The thyroid is part of the endocrine system, a small gland shaped like a butterfly and located in the lower part of your neck.
It’s responsible for regulating your metabolism by producing hormones that help cells get energy from food, regulate calcium levels in the blood, and contribute to growth and development.
Approximately 27 million people in the United States have thyroid disease—either too much or too little thyroid activity.
Hyperthyroidism is a condition in which there is too much thyroid hormone produced—the most common form is Grave’s disease. This is often hereditary and is more common in young women. It is sometimes the result of a virus that causes a temporary leakage of stored hormone. Treatment varies depending on a number of different factors.
More common is hypothyroidism in which the thyroid hormones produced are too few. There are many potential causes of this condition; the most common is an iodine deficiency. The good news is that an underactive thyroid can be regulated via diet.
Although a lack of iodine may be the culprit, it’s important to get professional nutritional advice before taking an iodine supplement because too much can cause a host of other issues—you must find the balance. Better to start with foods that naturally contain iodine like saltwater seafood, yogurt, eggs, cheese, and seaweed.
Foods that interfere with thyroid function are known as goitrogenic and can be avoided; a list is provided at the end of this article. Cruciferous vegetables—those in the broccoli and cabbage family—are big on the list.
Cooking can reduce the active ingredient in these foods to a tolerable level for some people, sometimes not. Fermenting certain vegetables increases their goitrogens.
Once thyroid function has been restored to normal, you may be able to gradually reintroduce the avoided foods, one at a time to monitor results. Your body will tell you if they are tolerable or not; often eating a goitrogenic food will cause your neck to feel swollen or tight.
- Bamboo shoots
- Bok choy
- Brussels sprouts
- Canola (rapeseed or yu choy)
- Chinese cabbage
- Choy sum
- Collard greens
- Kai-lan (Chinese broccoli)
- Mustard greens
- Pine nuts
- Soybeans (and soybean products such as tofu, soybean oil, soy flour, soy lecithin)
- Sweet Potatoes
- 8 Drinks That Make Dieting Easier
Having trouble sticking to your diet? Consider accompanying your meals with these drinks to keep you on track. 1. Ginger …
- 8 Foods Even The Experts Won’t Eat
Food scientists are shedding light on items loaded with toxins and chemicals–and simple swaps for a cleaner diet and supersized …
- Top 10 Evidence-Based Health Benefits of Kiwifruit
Kiwi is a small fruit with great power, packed into that little electric green fruit are large amounts of potassium, …
- Eat 3 Dates Daily And These 6 Things Will Happen!
Just like other dried healthy snacks, if you eat dates on a daily basis, you will get tremendous health benefits. …
- Does Green Tea Have Caffeine? –Your Questions Answered
Tea is one of the most universally enjoyed beverages on earth. It’s present in all cultures and countries, from China …
- Why You Should Avoid THESE Vegetable Oils At All Cost!
Why do you think it’s important to avoid fried foods? You may guess that it has something to do with …
- 4 Nutrition Rules That Make Eating Healthy Extremely Easy
The old adage “do as I say, not as I do” comes to mind when people pose questions about health; everyone …
- Complete List of Cancer-Fighting Foods
There are hundreds of variations of cancer; its incidence has remained steady in North America over the last decade and …
- 8 Signs You’re Not Getting Enough Potassium
We may only think of potassium in the context of bananas because we know these fun yellow fruits have a …
- 5 Nourishing Carrot Recipes. #3 Will Make You Drool.
Many parents try telling their children that the more carrots they eat – the better they will be able to …
- Super Green DETOX Drinks That Will Remove ALL Toxins And Excess Fat From Your Body
Your body routinely processes and eliminates toxins via urine, feces, perspiration, and breath. For the typical North American, however, toxins …
- 4 Natural Foods That Have Proven Themselves To Be As Effective As Drugs
While many people take dietary supplements, there is thin evidence that most supplements actually have a positive impact on your …
- Rich in Selenium, Brazil Nuts Are The Perfect Food For Fluoride Detox
Fluoride is a neurotoxin. It’s in our water and the food supply. It has been linked to cancer, neurological disorders, …
- How to Make Mayonnaise that’s Actually Real With Apple Cider Vinegar, Avocados And More
Mayonnaise is a beloved staple for sandwiches, pasta, tuna or potato salads and, of course, the all American hamburger. …
- 3 Ways of Knowing If Your Supplement is Safe or Effective
There is always a risk when you put something in your body: Will it work? What are the side effects? …