Almonds seem to get all the spotlight when it comes to how healthy nuts can be. Although it’s true that they’re nutritious, they’re not the only ones!
Walnuts are the perfect example.
They’re nutrient-dense and packed with (1):
- Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids
- Vitamin B6
How Walnuts Protect Your Heart
In a 2014 study, Dr. Penny Kris Eterton explains that it’s possible to reduce the risk of heart disease by 30% just by consuming a handful of walnuts or walnut oil four days a week. Increasing your dose to 5 times a week or more reduces your risk by 40% (2).
The study found ‘significant’ improvement in cholesterol levels and blood vessel flexibility, which helps blood flow smoothly, just four hours after people consumed either the shelled nuts or walnut oil.
The research suggests regular consumption would protect against cardiovascular disease in the long term. (source)
The researchers gave 15 participants with high blood cholesterol levels four treatments – two handfuls of shelled walnuts (85g), six grams of walnut skin, 34g of the nutmeat with the fat removed, or three tablespoons of oil (51g).
Note: 1 handful = 14 halves or 7 full walnuts (source)
They looked at their responses after 30 minutes, one hour, two hours, four hours and six hours.
The researchers found that a one-time consumption of walnut oil – also found in the shelled nuts – improved blood vessel health after four hours.
In other words, eating just two handfuls of walnuts could provide near-instant protection from heart disease.
Always Keep The Skin
It’s thought that most of the antioxidants in walnuts are found in the skin, making it one of the healthiest parts to consume, so make sure not to peel them before eating (3)!
- 7 Meatless Sources of Protein To Satisfy Your Muscles And Keep Your Gut Happy
Many vegans and vegetarians are all too familiar with the question: “But where do you get your protein?!” There are …
- Food Companies Are Doing Everything To Keep This One New Line Off of Nutrition Labels
This should be interesting. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has proposed a new regulation requiring a new line …
- 5 Ways to Improve Nutrient Absorption
Eating all the right fruits, veggies, and healthy foods isn’t very much help if your body isn’t getting all that …
- 5 Foods You Should Stop Eating (and What To Eat Instead)
There are many foods in this world you would have been better off never eating. This is especially true for …
- Dirt Poor: Have Fruits and Vegetables Become Less Nutritious?
They don’t make ’em like they used to. True about cars, refrigerators, radios, and virtually every other consumable good–including food. …
- The 4 Biggest Mistakes In Dietary Advice That Even Doctors Now Admit Must Be Corrected
Many of the things you have been told regarding nutrition are false. In modern medicine’s efforts to change the way …
- Top 10 Ways to Stop Craving for Sugar, Salt, and Fats
According to a recent article in the New York Times, “Food Corporations Turn to Chefs in a Quest for Healthy Flavor,” …
- 9 Amazing “No-Bread” Sandwich Ideas That Will Make You Drool
In recent years, many people have sworn off bread due to gluten intolerance or weight gain. So what is it like …
- Got Stones? Drink This Effective Lemon-Based Syrup To Help Cleanse Your Kidneys!
Kidney stones – hard, small mineral deposits that form in your kidneys – are increasingly common among adults today. While the minority …
- 5 Healthy Swiss Chard Recipes to Boost Your Intake of Vitamin K
Swiss chard is vastly underrated in the vegetable kingdom. With 16% more iron than kale, it is also an excellent …
- Fabulous Flax: Delicious Recipes To Boost Omega-3 Intake
Flax seeds are well known for their wide array of health benefits. High in omega-3 fatty acids, fiber and antioxidants, …
- The Benefits Of The Banana Flower (And How To Cook It!)
Bananas are a staple of many diets of the world. Delicious, nutritious, portable, prolific, and pretty, these fruits are grown …
- 8 Medically-Based Reasons to Consume Coconut Oil Every Day (No. 1 Boosts Good Cholesterol Levels)
Coconut oil has until recently been considered a bad thing to include in your diet because of its saturated fat …
- 7 Breakfast Foods You Should Avoid
Want to get off to a good start in the morning? Eating breakfast is always a fantastic way to get …
- 5 Killer Plant-Based Foods For Building Muscle
Who said that vegetarians don’t get enough protein? It turns out there are plenty of good sources of natural plant-based …