Although broccoli has previously been cited as a vegetable that can help to prevent and treat prostate cancer, recent studies have discovered that a certain component within broccoli may be able to work miracles for breast cancer patients as well. It’s all thanks to sulforaphane, an element in broccoli that can attack cancer stem cells.
The Story Behind Sulforaphane
Found both in broccoli and broccoli sprouts, sulforaphane can both target and kill cancer cells and prevent new cancer cells from growing. In breast cancer patients, it can actually inhibit the growth of the cancer stem cells, which can’t be treated through chemotherapy. Although the research on sulforaphane is in its early stages, researchers hope to eventually harness the power of sulforaphane in order to treat breast cancer.
Currently, studies are being performed on mice to determine the efficacy of sulforaphane. So far, scientists have detected significant changes when sulforaphane is introduced to the study. It seems that cancer cells treated with sulforaphane are unable to grow new tumors.
The findings of these studies were even more exciting because the sulforaphane appeared to have little effect on the normal, healthy cells. Since many cancer treatments cause significant damage to all cells, even the healthy ones, researchers hope that sulforaphane might be able to attack only the cancerous cells instead of all of them.
By targeting the cancer stem cells, sulforaphane offers scientists hope that one day they will be able to effectively attack all aspects of breast cancer. Finding a way to successfully control the cancer stem cells is one of the key goals of cancer research today, so sulforaphane may prove to be a valuable component of future cancer treatments.
Will Eating Broccoli Help?
Adding more broccoli to your diet is always good for you, since the delicious veggie is full of phytonutrients, vitamin C, and vitamin A, in addition to sulforaphane. However, the treatments that are being studied by cancer researchers contain a much highly concentrated version of sulforaphane, which unfortunately cannot be achieved by simply eating a lot of broccoli.
At this time, sulforaphane is still not recommended as a supplement since sufficient research hasn’t been completed. Some natural supplements are available, but possible side effects won’t be understood until more extensive research is conducted. In addition, these early sulforaphane supplements are unregulated, so concentration levels are unpredictable.
Even though you’re not going to be able to fight cancer by eating broccoli just yet, you can incorporate more broccoli into your diet in order to take advantage of all of the rich vitamins and minerals contained in the vegetable. Consider these simple ways to add a little more broccoli to your life:
- Steam it. Steamed broccoli and carrots make a great pairing over rice. Don’t steam your broccoli for too long though, as many of the vitamins and minerals may cook off.
- Dip it. Yes, the traditional dip for broccoli is ranch, but for a healthier option, try dipping your broccoli in hummus or your own homemade guacamole.
What are your favorite ways to serve broccoli? Share your ideas in the comments!
- What This Neuroscientist Has To Say About Sleep Will Shock You (Never Skipping On Sleep Again!)
From early scientists to today’s advanced modern technology, our understanding of the significance of sleep has changed drastically over the …
- 13 Easy Yoga Poses To FLUSH Stress Hormones From Your Body
Stress can quickly creep into your life and can often be hard to shake. Practicing various yoga poses have shown …
- Chinese Factory Workers Pictured Sticking FEET Into Giant Piles of Noodles
Ick, ick, and triple ick. Hidden cameras in Tongcheng Rice Noodle Factory in Guangdong province of China captured its workers …
- 7 Surprising Causes That Can Send Your Blood Sugar Levels on a Rollercoaster Ride of Highs and Lows
For those with diabetes, keeping their blood sugar levels in check can be a hassle. There are many variables that …
- Eat This Much Turmeric Every Day To Treat Depression Better Than Prozac
Everyone experiences depression at some point in their life. It’s inevitable. It’s part of what makes us human. When depression …
- Scorch Body Fat and Save Muscle!
You may or may not already know this but the human body has two main fuel tanks. One is referred …
- How To Detox Each Organ To Never Be Sick or Tired Again
We all know that the best ways to take care of your body is through diet and exercise, but are …
- These 2 Things Trigger Fibromyalgia. Here’s How To Avoid Them
There is no disputing we live in crazy, hectic times. Longer work hours to achieve the same or even less …
- Struggle With Belly Fat? You Need To Start Drinking These 4 Teas Immediately
One of the most frustrating types of fat is belly fat. This fat is not only stubborn, but it comes …
- Her House Always Smells Wonderful and Fresh and People Can’t Understand Why. Here’s Her Secret
There’s nothing quite like coming home to a clean, pleasant smelling home after a long day at work. While there …
- Pregnancy Test Leads To Cancer Diagnosis For Teenage Boy
When 18 year old Byron Geldard was diagnosed with cancer, doctors were stumped as to what kind of cancer he …
- Eliminate All Poisons From Your Body In 48 Hours: A Weekend Detoxification Diet Plan
Do you feel tired all of the time…and not just tired, but exhausted? When you look in the mirror do …
- Candida Overgrowth – 12 Things to Avoid If You Have It
Many women suffer from recurrent yeast infections. Candida albicans is a naturally-occurring microorganism (technically, a fungus) that lives in the …
- The Shocking Reason Why You Need To Boil Cinnamon Before Using It For Weight Loss
If you didn’t already know, cinnamon is often used in weight loss recipes. And the reason for that is because eating …
- NASA-Recommended: 18 Plants To Effectively Purify The Air In Your House!
Having houseplants is a great way to keep your air clean. There are many air filtering plants that can purify the …