Aloe vera has an intimidating appearance, but it is full of beneficial nutrients – containing at least 20 minerals, 12 vitamins, 18 amino acids, and 200 active enzymes. Often used topically as a natural anti-inflammatory, aloe vera is also safe to ingest and can boost your body’s collagen production.
Here’s a quick, easy and affordable recipe for an all-natural aloe vera smoothie that not only tastes great, but is great for you as well.
Aloe Vera Smoothie Recipe
- 1 aloe vera leaf
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
- raw honey to taste
- Using a small, sharp knife, skin the spikes off both sides of the leaf, then cut the leaf in half.
- Cut the top part of the skin off so you can see the gel inside, then turn the leaf over and cut the other side of the leaf off as well, exposing the clear aloe vera gel inside.
- Dice the gel up into chunks, then blend it with the rest of the ingredients in a food processor.
- Drink it immediately; this smoothie is a great morning beverage, best enjoyed on an empty stomach.
You can also prep more than one leaf at once and store them in a sealed glass jar in the fridge; fresh aloe vera, stored this way, will remain fresh for about a week.
How It Works
While aloe vera is widely known for its use as a topical anti-inflammatory – it can be used to treat sunburns and itchy bug bites – it’s also great for you when ingested, especially fresh like this.
Aloe vera is a great natural source for antioxidants, which slow the aging process and can help neutralize free radicals in the body(1).
Aloe vera has the distinction of being one of the few herbal remedies widely used in Western medicine, with the manufacturing of aloe vera extracts being one of the largest botanical industries in the world. It’s also a mild laxative, which can help ease constipation and assist your body’s natural detoxing processes(2).
Although fresh aloe vera can be difficult to find, many supermarkets are stocking as it has become more popular in recent years. You can also find it at health food stores. So pick up a bundle of this spiky green plant the next time you’re out grocery shopping and treat yourself to a tasty and super-healthy smoothie to support your body’s detox systems and slow the aging process – you’ll be glad you did.
- Drink This 2-Ingredient Beverage If You’re Concerned About Your Cholesterol Levels
This drink is loaded with natural antioxidants, as well as nutrients which naturally help lower LDL, or “bad” cholesterol levels. …
- This Turmeric-Lentil Soup Will Protect You From Type 2 Diabetes, Dementia and Cancer
Soup is one of the best ways to get a variety of nutrients while staying properly hydrated. Whether it’s finding …
- Pack In Protein With These Chickpea Recipes
Chickpeas (garbanzo beans) are a super versatile, low fat, and high fiber protein source rich in important minerals like phosphorus …
- 3-ingredient Gluten-Free Bread To Effortlessly Keep You In Fat-Burning Mode All Day Long
One of the hardest things for celiacs and gluten-intolerant people to give up is bread. In fact, gluten is a …
- Ginger, Honey and Cinnamon Mixture to Reverse Inflammation, Colds, Flu, Cramps, Diabetes And Cancer
Tea is often the first thing we reach for when we aren’t feeling well. While green tea has many benefits, …
- Prepare Healthy and Delicious Pineapple Popsicles Using Only 3 Ingredients
If you’ve ever been to Disneyland, you may be familiar with the Dole whip – a frozen desert featuring pineapple …
- This Smoothie Is So Good You Won’t Believe It Has One of the Most Powerful Antioxidants In The World
Smoothies are the perfect meal supplement for people looking to lose weight while still getting essential nutrients in their diet. …
- Eating Your Trees: Fun and Healthy Broccoli Recipes
Broccoli is rich in fiber, vitamin C, and tons of phytonutrients, and it’s available just about year round. While you …
- Cauliflower With Turmeric Makes For a Powerful Anti-Inflammatory And Anti-Cancer Snack
Cauliflower and turmeric are two superfoods that can be served as a hearty replacement for rice and pasta. Better still, the recipe …
- 34 Gluten-Free Crockpot Recipes You’ll Love
Using a crockpot for cooking is a convenient way to prepare your own healthy meals. This is especially true for …
- How to Make Chai Tea. (Reduce Inflammation, Strengthen Immunity, and Improve Digestion)
Suffering from indigestion or coming down with a cold? No problem! This unique chai tea recipe will help strengthen your …
- 5 Unexpected Ways to Use Avocados
The avocado, which is actually a fruit, not a vegetable, boasts a wide array of health benefits. Rich in fiber, …
- This 2-Minute Detox Drink Helps You Burn Fat And Fight Diabetes
Illnesses. Sometimes they’re easy to cure, other times not so much. That being said, having to deal with several health problems …
- Drink This Medicinal Tea To Detoxify Your Liver And Strengthen Your Immune System
Take your morning warm lemon water ritual to a new level with the anti-inflammatory and detoxing powers of ginger and …
- 5 Sweet Tooth Satisfying But Healthy Apricot Recipes. #5 Will Boost Heart Health.
Summer-ready apricots are a great and healthy way to satisfy your urge for something sweet, but also jam packed with …