Going vegetarian or not is ultimately a personal choice – there are advantages and disadvantages to a vegetarian diet, but there are many factors that might influence someone into giving up meat.
Whether it’s factory farming practices, spiritual beliefs, or just a desire to eat healthier that’s motivating you to go vegetarian, here’s some things you can expect when you change your diet to exclude meat:
1. You Might Lose Weight
Some people lose weight when they first start eating a vegetarian diet, due to getting their protein from lower-calorie sources like tofu, tempeh, and other veggie products.
A study published in the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, showed that going vegetarian lead to an average weight loss of 7.5 pounds. And the longer the study, the greater the loss.
2. You’ll Gain New Bacteria In Your Gut
Our guts are constantly affected by what we eat. When you change your diet significantly, it changes the makeup of the bacteria in your gut – which can effect everything from your weight to your mental health. Researchers believe that eating more veggies can boost the population of healthy bacteria in the gut.
You may feel bloated at first or experience indigestion – these are common side effects of sudden drastic diet changes, so try transitioning to a vegetarian diet slowly rather than all at once.
3. You’ll Improve Your Heart Health
“Vegetarian diets confer protection against cardiovascular diseases, cardiometabolic risk factors, some cancers and total mortality,” one study concludes(2). And the reason for that is because plant-based diets are anti-inflammatory.
4. Your Sense Of Taste May Be Dulled
New vegetarians in particular need to make a special effort to get enough zinc – a heavy lifter which can affect many functions of your body, including your sense of taste. Beans and other legumes can interfere with the body’s absorption of zinc, which is found in nuts, whole grains, and dairy products, meaning that people who supplement their diets with bean-based protein sources like tofu need to pay extra attention to their zinc levels(3).
5. You May Need Longer To Recover After A Workout
Your body takes a little bit longer to process plant-based protein than it does animal-based proteins – meaning that vegetarian and vegan athletes may need extra post-workout recovery time. Getting post-workout protein from smoothies can help. Since liquids are absorbed more quickly into the body than solids.
6. You May Need To Supplement Your Diet With Multivitamins
Many vegetarians struggle with getting enough iron and other minerals in their diets. Between that and the zinc deficiency mentioned above, it might be a good idea for new vegetarians to invest in some quality multivitamins and mineral supplements – at least until you master the art of vegetarian cooking.
- 41 Seconds Is All You Need To Learn How To Keep A Choking Baby From Dying
When asked about first aid, the people at St-John’s Ambulance found that over four-fifths of parents didn’t know what to do in …
- How to Differentiate Real Honey From The Fake Ones
More than three-fourths of the honey sold in U.S. grocery stores isn’t exactly what the bees produce, according to testing …
- 5 Detox Teas To Flush Out Toxins From Your Body And Nurture The Good Bacteria In Your Gut
While it’s more common to focus on popular health subjects such as weight loss, disease prevention, or physical appearance, many …
- Johnson and Johnson: Cancer Causing Ingredients Present in Baby Products
Johnson and Johnson is well-known for their family products. They have recently faced lawsuits and public outrage over their baby products. Moms …
- Chemical in Plastic is 100X More Toxic Than Initially Suspected?! (Here’s 7 Natural Ways to Detox)
The chemical bisphenol A – or BPA for short – is used in tens of thousands of consumer products, but …
- 10 Dead Simple Natural Pesticide Recipes. You Won’t Believe How Easy It Is To Make These!
Ever wonder what farmers did hundreds of years ago to fight off crop pests? Long before the invention of harmful …
- How To Add More Nutrients To Any Soil To Grow The Most Nutritious Fruits And Veggies Possible
In times past, not a lot of thought was given to the food we eat. We’d go to the grocery …
- Beware of The #1 Cause of Acute Liver Damage
Raise your hand is you’ve ever taken Tylenol. Chances are, you probably have some in your medicine cabinet and rely …
- The Latest Anti Aging Treatment… Bleach Bath?
While many of us will have bleach in our homes as a cleaning agent, recent research has suggested that this …
- 5 Key Nutrients to Boost The Immune System
Our immune system does a remarkable job of defending us against disease-causing microorganisms. Unfortunately, sometimes it is overrun by too …
- Cut 1 Lemon in 4 Parts And Put Some Salt On It…This Trick Will Change Your Life!
Ah, the lovely little lemon. Full of nutrition, this bright yellow citrus kills viruses and bacteria. Its fragrance promotes calm …
- How to Regrow Your Hair Naturally With These Herbs and Foods
“Male pattern baldness” is a phrase that instills fear and horror in most guys. This type of early hair loss …
- Replace Your Toxic Mouthwash With Green Tea To Get Rid Of Plaque And Bad Breath
Mouthwash widely recommended by dentists as an essential part of your oral health routine but recent studies hint that it …
- Could a Tax on Fizzy Drinks & Junk Foods Be Good For Our Health?
Doctors in the UK have announced they feel increasing tax on junk foods and fizzy drinks will help sway people …
- Popular Over-The-Counter Pills Used For Colds, Allergies And Pain Relief Linked to Dementia
We assume that over-the-counter meds for common ailments such as allergies and sleeplessness are safe. The most popular brands of these …