Going vegetarian or not is ultimately a personal choice – there are advantages and disadvantages to a vegetarian diet, but there are many factors that might influence someone into giving up meat.
Whether it’s factory farming practices, spiritual beliefs, or just a desire to eat healthier that’s motivating you to go vegetarian, here’s some things you can expect when you change your diet to exclude meat:
1. You Might Lose Weight
Some people lose weight when they first start eating a vegetarian diet, due to getting their protein from lower-calorie sources like tofu, tempeh, and other veggie products.
A study published in the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, showed that going vegetarian lead to an average weight loss of 7.5 pounds. And the longer the study, the greater the loss.
2. You’ll Gain New Bacteria In Your Gut
Our guts are constantly affected by what we eat. When you change your diet significantly, it changes the makeup of the bacteria in your gut – which can effect everything from your weight to your mental health. Researchers believe that eating more veggies can boost the population of healthy bacteria in the gut.
You may feel bloated at first or experience indigestion – these are common side effects of sudden drastic diet changes, so try transitioning to a vegetarian diet slowly rather than all at once.
3. You’ll Improve Your Heart Health
“Vegetarian diets confer protection against cardiovascular diseases, cardiometabolic risk factors, some cancers and total mortality,” one study concludes(2). And the reason for that is because plant-based diets are anti-inflammatory.
4. Your Sense Of Taste May Be Dulled
New vegetarians in particular need to make a special effort to get enough zinc – a heavy lifter which can affect many functions of your body, including your sense of taste. Beans and other legumes can interfere with the body’s absorption of zinc, which is found in nuts, whole grains, and dairy products, meaning that people who supplement their diets with bean-based protein sources like tofu need to pay extra attention to their zinc levels(3).
5. You May Need Longer To Recover After A Workout
Your body takes a little bit longer to process plant-based protein than it does animal-based proteins – meaning that vegetarian and vegan athletes may need extra post-workout recovery time. Getting post-workout protein from smoothies can help. Since liquids are absorbed more quickly into the body than solids.
6. You May Need To Supplement Your Diet With Multivitamins
Many vegetarians struggle with getting enough iron and other minerals in their diets. Between that and the zinc deficiency mentioned above, it might be a good idea for new vegetarians to invest in some quality multivitamins and mineral supplements – at least until you master the art of vegetarian cooking.
- Peanut Oil Hiding in Popular Cleaning and Personal Care Products
Some people are so intensely allergic to peanuts that the smell from someone else’s breath can cause a reaction–sometimes a …
- 2 Breathing Tricks To Help You De-Stress And Improve Digestion
Breathing is one of the most natural and essential acts for a living being. It’s an automatic reflex that requires …
- Why You Should Stop Using Vaseline Immediately And How To Make Your Own Non-Petroleum Jelly
Vaseline is a petroleum-based jelly that’s basically a byproduct of the oil industry. But did you know that prolonged use of petroleum jelly …
- Moisturizing, Pain-Relieving Bath Melts Recipe With Coconut Oil And Magnesium
Most people love to throw a bath bomb in the tub and soak their worries away. There are numerous types …
- Specialized Eyeglasses Make Cancer Glow Blue for Surgeons
A new prototype eyewear makes cancerous cells illuminate blue while looking through the lenses. The yet-unnamed device was developed by a …
- Got Wrinkles? Find Anti-Aging Skincare Fixes In Your Kitchen
There are plenty of lotions and creams out there to fight wrinkles and other signs of aging skin, but store-bought …
- 8 Things Your Eyes Are Trying To Tell You About Your Health
It’s commonly claimed that “Your eyes are the window to your soul”. While there is some debate about who originally said …
- 4 Antiviral Herbs And How To Use Them
The virus is a different creature than the bacteria. Some people find viruses “scarier” because antibiotics have no effect on …
- ‘Broken Promises of Genetically Modified Crops:’ Huge NY Times Investigation Exposes the Truth About GMOs, Monsanto’s Biggest Lies
Let’s face it, Monsanto has gotten away with crimes even the most hardened criminals would never even imagine doing. And …
- Scarlet Fever is Back and Every Parent Needs to Watch Out for These Warning Signs
Scarlet fever is an infection of Streptococcus A bacteria and accompanies “strep throat”. Its incidence has reduced drastically over the …
- 5 Effective Ways To STOP The Constant Ringing in Your Ears
Have you ever noticed that your ears start to ring after leaving a concert hall or listening to an explosion? …
- Crazy Things That People Do in Their Sleep and How to Help
Many people may mumble in their sleep or toss and turn. Some have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep. There …
- Fatigue, Vitamin Deficiencies, and Diabetes: 7 Health Problems that Your Hands are Warning You About
The eyes may be the windows to the soul but your hands may be the windows to your blood and …
- Love Hurts: The Neuroscience Behind Heartache
It’s that time of year again. Whether you’d like to admit it or not, Valentine’s Day brings with it emotions, …
- 5 Reasons Why You Should Visit Your Doctor Even if You Feel Healthy
The seemingly endless questions, and all of the poking and prodding that comes with having to endure a physical checkup …