A survey of ice served in ten British fast food restaurants found that at six of them, there were more bacteria in the ice than in the toilet water. (How thirsty are you?)
There are obviously food safety requirements and protocols in place to maintain healthy practices in restaurants—it seems that when it comes to ice, however, people don’t really give it much thought because it’s just water, right?
And the water is frozen—no danger of infection there. Wrong.
The Problem Isn’t Isolated, Isn’t Unique to Britain, and Isn’t Benign.
The Journal of American Medicine published two studies many years ago in which dangerous bacteria were found in crushed ice. Later, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention traced an outbreak of gastrointestinal illness to dirty commercial ice machines.
Bacteria are amazing little creatures: versatile, adaptive, and prolific. No one knows how many strains of bacteria there are; estimates are anywhere from 100,000 to 10 trillion. Let’s just say there are a lot.
Some are good for humans—so good, in fact, that we rely on them for our very existence, as in the case of the microorganisms in our bodies that regulate our digestive and immune systems. Some bacteria aren’t good for humans and many more have no effect—we come into contact with them every day. Bacteria live in cold much colder than freezing and hot hotter than boiling. Companies in the business of serving food must be diligent in every aspect to ensure food safety—there is no room for compromise.
Of the Offending Six Restaurants, Five are Prominent in the United States:
- Burger King
- Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC)
KFC, McDonald’s, and Nando’s had bacteria levels in their ice higher than acceptable. All restaurants were surprised at the findings; Nando’s, Starbuck’s, and McDonald’s denied responsibility but the rest promised they would step up their standards of hygiene. Dr Melody Greenwood, a former laboratory director for the Health Protection Agency, said the scientific survey experience is a good wake-up call:
“This is a warning. It is easy to forget ice can carry bacteria because they think it is too cold for germs, but that is far from the truth. Nasty bugs such as E.coli can lurk in ice machines. In some cases, such as Nando’s, we found double the amount of bacteria we would expect to find [in drinking water]. This is caused by things such as a failure to clean machines and scoops used by staff.”
There is no way to know if a restaurant maintains cleanliness standards in its ice machines. There haven’t been any recent outbreaks of illness associated with contaminated ice so risk is small. And let’s not ignore the restrooms: it’s nice to know the toilets are kept clean. To be on the safe side, maybe have just a glass of water—and hold the ice, thank you.
How All 10 Restaurants Compared (per ML)
- NANDO’S: More bacteria in ice than toilets. Tests on ice water at 22C: 2,100 organisms. Toilet water: 1,300 organisms.
- BURGER KING: More bacteria in ice than toilets. Ice bacteria at 37C: 260 organisms. Toilet water: Within drinking water regulations.
- McDONALD’S: More bacteria in ice than toilets. Ice bacteria at 22C: 1,400 organisms. Toilet water at 37C: 260 organisms.
- KFC: More bacteria in ice than toilets. Tests on ice water at 22C: 1,100 organisms. Toilet water: Less than 1.
- CAFE ROUGE: More bacteria in ice than toilets, but not above laboratory’s hygiene guidelines. Toilet water: Less than 1.
- STARBUCKS: More bacteria in ice than toilets but within laboratory hygiene guidelines.
- PIZZA HUT: Bacteria in ice at 22C: 430 organisms. Toilet water exceeded drinking water standards.
- PIZZA EXPRESS Bacteria in ice insignificant. Toilet water: 3,200 organisms at 22C, highest in study.
- GOURMET BURGER KITCHEN: Bacteria in ice insignificant. Toilet water: Within bacteria count guidelines.
- WAGAMAMA: Ice bacteria at both temperatures less than 10 organisms. Toilet water at 37C: 160 organisms.
- BigPharma’s Sanofi Pasteur Refuses To Recall Contaminated Vaccine
Yet another reason to distrust commonly administered vaccines has come to light, thanks to local news outlet The Morning Call …
- 17 Simple Home Remedies For Fighting Indigestion
There are many common causes for indigestion – eating too much is probably one of the most common, but it’s …
- Coca-Cola Paid $1,000,000 to Make Sure You Don’t Know This
Coca-Cola’s sales have been steadily declining in recent years due to the public’s increased awareness of its most popular drink’s …
- How To Lose Weight Using Simple Math
Keep this number in mind: 3500. That’s the number of calories in one pound. It is also the number …
- Could Bitter Melon be the Key to an Alternative Cancer Treatment
Unless you are an enthusiast for Asian cookery, you may not be aware of the bitter melon. This vegetable is …
- ‘Broken Promises of Genetically Modified Crops:’ Huge NY Times Investigation Exposes the Truth About GMOs, Monsanto’s Biggest Lies
Let’s face it, Monsanto has gotten away with crimes even the most hardened criminals would never even imagine doing. And …
- They Put Cameras In a Retirement Home. What They Saw Next Surprised Everyone…
Alzheimer’s is a terrible disease that affects millions of Americans and their loved ones. Alive Inside is a joyous cinematic …
- 5 Juices To STOP Drinking Immediately. They’re Loaded With Cancer-Causing Arsenic!
If you have children at home, then you know how juice can be a godsend in helping your children meet …
- Doctors Removed His Heart and Installed This Weird Device In Its Place. The Results are Shocking.
In March of 2011, a gentlemen by the name of Craig Lewis, a 55-year-old suffering from a life threatening heart …
- When You Experience a Food Coma, Your Body Is Trying To Tell You Something Important
Most of us have experienced the feeling of a “food coma” – that feeling of heaviness and fatigue that comes …
- This 3-Day Cleanse Is All You Need To Keep Your Lymphatic System Healthy All Year Long
The lymphatic system is a very important part of your body, but is often poorly understood. Poor lymphatic health is associated …
- Solar Panel Farm Grows 17,000 Tons Of Food Without Soil, Pesticides, Fossil Fuels Or Groundwater
Farming is probably the world’s oldest profession and something that is obviously universal to every culture and race in the …
- 8 Early Warning Signs of Lung Cancer You Should Know
These days it is rare to find someone whose life has not been directly affected by cancer. Out of the …
- 13 Ways To Use Honey in Home Remedies
The number of uses for honey is amazing. From wound salve and cough syrup to dandruff cure, honey can solve a wide …
- This Fatty Liver Cleanse Will Reset Your Metabolism And Jumpstart Your Fat Loss
Your liver plays about 500 different functions, including neutralizing toxins, fighting infections and manufacturing proteins and hormones (1). It even …