When it comes to weight loss, many people believe that high-intensity exercises are the only way to shed a few pounds. But weight loss isn’t about the activities you do once in a while to improve your health, it’s about your daily routine. That’s why exercises like walking can have such a profound impact on your weight and physical health.
The Joys of Walking
The part about walking is that it doesn’t present itself as exercise. It’s easy to spend the day on your feet without even noticing how much energy you’re spending.
Because it’s low impact, walking doesn’t put much strain on the muscles and bones, making it suitable for just about anyone. With regular practice, walking long distance can improve muscle tone and boost cardiovascular health.
Walking for Weight Loss
The amount of weight you’ll lose by walking depends on your body weight and walking pace. The heavier you are, the more calories you’ll burn.
For an average-sized adult, walking 4 miles in an hour translates to about 400 calories spent.
Although you can monitor your weight loss by distance, it’s much easier to use a pedometer as you walk. By keeping track of the number of steps you take every day, the device can help you adjust your workout to meet your weight loss goals.
More advanced pedometers and weight loss apps will even calculate your calorie expenditure and recommend how many steps you should be taking each day.
- It takes roughly 2000 steps to lose about 100 calories.
- One pound is roughly equivalent to 3 500 calories.
- So you’ll need to walk about 10000 steps daily to lose 1 pound per week (1).
Although it may seem daunting to meet your daily goals, keeping track of your step count will help you stay focused on your long-term goal and understand the cost of eating high-calorie meals, which take a lot of physical exertion to burn off.
How To Get Started
Walking more isn’t a very difficult thing to do, you just have to make a few adjustments to your lifestyle.
For example, get off the bus early or park far away from your destination and walk a few extra blocks. You can also walk to the grocery store and take the stairs whenever possible. To maximize your amount of steps, start and end your day by walking around your neighbourhood.
To keep it interesting, walk to new destinations every once in awhile, like parks or different neighbourhoods. Listening to music can also keep you energized and make exercising enjoyable.
In the cooler months, bundle up and walk outside or join a gym and use the treadmill. If you have trouble staying disciplined, recruit a friend to go with you.
To get the most out of your workout, keep your chin up and your eyes straight ahead. Squeeze in your glutes and abdomen to keep your back straight.
If you haven’t been active for a while or you suffer from a serious medical condition, consult your physician before exercising. It’s also a good idea to ease into your new exercise routine by starting off with 15 to 20 minutes of walking 3 days a week. Gradually increase to 30-60 minutes daily.
Taking it to the Next Level
To increase the difficulty of your workout, quicken your pace and use arm and leg weights to increase resistance. You can also try sprinting or get on your bike to switch it up and make exercising fun.
For long-term weight control, it’s important to pair your exercise regime with a clean diet and relaxed mind.
- Your Body Is Acidic. Here’s What You NEED To Do (The Real Truth Behind Cancer…)
Ever heard of Dr. Otto H. Warburg? Unless you or your family member has suffered from cancer and tried to …
- 9 Pesticide-filled Teas You Should Never Buy (and the Kind You Should!)
Tea is one of the most popular drinks enjoyed around the world. Americans drink up to 80 billion cups of …
- Take THIS Before Bed to Melt Away Stubborn Belly Fat While You Sleep
Melt Away Stubborn Belly Fat It’s normal for your weight to fluctuate by a few pounds, even when you exercise …
- The EXACT Amount of Epsom Salts You Should Be Adding to Your Bath Based on Your Weight
Epsom salt may look like salt, but it’s actually magnesium sulfate, a mineral compound (1). Epsom salt can be used …
- 8 Things Your Eyes Are Trying To Tell You About Your Health
It’s commonly claimed that “Your eyes are the window to your soul”. While there is some debate about who originally said …
- Here’s Why Women Need More Sleep Than Men (It Has Something To Do With Their Ability To Multi-Task)
While everyone should strive to get adequate sleep, a recent study from Duke University has shown that sleep deprivation may …
- How to Use a ¼ Teaspoon of Nutmeg to Fall Asleep and Relieve ALL Your Insomnia Symptoms Overnight
There’s nothing like a poor night of sleep to set you on the wrong foot for the day to come. …
- Top Doctors Are Warning Anyone Over 40 To Stop Taking Ibuprofen Immediately. Here’s Why…
What do you do when a headache settles in? Chances are, you probably do the same thing as when you …
- Spray This 3-Ingredient Oil On Your Feet 10 Minutes Before Bed And You’ll Be Dozing Off In No Time!
Do you have trouble falling asleep? Can you recall the last time you had a restful sleep and woke up rejuvenated? …
- 16 Delicious Foods That Burn Belly Fat and Support Weight Loss
Obesity is a way-to-common problem in America and throughout the world. In fact, according to the Nation Health Institute, in …
- How Only 15 Minutes of Walking Can Change Everything
Walking is the most ordinary thing a human can do. Unless we have a physical impairment, we take this activity …
- Here’s What You Didn’t Know You Could Do With Baking Soda (From Fighting Heartburn To Cancer)
Baking soda is one of those things that can do pretty much anything. Whether you use it for cleaning, personal hygiene …
- Try the World’s 7 Easiest Exercises for Back Fat and Underarm Flab
Fitness is a whole-body state. Muscle strength and tone along with cardiovascular health go together to complete the picture. No …
- Remove All Toxins From The Body In 3 Days (Prevent Cancer, Excess Fat And Water Retention!)
If you’re feeling tired or sluggish, it may be time to cleanse and detox your body. Things like stress, poor …
- 20 Natural Ways to Cleanse Your Lungs
Most of us take breathing for granted. Even if you don’t smoke or experience respiratory problems, an occasional lung cleanse …