Potatoes are one of the easiest crops to grow.
Even the most inhospitable soils will gladly incubate a potato or two, so it’s no wonder that the root vegetable actually kept millions of people away from starvation throughout history.
Since it’s versatile and easy to grow, why not dedicate a little piece of your backyard to growing your own? All it takes is a little bit of time and a little bit of straw.
How To Grow Potatoes
Laurie Ashbach, from the blog LiveDan330 came up with this genius way of growing potatoes! She used seed potatoes from the Seed Savers Exchange in the winter, and were delivered to her in the spring, just in time for planting.
It may seem like extra effort, but making sure you use organic potato seeds will really ensure that you will grow top quality potatoes.
Seed Savers Exchange describes itself as “A non-profit, member-supported organization that saves and shares the heirloom seeds of our garden heritage, forming a living legacy that can be passed down through generations.”
What You’ll Need For This Project:
- 4 fence posts
- Plastic or wire fencing (similar to what’s used for tomatoes)
- 1 eight-foot section of wire
- wire cutters
- 1 bale of straw
- 1 bag of compost
- bags of dirt
- A bag of sprouted potatoes
1. Start by placing the fence posts in the ground a few feet apart. If you have to, hammer down the posts to make sure they are firmly set in the ground.
2. Wrap the fencing around your posts and secure them into place using wire.
3. Throw the hay into the center of your fence to cover the sides of the fencing. It should look like a big nest that covers half the height of your fence and has a hole in the middle.
4. Fill the hole with compost.
5. Cut the potatoes and bury them in the compost in layers. Each section of potato should have 4 roots (also referred to as eyes) to ensure that it grows.
6. Water the compost thoroughly as the plant grows and water regularly, just enough to keep the soil moist but not enough to rot the plant.
7. It’s best to harvest your potatoes in the early to late fall, once the top of your vines have begun to wither and dry. It’s best to stop watering your plants a few days before harvesting to make them easiest to pick.
The End Result!
Here’s a video recounting this growing method, check it out down below! (The potatoes were planted on the first of June, and were harvested by the Fourth of July).
- 11 Ways Dehydration Could Be Making You Fat And Sick
The average human body is around 70% water. By not drinking enough water we are causing a whole raft of …
- Fatigue, Vitamin Deficiencies, and Diabetes: 7 Health Problems that Your Hands are Warning You About
The eyes may be the windows to the soul but your hands may be the windows to your blood and …
- Black Lemonade Recipe: The Cleansing Drink That Is So Powerful, You Need To Be Careful When Drinking It
With all the toxins in our environment, it’s a good idea to cleanse your innards every now and then. Sipping …
- Add 2 Tbsp. Of This Coconut Oil Mixture To Your Morning Coffee To Burn A TON Of Calories
Do you drink coffee every morning? If yes, the following coffee creamer recipe is definitely something you’ll want to try (if …
- The 5-Minute Yoga Routine That Can Help Restore Thyroid Levels
Yoga entails more than black stretchy pants and planks. It’s an Eastern practice that goes back thousands of years, an …
- How To Use Himalayan Salt Lamps For Better Air, Sleep And Mental Clarity
Himalayan crystal salt is the purest salt available on earth. Hence why it is used a lot for salt lamps. …
- Sleepless Children Are Aging Faster At A Cellular Level
The importance of sleep is often overlooked but it really can’t be over-emphasized. While you sleep, much of your body …
- Here’s The Homemade Cannabis Oil Recipe That People Are Using as a Chemo Alternative
People have been increasingly becoming aware of the anti-cancer benefits of cannabis over the last few years. Many studies done …
- How To Grow Aloe Vera At Home (And Health Benefits)
Aloe Vera is a member of the Old World succulent group known as Aloaceae. The plant has numerous healing properties …
- 72 Uses For Simple Household Products To Save Money & Avoid Toxins
Many cleaning products available on the market contain harmful toxins. Prolonged use of these products can cause skin irritation and …
- 10 High-Protein Vegetables You Need to Start Eating Today
Protein is the building blocks of muscles as well as bone, skin, hair, and nearly every other part of your …
- 7 Minutes. No Equipment. One Science-Backed Core Workout That Works
Working out is difficult for most people to do on a regular basis. The main issue that arises is making …
- The Many Benefits of Coriander Seed Oil and How to Use It
Coriander is a savory spice used extensively in Asian and Middle Eastern cuisine. It is the seed of the cilantro …
- 4 Diet Mistakes You’re Making that Only Create More Belly Fat
Many people (especially men) find that they accumulate abdominal fat that’s very hard to get rid of. This is especially …
- Teen Invents Bra That Can Save Millions After Mom Nearly Dies Of Breast Cancer
Breast cancer is one of the main health concerns that women face in this day and age. For many, learning of …