dormitory …
- 10 Herbs To Replace Painkillers Without Any Side Effects
We are a nation of pill-poppers! While prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) drugs fall slightly short of our addiction to marijuana …
- Your Depression Is NOT Caused By Chemical Imbalance. And Yes, There’s Way a To FIGHT It!
1 in 10 Americans currently takes antidepressants. In middle-aged women, this number goes up to 1 in 4 (1). These …
- Bad Cholesterol Activates Signaling Pathway That Promotes Cancer
We know that an accumulation of fat on the interior of artery walls–known as plaque–causes artheriosclerosis and contributes to heart …
- Study: Kitchen Sponges Are 200,000 Times Dirtier Than a Toilet Seat (And 17 Other Super Dirty Items)
When it comes to cleaning, the bathroom is typically where most of your efforts are focused. You probably make sure …
- 3-Ingredient Detox “Shots” To Alkalize Your Body, Burn Stubborn Belly Fat, And Fight Inflammation
Do you wake up in the morning dreading the long day ahead of you? You’re not alone. Every day, millions …
- This Spicy Tonic Protects You Against Strep Throat, Colds and Flu. (No More Coughing!)
Here’s a simple concoction of six ingredients that are highly effective in offering protection against strep throat, colds and flu. …
- 5 Tips On How To Prevent Workplace Stress From Aging You Faster
Chronic stress is bad for you – by now, this shouldn’t be a surprising statement. Chronic stress is linked to …
- 420-Pound Man Loses One-Third of His Body Weight by Changing One Habit In His Diet
Losing weight isn’t an easy feat. But it’s certainly rewarding! Maintaining weight loss isn’t just about exercise, it also requires …