Aloe vera has an intimidating appearance, but it is full of beneficial nutrients – containing at least 20 minerals, 12 vitamins, 18 amino acids, and 200 active enzymes. Often used topically as a natural anti-inflammatory, aloe vera is also safe to ingest and can boost your body’s collagen production.
Here’s a quick, easy and affordable recipe for an all-natural aloe vera smoothie that not only tastes great, but is great for you as well.
Aloe Vera Smoothie Recipe
- 1 aloe vera leaf
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
- raw honey to taste
- Using a small, sharp knife, skin the spikes off both sides of the leaf, then cut the leaf in half.
- Cut the top part of the skin off so you can see the gel inside, then turn the leaf over and cut the other side of the leaf off as well, exposing the clear aloe vera gel inside.
- Dice the gel up into chunks, then blend it with the rest of the ingredients in a food processor.
- Drink it immediately; this smoothie is a great morning beverage, best enjoyed on an empty stomach.
You can also prep more than one leaf at once and store them in a sealed glass jar in the fridge; fresh aloe vera, stored this way, will remain fresh for about a week.
How It Works
While aloe vera is widely known for its use as a topical anti-inflammatory – it can be used to treat sunburns and itchy bug bites – it’s also great for you when ingested, especially fresh like this.
Aloe vera is a great natural source for antioxidants, which slow the aging process and can help neutralize free radicals in the body(1).
Aloe vera has the distinction of being one of the few herbal remedies widely used in Western medicine, with the manufacturing of aloe vera extracts being one of the largest botanical industries in the world. It’s also a mild laxative, which can help ease constipation and assist your body’s natural detoxing processes(2).
Although fresh aloe vera can be difficult to find, many supermarkets are stocking as it has become more popular in recent years. You can also find it at health food stores. So pick up a bundle of this spiky green plant the next time you’re out grocery shopping and treat yourself to a tasty and super-healthy smoothie to support your body’s detox systems and slow the aging process – you’ll be glad you did.
- This Ravioli Recipe Combines 2 Superfoods For a Supercharged Meal Loaded With Antioxidants
The simplicity of this recipe may not be as obvious as it is; making your own pasta can sound daunting, …
- Slice Potatoes And Put Them In A Muffin Pan. They’ll Come Out Of The Oven A Family Favorite!
Potatoes are the ultimate comfort food. Easy to digest, potatoes have been a staple for people living in areas with …
- Homemade Herbal Decongestant – Instant Fire Cider
Autumn is a great time of year to start a batch of traditional fire cider, pungent and spicy blend of …
- This Turmeric-Lentil Soup Will Protect You From Type 2 Diabetes, Dementia and Cancer
Soup is one of the best ways to get a variety of nutrients while staying properly hydrated. Whether it’s finding …
- Pineapple And Turmeric Drink Reverses Cancer-Causing Inflammation And Even Beats The Common Cold!
Pineapple, turmeric, ginger and lemon all have two things in common. They’re all ingredients that have been shown to have …
- Raw Chocolate Smoothie Recipe with Avocado, Almond Milk, Banana and Raw Honey
Oh, my. This looks so incredibly delicious that we may have to put it at the top of the “gotta …
- Drink This Probiotic-Rich Lemonade To Boost Your Immune System And Improve Gut Health
There’s no drink more appropriate on a warm sunny day than a tall glass of lemonade, especially when citrus fruits …
- 5 Unexpected Ways to Use Avocados
The avocado, which is actually a fruit, not a vegetable, boasts a wide array of health benefits. Rich in fiber, …
- How To Make Vegan Cheese Using Cashews
Extra smooth with a subtle garlic flavor, this vegan cheese with cashews will make you forget about dairy. Guess what! You …
- How To Make Chocolate Cake With Avocado Instead Of Eggs And Butter
If you’re a real bonafide health nut, then chances are that you always have a few avocados in your kitchen. …
- Here’s a Natural Pain Reliever Idea That Doesn’t Require Pills
Rosemary is a multifunctional herb which has been used for centuries in traditional medicines all around the world. It is …
- 5 Mouth-Watering Apple Recipes
No need to over-complicate things when searching for that healthy snack in the supermarket when an apple can provide you …
- How To Make Homemade Matcha Marshmallows
There are plenty of reasons to avoid artificial food dyes. Studies have linked them to behavioral problems in children, including …
- 5 Soup Recipes To Warm The Bones
Winter is officially upon us, and with it, frigid temperatures are making their appearance across the nation. There is nothing …
- 5 Tasty Cherry Recipes That Will Give Your Body a Much Needed Boost In Melatonin
No one can resist the sweet tartness of a cherry. It turns out there is much more the cherry can …