Almonds seem to get all the spotlight when it comes to how healthy nuts can be. Although it’s true that they’re nutritious, they’re not the only ones!
Walnuts are the perfect example.
They’re nutrient-dense and packed with (1):
- Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids
- Vitamin B6
How Walnuts Protect Your Heart
In a 2014 study, Dr. Penny Kris Eterton explains that it’s possible to reduce the risk of heart disease by 30% just by consuming a handful of walnuts or walnut oil four days a week. Increasing your dose to 5 times a week or more reduces your risk by 40% (2).
The study found ‘significant’ improvement in cholesterol levels and blood vessel flexibility, which helps blood flow smoothly, just four hours after people consumed either the shelled nuts or walnut oil.
The research suggests regular consumption would protect against cardiovascular disease in the long term. (source)
The researchers gave 15 participants with high blood cholesterol levels four treatments – two handfuls of shelled walnuts (85g), six grams of walnut skin, 34g of the nutmeat with the fat removed, or three tablespoons of oil (51g).
Note: 1 handful = 14 halves or 7 full walnuts (source)
They looked at their responses after 30 minutes, one hour, two hours, four hours and six hours.
The researchers found that a one-time consumption of walnut oil – also found in the shelled nuts – improved blood vessel health after four hours.
In other words, eating just two handfuls of walnuts could provide near-instant protection from heart disease.
Always Keep The Skin
It’s thought that most of the antioxidants in walnuts are found in the skin, making it one of the healthiest parts to consume, so make sure not to peel them before eating (3)!
- One of The Best Juice Combos For Lower Cholesterol, Weight Loss, and Better Sleep
Poor diet, little sleep, and lack of exercise don’t just take a toll on your waistline, they also take …
- This No-Bake Avocado Lime Cheesecake Will Blow Your Mind!
There are countless ways to use avocado in the kitchen: from classic guacamole to the odd and interesting Hummoli and …
- Coca-Cola Attempts to Go Healthy With Stevia-Sweetened Coke Life
A healthy Coke. Ah, how sweet. Really. Coca-Cola, in an effort to recoup decreases in sales of the last several …
- Fish Oil Prevents Brain Shrinkage in Eight-Year Study
Can an abundance of fish oils in the diet keep your brain from shrinking? A new study published in the …
- This Is What Happens To Your Body When You Ingest Okra
Okra, a flowering plant from the mallow family, produces edible seed pods that are amazingly good for you. Often used …
- 12 Uses For Cloves – A Wonder Spice With One of The World’s Highest Antioxidant Value
On the ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) scale used by the National Institute on Aging in the National Institutes of …
- Researchers Tested Dairy Cows From 8 Different Farms…Nobody Expected This!
Need another reason to ditch Round Up chemicals, including its main ingredient, glyphosate? If you’ve got milk, then more than …
- A Natural Herb To Curb Sugar Cravings (+ 8 Other Tips For Quitting Sugar!)
There’s no denying it: desserts are pleasurable to eat. They taste good on the tongue and start a chemical reaction in …
- 5 Nuts and Seeds That Fill You Up With Healthy Fats And Protein (They’re Perfect For Snacking!)
If you’re feeling hungry in the middle of the day but don’t want to commit to a full meal, nuts …
- 5 Killer Plant-Based Foods For Building Muscle
Who said that vegetarians don’t get enough protein? It turns out there are plenty of good sources of natural plant-based …
- 7 Amazing Health Benefits of Cabbage You Won’t Soon Forget
Okay, it’s not really magic. But this vegetable that looks a little like a brain is good for the brain—and …
- 4 Mind-Blowing Facts About Avocados
Avocados have been called the perfect food by some, and this title doesn’t come simply from its role as the primary …
- This Is What ¼ Teaspoon of Ginger Everyday Can Do For You And It’s Amazing!
It’s no secret that ginger packs a punch of flavor and is incredibly beneficial to your health. You’ve probably heard …
- 4 Amazing Benefits You Probably Don’t Know About Asparagus
This cruciferous vegetable is an excellent source of calcium, magnesium, beta- carotene, and vitamin B6, among other important nutrients, and …
- Eating a Handful of Nuts Every Day Lowers Your Risk of Dying From Any Cause by 20%, Study Says
[mks_dropcap style=”square” size=”52″ bg_color=”#1e73be” txt_color=”#ffffff”]W[/mks_dropcap]ith the increasing number of people suffering from nut allergies, in recent years the humble nut …