A typical trip down the aisle of your favorite grocery store greets you with labels proclaiming “All Natural”, “100% Natural”, “Low Fat”, “Gluten Free”, “Organic”, and so much more.
It is so easy to get overwhelmed, and drawn in by the labels; after all, that is the manufacturer’s goal. But, do you know what the wording on labels, and in advertisements really mean?
The word “Organic” is classified and defined by the FDA. Foods have to meet a particular standard, grown and processed in a particular way, in order to be able to advertise as “organic”. However, the FDA does not define or classify the word “natural” or the phrase “all natural”.
Scary huh? When given the choice between almond butter “A”, whose label reads “all natural” or almond butter “B” that doesn’t have any proclamations on the label – which do you choose?
The majority of us that are concerned for our health and wellness select the product with the “all natural” label. The truth is it is nothing more than a marketing ploy; in reality, it does not mean it is any healthier than almond butter “B”. What is important is to read the labels for nutrition information, and the ingredient list.
Ingredients Watch List
- Nitrates (sometimes referred to “Nitrities”)
- Potassium Sorbate
- Sodium Benzoate
- Calcium Carbonate
- Distilled Monoglycerides
- Pyridoxine Hydrochloride
- Sodium Hexametaphosphate
- Artificial Flavors
- Natural Flavors
Of course, that is just a small snapshot of ingredients to watch out for. To avoid preservatives and dyes, select foods with ingredients you can pronounce, with as few ingredients as possible.
“Natural flavors” appears on so many ingredient labels, it is difficult to know where to begin. But do you really know what a “natural flavor” is? In reality, this term can even be used on MSG products.
All-Natural claims have no universal base standards.
- All-Natural CAN USE pesticides, insecticides, or herbicides
- All-Natural CAN USE chemical fertilizers
- All-Natural CAN USE High Fructose Corn Syrup
- All-Natural CAN USE hydrogenated oils
- All-Natural CAN USE artificial preservatives
- All-Natural CAN USE Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs)!
Isn’t The FDA Supposed To Regulate This Stuff?
Most of us assume they are… According to the FDA’s website:
“The FDA is responsible for protecting the public health by assuring the safety, effectiveness, quality, and security of human and veterinary drugs, vaccines, and other biological products and medical devices. The FDA is also responsible for the safety and security of most of our nation’s food supply, all cosmetics, dietary supplements and products that give off radiation.”
Food labeling is tricky business. Manufacturers do have several requirements to meet prior to food being allowed on grocery store shelves. However, this doesn’t mean there isn’t ample confusion to go around.
To read the guidelines the FDA provides to food manufacturers, read the FDA Food Labeling Guide — Guidance For Industry. While overly filled with detail for most consumers, those that are concerned about the foods they eat, this is an invaluable resource.
There is a shortfall in food labeling; do not be swayed by the marketing ploys of food manufacturers and distributors. Contact your congressional representative and encourage them to have “natural” defined and classified. In the meantime, do your research, read the labels, and make the best choice for you and your family.
- 3 Reasons to Consider Switching to This Naturally Pink Looking Salt (No. 1 It’s Rich In Minerals!)
Salt is an essential nutrient that our bodies require for transporting nutrients into and out of our cells, regulating blood …
- The 10 Most Cancer Causing Foods
Over the past few decades many common food items have been linked to increased cancer risk. Here are the 10 …
- This Powder has More Antioxidants Than Blueberries, Iron Than Spinach and Vitamin A Than Carrots
If you’re always on the look-out for superfoods, you already know about avocados, honey, turmeric, green tea, eggs, coconut oil, …
- 8 Health and Beauty Uses for Epsom Salt
Long gone are the days when magnesium sulfate, better known as Epsom salt, was used strictly to soothe tired feet. …
- 5 Excellent Reasons Why You Should Be Eating Ginger Every Day
Ginger is a popular spice, for good reason – it can add much-needed zing to many recipes, from stir-fry to …
- The Best Berries for Fighting Off Free Radicals
Of all the superfoods – foods with high amounts of nutrients, especially antioxidants – berries are thought to be some …
- 5 Ways Food Manufacturers are Misleading You
Everyday, grocery stores are filled with shoppers reading labels; squinting to see that fat or salt content or looking for …
- 5 Reasons Why Eating This Large Berry Makes You More Resistant to Heart Disease
Often deemed a “perfect food,” the avocado is considered one of the healthiest foods available. Even a study published in Nutrition …
- Top 8 Healing Herbs Just for Women
Many women go through sleeplessness, monthly menstrual aches, and a variety of other bothersome issues. As a result, it is …
- Is Subway Just as Unhealthy as McDonald’s?
If you watched the London Olympics last summer, you saw – every couple of minutes, it seemed – a parade …
- 5 Everyday Foods That Can Help Prevent Kidney Stones
The pain from having a kidney stone can be excruciating. This is why it is vital you ensure you are …
- Just Two Tablespoons of Chia Seeds Gives You 30% of Your Daily Recommended Intake For Magnesium
Chia, or saliva hispanica, is an herb with growing popularity. A member of the mint family, this tiny plant is …
- Study Reveals Shocking Fact About Men Who Like Spicy Food
It looks like manly men may have a thing for spicy food. That’s according to a study by researchers from …
- Top 3 Foods You Absolutely Need To Avoid If You Have Muscle, Joint or Fibromyalgia Pain
For many people living with chronic pain conditions, finding the right balance in one’s diet can be a struggle. You …
- This Fruit Tastes Just Like Chocolate Pudding And It’s Loaded With Vitamin C!
Just when you think you’ve heard it all, this chocolate tasting fruit comes along. Can life get any sweeter than …