A homemade toner for acne prone skin should be two things: simple and economical. No long list of required ingredients, and no sourcing ingredients all over town (or all over the internet!). And of course, it needs to be effective for problematic, blemish-prone skin.
Luckily, all of these requirements are fulfilled easily by two simple ingredients: green tea and apple cider vinegar. (See below for the recipe.)
Why Use Homemade Toner?
More often than not, commercial toners contain ingredients that irritate the skin and disrupt its natural balance. These ingredients include things like propylene glycol, harsh exfoliating acids, alcohol, mineral oil, glycerin, fragrance, and dyes. And if you’re lucky enough to find a quality toner that doesn’t contain unwanted chemicals, you’ll usually find a hefty price tag attached.
You don’t need to sacrifice quality or hard-earned cash for something like facial toner. Instead, get the best of both worlds by making your own homemade toner.
Two Important Ingredients for Homemade Toner
This homemade toner is made up of two primary ingredients: fresh green tea and raw apple cider vinegar.
Why green tea?
Green tea has strong anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that repair skin damage and reduce redness. In addtion, the antioxidants in green tea also help fight the aging process. So adding green tea to your homemade toner can banish blemishes and wrinkles in one fell swoop!
Why raw apple cider vinegar?
Apple cider vinegar helps restore the natural pH balance of your skin, which is an important key when making your own homemade toner. Healthy skin is protected by what is called the acid mantle, a natural barrier that guards against pathogenic bacteria.
In her book The Truth About Beauty, Kat James says this about the acid mantle:
“It can easily be obliterated by skin products that contain detergents, soaps, or antiseptics, and in many women–and even teens!–it is never given the change to recover or perform its intended function. Its absence inevitably leads to skin problems that can only be controlled but never resolved until we restore the acid mantle.”
Homemade Toner for Acne Recipe
- 3/4 cup strong green tea
- 1/4 cup raw apple cider vinegar
That’s it! Simply pour the green tea and apple cider vinegar into a glass jar or a glass spray bottle. Use a cotton ball to apply your homemade toner after cleansing or as often as desired. Store this toner in the refrigerator–it should keep for about two weeks this way.
While these two ingredients alone are enough to make a spectacular homemade toner, you can also experiment with adding things like:
- Orange essential oil (astringent, oil-reducing, stimulates collagen production).
- Lavender essential oil (antimicrobial, soothing, anti-inflammatory).
- Lemon juice (brightening, toning, helps reduce red marks).
- Aloe vera juice (anti-inflammatory, soothing, healing).
Have any other suggestions for homemade toner ingredients? Share your insights in the comments below!
- She Holds Coconut Oil In Her Mouth For 20 Minutes Every Day…The Effects Are Incredible!
Keeping your mouth healthy and teeth whiter just got a lot easier. All you have to start doing is add this …
- 10 Ways To Quickly Heal a Painful Mouth Ulcer Using Coconut Oil, Honey And Aloe Vera
It seems like the worst place to get a cut or sore is on your gums or the mucous tissue …
- Is Leptin Resistance The Root of Your Insatiable Hunger?
Weight loss might be more than just willpower. It turns out that Leptin levels might be the key to understanding …
- Chemical in Plastic is 100X More Toxic Than Initially Suspected?! (Here’s 7 Natural Ways to Detox)
The chemical bisphenol A – or BPA for short – is used in tens of thousands of consumer products, but …
- 5 Symptoms of Peptic Ulcers and 3 Things You Can Do About It
Peptic ulcers come in a number of different forms based on the location of the ulcer – a gastric ulcer …
- 6 Natural Strategies To Help Heal Gum Disease Within a Week or Less
Gingivitis is the mildest form of periodontal disease. Untreated gingivitis can advance to periodontitis, to which there are many degrees. …
- 10 Unusual Ways To Boost Brain Power
Your brain is the control centre of your body. In order to keep your mind strong, you need to stretch …
- 2 Ingredient Solution For Knee Pain Relief May Save You From Surgery
Your knees are the most important joints in your body. They’re also the largest. Not only do they support your …
- 3 Minerals To Reduce and Eliminate Cellulite
Every woman would love to know how to win the war against cellulite. CNN reports “more than 90 percent of …
- 9 Compelling Reasons Why You Need Hugs Everyday
(originally written by Josh Richardson) Hugging helps the immune system, cures depression, reduces stress and induces sleep. It’s invigorating, rejuvenating …
- This Type of Butter Causes Acne, Breast and Prostate Cancers
Butter is back in our good books. A flurry of recent studies has targeted the common belief that butter contributes …
- How To Tell If The Pain Between Your Shoulder Blades Is a Warning Sign Of Cancer
Back pain is incredibly common in adults throughout the world. Whether it’s the strain of sitting down or standing up …
- How to Train Your Brain To Prevent Memory Loss And Alzheimer’s Disease
Still think you can’t teach an old dog new tricks ? Turns out your brain is much more adaptable than …
- How to Make Your Own Natural Sunscreen Using Coconut Oil
Store bought sunscreens can have some harmful side effects and many people today are choosing to go a healthier, more …
- It’s True: Irregular Periods Can Indicate Heath Problems
“My Friend”, “The Monthlies”, “That Time of the Month”, “The Curse”, and other less pleasant idioms for monthly menstruation refer …