Dandelion greens are a powerhouse of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients essential to your body’s health.
Here are a few reasons why you might want to include dandelion greens in your green smoothie (or generally in your diet).
1. Dandelion Detox
Dandelion greens contain two substances – mucilage and inulin – which are beneficial in detoxing the body and maintaining optimal health. These substances help absorb toxins from the food we eat and also help to maintain the correct balance between friendly bacteria and unfriendly bacteria in our bodies. Dandelion greens also help in the production of bile and in removing unnecessary hormones from the body so that they do not cause a build-up.
2. Vitamin and Mineral Powerhouse
Dandelion greens are also a great store of vitamins and minerals containing calcium, Vitamins A, E and K, iron, riboflavin, copper, manganese, phosphorous, potassium and magnesium; often in larger amounts than in other commonly eaten vegetables.
Dandelion greens have been found to inhibit inflammatory molecules and may also help control inflammation by suppressing COX-2 enzymes.
4. Good for Weight Loss
Many people today are looking to lose weight and dandelion greens are a great food to include in your diet if you are on a weight loss program. Not only are the greens low in calories but they also have a diuretic effect which prevents water retention. 
5. Help Prevent Osteoporosis and Improve Bone Density
Dandelion greens contain 10% of the RDA of calcium you need and four times the daily requirement of vitamin K. By taking these two together you are helping to optimize your bone density which in turn will reduce your risk of osteoporosis. 
Dandelion greens are also considered prebiotics. Prebiotics have a number of health benefits such as metabolic support, mineral absorption, vitamin utilization, and supporting the immune system. In additional prebiotics may also help normalize blood sugar levels and so be beneficial in the case of diabetes. 
7. Appetite Stimulant, Improved Digestion and Aiding an Upset Stomach
Dandelion can also be used in cases where an appetite stimulant is needed or where a patient has an upset stomach or other digestive complaints. The root of the dandelion plant however may have a mild laxative effect.
Although eating dandelion is generally considered safe, some people may have allergic reactions or get mouth sores, increased stomach acid or heartburn. If you have any kidney, gallbladder or gallstone issues then it is best to discuss your use of dandelion with your health care practitioner first and if you are allergic to herbs and flowers such as chamomile, daisies, chrysanthemums or marigolds then it is best to avoid dandelion as well.
Dandelion greens can be very beneficial for your health while still being low in calories. They are rich in nutrients, act as a prebiotic and antioxidant and are also used in detox diets. They are generally safe to eat but some people do experience allergic reactions.
- How To Do a 3-Day Sugar Detox to ACCELERATE Fat Loss And Improve Your Mood!
Everybody gets a sweet tooth every once in a while, but it’s easy for these cravings to develop into full-blown …
- The World’s #1 Food For Heart Attack, Hypertension, Stroke And Cholesterol
Dates aren’t the most attractive fruit, but they certainly are sweet and nutritious. Studies show that this amazing fruit has …
- Top 6 Health Benefits of Magnesium
You probably already know a lot about the other vitamins and minerals that are crucial to your overall optimal health, …
- Make Turmeric-Tomato-Black Pepper Soup In 15 Minutes To Fight Cancer, Inflammation and More
A bowl of tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich are true tokens of childhood. Although it may seem like …
- Top 10 Anti-Inflammatory Foods You Can Eat Every Day
The links between chronic inflammation and increased risk of diseases like cancer are well documented – as one study puts …
- How To Make Chocolate Cake With Avocado Instead Of Eggs And Butter
If you’re a real bonafide health nut, then chances are that you always have a few avocados in your kitchen. …
- Pineapple And Turmeric Drink Reverses Cancer-Causing Inflammation And Even Beats The Common Cold!
Pineapple, turmeric, ginger and lemon all have two things in common. They’re all ingredients that have been shown to have …
- This Drink Will Burn Stomach Fat 4X Faster, Prevent Cancer, Improve Energy And Remove Toxins
Most tea can be found either in tea bag or loose leaf form. Occasionally, it can also be fermented and …
- Do Not Use Apple Cider Vinegar If You’re On Any Of These Medications
Nothing exists in a vacuum. Our bodies are complex organisms that are constantly moving, with chemicals acting and interacting. Sometimes …
- 7 Day Alkaline Diet Plan to Fight Inflammation and Disease
Although the alkaline diet may seem like the latest celebrity craze, you shouldn’t dismiss it so quickly. Forget how you …
- Top 10 Plant-Based Protein Foods You Should Be Eating
Proteins (comprised of a variety of twenty amino acids) provide cell structure and serve as neurotransmitters between cells. There’s protein …
- How Taking Turmeric Helps Your Body Block Fat and Your Liver Remove Toxins as Fast as Possible
Turmeric, “the golden spice”, is a staple in India and surrounding regions. As of late, it’s becoming increasingly popular in …
- The First U.S. School District to Begin Serving Only Organic, GMO-Free Meals
Hail to the trailblazers! No one would argue the importance of nutrition, especially for children. As their bodies develop, they …
- Soak Chia Seeds To Supercharge Your Metabolism, Burn Fat And Fight Inflammation
You may have heard about chia pets, the adorable children’s toy made from sprouted seeds. These beloved toys are actually …
- 92 Alkaline Foods That Fight Cancer, Inflammation, Diabetes and Heart Disease
Human life, just like all life on earth, depends on appropriate pH levels in and around living organisms and cells. …