A typical trip down the aisle of your favorite grocery store greets you with labels proclaiming “All Natural”, “100% Natural”, “Low Fat”, “Gluten Free”, “Organic”, and so much more.
It is so easy to get overwhelmed, and drawn in by the labels; after all, that is the manufacturer’s goal. But, do you know what the wording on labels, and in advertisements really mean?
The word “Organic” is classified and defined by the FDA. Foods have to meet a particular standard, grown and processed in a particular way, in order to be able to advertise as “organic”. However, the FDA does not define or classify the word “natural” or the phrase “all natural”.
Scary huh? When given the choice between almond butter “A”, whose label reads “all natural” or almond butter “B” that doesn’t have any proclamations on the label – which do you choose?
The majority of us that are concerned for our health and wellness select the product with the “all natural” label. The truth is it is nothing more than a marketing ploy; in reality, it does not mean it is any healthier than almond butter “B”. What is important is to read the labels for nutrition information, and the ingredient list.
Ingredients Watch List
- Nitrates (sometimes referred to “Nitrities”)
- Potassium Sorbate
- Sodium Benzoate
- Calcium Carbonate
- Distilled Monoglycerides
- Pyridoxine Hydrochloride
- Sodium Hexametaphosphate
- Artificial Flavors
- Natural Flavors
Of course, that is just a small snapshot of ingredients to watch out for. To avoid preservatives and dyes, select foods with ingredients you can pronounce, with as few ingredients as possible.
“Natural flavors” appears on so many ingredient labels, it is difficult to know where to begin. But do you really know what a “natural flavor” is? In reality, this term can even be used on MSG products.
All-Natural claims have no universal base standards.
- All-Natural CAN USE pesticides, insecticides, or herbicides
- All-Natural CAN USE chemical fertilizers
- All-Natural CAN USE High Fructose Corn Syrup
- All-Natural CAN USE hydrogenated oils
- All-Natural CAN USE artificial preservatives
- All-Natural CAN USE Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs)!
Isn’t The FDA Supposed To Regulate This Stuff?
Most of us assume they are… According to the FDA’s website:
“The FDA is responsible for protecting the public health by assuring the safety, effectiveness, quality, and security of human and veterinary drugs, vaccines, and other biological products and medical devices. The FDA is also responsible for the safety and security of most of our nation’s food supply, all cosmetics, dietary supplements and products that give off radiation.”
Food labeling is tricky business. Manufacturers do have several requirements to meet prior to food being allowed on grocery store shelves. However, this doesn’t mean there isn’t ample confusion to go around.
To read the guidelines the FDA provides to food manufacturers, read the FDA Food Labeling Guide — Guidance For Industry. While overly filled with detail for most consumers, those that are concerned about the foods they eat, this is an invaluable resource.
There is a shortfall in food labeling; do not be swayed by the marketing ploys of food manufacturers and distributors. Contact your congressional representative and encourage them to have “natural” defined and classified. In the meantime, do your research, read the labels, and make the best choice for you and your family.
- Massive 10-Year Study Has Linked Diet Soda To Heart Attacks And Stroke
Just because a product says “healthy”, “natural”, or “sugar-free” doesn’t mean it’s good for you. Same goes for the word …
- How To Do a 3-Day Sugar Detox to ACCELERATE Fat Loss And Improve Your Mood!
Everybody gets a sweet tooth every once in a while, but it’s easy for these cravings to develop into full-blown …
- The World’s #1 Food For Heart Attack, Hypertension, Stroke And Cholesterol
Dates aren’t the most attractive fruit, but they certainly are sweet and nutritious. Studies show that this amazing fruit has …
- Top 6 Health Benefits of Magnesium
You probably already know a lot about the other vitamins and minerals that are crucial to your overall optimal health, …
- Make Turmeric-Tomato-Black Pepper Soup In 15 Minutes To Fight Cancer, Inflammation and More
A bowl of tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich are true tokens of childhood. Although it may seem like …
- Top 10 Anti-Inflammatory Foods You Can Eat Every Day
The links between chronic inflammation and increased risk of diseases like cancer are well documented – as one study puts …
- 30 Simple and Effective Whole Food Substitutes to Improve Your Total Wellness Right Away
If you haven’t caught up by now, the Standard American Diet – appropriately nicknamed SAD – is horrible. It’s literally …
- Pineapple And Turmeric Drink Reverses Cancer-Causing Inflammation And Even Beats The Common Cold!
Pineapple, turmeric, ginger and lemon all have two things in common. They’re all ingredients that have been shown to have …
- This Drink Will Burn Stomach Fat 4X Faster, Prevent Cancer, Improve Energy And Remove Toxins
Most tea can be found either in tea bag or loose leaf form. Occasionally, it can also be fermented and …
- Do Not Use Apple Cider Vinegar If You’re On Any Of These Medications
Nothing exists in a vacuum. Our bodies are complex organisms that are constantly moving, with chemicals acting and interacting. Sometimes …
- 7 Day Alkaline Diet Plan to Fight Inflammation and Disease
Although the alkaline diet may seem like the latest celebrity craze, you shouldn’t dismiss it so quickly. Forget how you …
- Top 10 Plant-Based Protein Foods You Should Be Eating
Proteins (comprised of a variety of twenty amino acids) provide cell structure and serve as neurotransmitters between cells. There’s protein …
- How Taking Turmeric Helps Your Body Block Fat and Your Liver Remove Toxins as Fast as Possible
Turmeric, “the golden spice”, is a staple in India and surrounding regions. As of late, it’s becoming increasingly popular in …
- The First U.S. School District to Begin Serving Only Organic, GMO-Free Meals
Hail to the trailblazers! No one would argue the importance of nutrition, especially for children. As their bodies develop, they …
- Soak Chia Seeds To Supercharge Your Metabolism, Burn Fat And Fight Inflammation
You may have heard about chia pets, the adorable children’s toy made from sprouted seeds. These beloved toys are actually …