(originally written by Crystal)
So, I’ve done a few posts on natural cold remedies recently. Homemade vapor rub & shower soothers. You should be able to tell now that this time of the year is the worst on my family’s sinuses. In any cold fighting arsenal, you need something to treat that cough. So, I wanted to share with you my Great Grandma’s homemade cough syrup. She used it on all of her kids, grand-kids, and on me…and now I make it myself. It’s so-so-so simple with just 3 all-natural cough busting ingredients.
Olive Oil: Making a homemade cough syrup using olive oil will help you combat your cough as well as reduce reduce inflammation in the throat.
Honey: Honey helps with coughs, particularly buckwheat honey. In a study of 110 children, a single dose of buckwheat honey was just as effective as a single dose of dextromethorphan in relieving nocturnal cough and allowing proper sleep. You can use any type of honey you have on hand though.
Lemon: Because everyone knows that lemon & honey is the one of the best throat soother combinations.
- 3/4 cup raw organic honey
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 lemons – juiced
Add all ingredients to a small pot over medium heat until steaming. Remove from the heat & let it cool. Place it into a mason jar or other container with a tight fitting lid. Store it in the fridge for 3 months, or on the counter top for 1.5 months.
- Use by the teaspoon or tablespoon, as needed.
- Stir & warm before using
- Use as soon as you feel a cold coming on.
- Also great for allergies
Crystal is a Southern food & mom blogger who lives in North Carolina. She likes to to share recipes, ideas, & more that are budget friendly. You can find more of her posts on her blog Mrshappyhomemaker.
- The Ultimate Detox Bath
We unknowingly put a lot of toxins in our bodies. Pollution, stress and other factors create this combination that makes …
- Asthma Can Be Reduced By Increasing Vitamin D Levels And Consuming Ginger
Patients with chronic inflammatory diseases, such as asthma are typically vitamin D deficient and can benefit from both increases in …
- 10 Most Common Types of Eating Disorders. #7 Involves Eating Sand and Dirt!
An eating disorder is something that can happen to anybody. According to the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated …
- 3 Main Factors That Affect Your Risk of Developing Cancer
One way or another, cancer affects all of our lives – whether we’re affected by the illness ourselves or watching …
- Flu vs. Cold, and Why You Need to Know the Difference
Flu season is well underway, and if you haven’t contracted the flu yet this year, you should consider yourself lucky! …
- How Chronic Emotional Stress Can Ruin Your Health
Does interacting with your boss make the veins in your forehead stand out? Does your off-again-on-again-off-again relationship tie your stomach …
- Why You Should Use Essential Oils Instead of Antibiotics
All too often when you go to the doctor with an illness such as a cold or the flu or …
- Top 10 Signs You May Have a Thyroid Problem And What You Can Do About It
The thyroid is a small gland located in the center of the neck. Most people don’t think that much about …
- Top 7 Most Prescribed Drugs And Their Natural Counterparts
We don’t have to live in a medicated world, but we certainly choose to. The crux of the matter is …
- This Bug’s Bite Can Make You Temporarily Allergic to Red Meat
It’s a bizarre, circuitous story. The best kind. Several years ago, a researcher working on the development of cancer drug …
- Listening To This Before Bed Will Make Your Brain Tingle And Guarantee a Good Night’s Sleep
One of the most relaxing memories of childhood is having your parents whisper soothing lullabies to ease you into sleep. …
- 2 Simple Juice Recipes That Will Replace Your Diabetes Drugs
Brace yourself. In brief, here are the statistics for the prevalence of diabetes in North America. United States: 9.3% of …
- Germany to Legalize Medical Marijuana Next Year
Germany recently passed legislation authorizing the use of cannabis for medical use, following suit of nineteen other countries that have decriminalized …
- 5 Tips On How To Prevent Workplace Stress From Aging You Faster
Chronic stress is bad for you – by now, this shouldn’t be a surprising statement. Chronic stress is linked to …
- 10 Weight Loss Habits That Can Help You Lose Over 20-30 Lbs And Keep It Off
Fad diets can help you to lose weight quickly. You’ll probably be impressed with the results after a week. But …