When most people plan out their daily meals, artichokes aren’t exactly a frequent feature – but maybe they should be.
Artichokes are rich in nutritional value, and particularly high in antioxidants, which can help prevent cancer(1). They can take a little time to prepare, but the health benefits they offer are well worth the effort.
An Antioxidant Powerhouse
In 2004, a US Food and Drug Administration study about antioxidant content in produce found that artichokes had some of the highest antioxidant content of all the foods tested(2).
This makes them valuable in delaying the onset of several age-related diseases and conditions(3).
Antioxidants help neutralize free radicals in the body, which can reduce the chances of cell mutation and the development of cancer.
Artichoke extract was also shown to slow tumor development in cases of breast cancer in one 2012 study(4). The anticancer potential of artichokes is strong, although more research is needed to determine exactly how dietary consumption of artichokes may help prevent cancer (the 2012 study featured artichoke extract used in a lab setting where artichoke extract was applied directly to tumor cells rather than ingested as part of a patients diet).
Artichoke And Liver Function
In a 2015 study, researchers examined the potential for artichoke leaf extract in treating paracetamol-induced hepatotoxicity in rats.
“Paracetamol overdose is a predominant cause of hepatotoxicity in both humans and experimental animals,” the researchers explained.
“These results suggest that [artichoke leaf extract, or ALE] may protect from paracetamol-induced liver toxicity via its antioxidant and anti-apoptotic properties.”(5)
Incorporating Artichoke Into Your Diet
Artichoke hearts can be purchased in jars or cans, but the best way to get the most nutritional value from artichokes is to prepare and eat them fresh.
Artichokes can be steamed or boiled. First, cut the stem off, and then trim away the sharp tips of the leaves. Pry the leaves open a bit so that the food will cook more evenly. You can tell an artichoke is ready to eat when you can pull out a central petal with ease.
Cooked artichokes can be served cold or warm. You eat them by pulling each leaf through your teeth to draw out the soft flesh, then discarding the leftover leaf.
Artichoke hearts are 100% edible and go great in salads, on sandwiches, or even on pizza – their flavor pairs nicely with herbs and sharp cheese, like goat cheese.[mks_toggle title=”sources” state=”close “]
- Study: Kitchen Sponges Are 200,000 Times Dirtier Than a Toilet Seat (And 17 Other Super Dirty Items)
When it comes to cleaning, the bathroom is typically where most of your efforts are focused. You probably make sure …
- The Shrimp You Eat May Not be What You Think It Is
We can spend hours in the grocery store reading labels. We want to make the best choices for our families. …
- This Natural Food Could End The Use of Harmful Pesticides And There’s Already a Patent For It
This article first appeared on JeffereyJaxen. Humanity is facing a toxicity problem as our immediate environment becomes increasingly riddled with pesticides. They are …
- This Little-Known Fact Is The Real Reason Why Wheat Is Toxic (And It’s NOT The Gluten…)
Wheat is quickly becoming a vicious allergen. You probably know someone who’s gluten intolerant, seeing as it’s one of the …
- This Is What Iceland Decided To Do This With Its Last McDonald’s Meal EVER Sold!
When McDonald’s closed it’s doors in Iceland in 2009 , the last meal purchased – a burger and fries bought …
- Top 3 Tips to Lower Your Risk of Breast Cancer
Many people consider cancer to be a scary possibility regardless of your lifestyle. Many people do all the “right” things …
- 3-Ingredient Detox “Shots” To Alkalize Your Body, Burn Stubborn Belly Fat, And Fight Inflammation
Do you wake up in the morning dreading the long day ahead of you? You’re not alone. Every day, millions …
- Eat Probiotic-Rich Foods Everyday To Improve Memory And Reduce Anxiety
Your body contains a truly massive amount of bacteria – over ten times the amount of your own cells! So it’s …
- 3-Ingredient Shots For Accelerated Weight Loss, Faster Metabolism & Better Digestion
Breakfast may be the most important meal of the day, but healthy eating goes way beyond a balanced meal. If …
- 15 Ways To Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Your Body And Home!
You’d think that the products you use to keep your home clean and healthy for your family would do just …
- Drink This Ginger-Banana Smoothie To Improve Digestion And Fight Inflammation
Like many of the most effective plants or herbs, ginger root has been used for centuries. Ginger has a very …
- Why You Should Stop Buying Hand Sanitizer Immediately…See What It Does To Your Skin!
Hand sanitizer is the of the most common household products in the United States. Most families and schools rely on …
- The Worst 5 Phones To Carry On You If You Want To Avoid Cancer
Cell phones do a great job at connecting people. The problem is, they may be slowly poisoning us with every call …
- They Put Cameras In a Retirement Home. What They Saw Next Surprised Everyone…
Alzheimer’s is a terrible disease that affects millions of Americans and their loved ones. Alive Inside is a joyous cinematic …
- Human Trial Shows Cannabidiol Reduces Seizures in Kids With Severe Form of Epilepsy
Years of anecdotal evidence showing the benefits of cannabidiol (CBD) in reducing the frequency of seizures in adults and children …