A typical trip down the aisle of your favorite grocery store greets you with labels proclaiming “All Natural”, “100% Natural”, “Low Fat”, “Gluten Free”, “Organic”, and so much more.
It is so easy to get overwhelmed, and drawn in by the labels; after all, that is the manufacturer’s goal. But, do you know what the wording on labels, and in advertisements really mean?
The word “Organic” is classified and defined by the FDA. Foods have to meet a particular standard, grown and processed in a particular way, in order to be able to advertise as “organic”. However, the FDA does not define or classify the word “natural” or the phrase “all natural”.
Scary huh? When given the choice between almond butter “A”, whose label reads “all natural” or almond butter “B” that doesn’t have any proclamations on the label – which do you choose?
The majority of us that are concerned for our health and wellness select the product with the “all natural” label. The truth is it is nothing more than a marketing ploy; in reality, it does not mean it is any healthier than almond butter “B”. What is important is to read the labels for nutrition information, and the ingredient list.
Ingredients Watch List
- Nitrates (sometimes referred to “Nitrities”)
- Potassium Sorbate
- Sodium Benzoate
- Calcium Carbonate
- Distilled Monoglycerides
- Pyridoxine Hydrochloride
- Sodium Hexametaphosphate
- Artificial Flavors
- Natural Flavors
Of course, that is just a small snapshot of ingredients to watch out for. To avoid preservatives and dyes, select foods with ingredients you can pronounce, with as few ingredients as possible.
“Natural flavors” appears on so many ingredient labels, it is difficult to know where to begin. But do you really know what a “natural flavor” is? In reality, this term can even be used on MSG products.
All-Natural claims have no universal base standards.
- All-Natural CAN USE pesticides, insecticides, or herbicides
- All-Natural CAN USE chemical fertilizers
- All-Natural CAN USE High Fructose Corn Syrup
- All-Natural CAN USE hydrogenated oils
- All-Natural CAN USE artificial preservatives
- All-Natural CAN USE Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs)!
Isn’t The FDA Supposed To Regulate This Stuff?
Most of us assume they are… According to the FDA’s website:
“The FDA is responsible for protecting the public health by assuring the safety, effectiveness, quality, and security of human and veterinary drugs, vaccines, and other biological products and medical devices. The FDA is also responsible for the safety and security of most of our nation’s food supply, all cosmetics, dietary supplements and products that give off radiation.”
Food labeling is tricky business. Manufacturers do have several requirements to meet prior to food being allowed on grocery store shelves. However, this doesn’t mean there isn’t ample confusion to go around.
To read the guidelines the FDA provides to food manufacturers, read the FDA Food Labeling Guide — Guidance For Industry. While overly filled with detail for most consumers, those that are concerned about the foods they eat, this is an invaluable resource.
There is a shortfall in food labeling; do not be swayed by the marketing ploys of food manufacturers and distributors. Contact your congressional representative and encourage them to have “natural” defined and classified. In the meantime, do your research, read the labels, and make the best choice for you and your family.
- 6 Signs That You’re On a Good Diet
(originally written by David Sciola) Being of a Paleo persuasion, there are many foods I completely avoid that other diets …
- The 4 Best Sources of Carbs EVER for a Flatter Belly
They are everywhere—simple sugars that your body can process easily—the “BAD” carbs. If you are looking for a flat belly …
- 10 Superfoods You Can Add to Your Coffee
Each day a person gets about three opportunities to up their nutrition in order to sustain them for that day …
- 8 Surprising Reasons Why You Need to Be Drinking Kefir. (It’s Like Yogurt, But Better!)
Just about every culture in the world endorses a fermented food or drink for its health benefits, and has done …
- According to Researchers, Fruits Lose Over 80 Percent of Antioxidants After Being Refrigerated
Freeze-drying strawberries keeps all their Vitamin C and polyphenols and 92% of their antioxidants, saving more nutrients than by chilling …
- Never Heard of Chlorella Before? It’s Time That You Do!
Chlorella is a genus of single-celled, green algae that grow in the sunniest parts of freshwater bodies. According to Dr. Beth …
- 5 Research-Proven Steps to Eating a Healthy Diet
With every new diet fad comes a new set of rules about how to maintain a healthy diet. Although some …
- The 6 Biggest Diet Myths Debunked
There’s a lot of misinformation about health and dieting out there, and it can be hard to sift through all …
- 6 Specific Nutrients You Need to Build Strong, Healthy Bones
When it comes to building strong and healthy bones, focusing only on calcium alone can be a dangerous mistake. Although …
- 10 Amazing Health Benefits of Ginger
If you think GINGER is only useful in the kitchen, think again! Ginger is proven to have various beneficial effects …
- Prepare Ginger THIS Way to Prevent Cancer, Reduce Cholesterol And Lower Blood Sugar Levels!
How do you like your ginger? Do you stir-fry it, bake with it, or steep it as a tea? There …
- This Man Says Eating a Raw Food Diet Has Improved His Eyesight And Increased Energy Levels
For fruitarian and endurance athlete Michael Arnstein, his 15-mile commute to work isn’t by car, bus or train. Instead, he …
- Top Pharma-Brand of Children’s Vitamins Not So Healthy After All
For many parents, there is a concern that their children are receiving adequate nutrients and vitamins. It can be a …
- 10 Shocking Facts Processed Food Companies Hide From You
You likely know that processed foods contain excess sugars, sodium, bad fats and manufactured unnatural preservatives. What you might not …
- 7 Benefits You Get From Eating Bananas And 10 Weirdly Useful Things You Can Do With Banana Peels
Health Benefits of Bananas What are the health benefits of bananas? Bananas, the little fruit that is neatly packed …