According to the Mayo Clinic, seven out of ten Americans take prescription drugs. These drugs could be anything from diabetes drugs to cancer medications, but the most commonly prescribed drugs are antibiotics, antidepressants, and painkillers(1).
“Often when people talk about health conditions they’re talking about chronic conditions such as heart disease or diabetes,” said Dr. St. Sauver for the Mayo Clinic.
“However, the second most common prescription was for antidepressants – that suggests mental health is a huge issue and is something we should focus on. And the third most common drugs were opioids, which is a bit concerning considering their addicting nature.”
However, there are even more concerns about the degree to which these medications are widely prescribed – specifically, many of them can contribute to chronic health problems by depleting valuable nutrients in your body. The medications that can cause such depletions include:
- Statins. Statins are generally taken to lower cholesterol(2).
- Antibiotics. Antibiotics are used to fight bacterial infections, as well as fungal infections and certain kinds of parasites(3).
- Antidepressants. Antidepressants are used to treat depression and anxiety, as well as to help manage other mental health problems such as bipolar disorder 2(4).
- Oral contraceptives. These hormonal medications are used to reduce the risk of unintended pregnancy.
- Diabetes drugs. Almost 60% of Americans living with diabetes take some form of oral medications, according to the American Diabetes Association(5).
- Antacids. These medications are found in both prescription and over-the-counter formats, and are used to treat heartburn by neutralizing stomach acid(6).
How These Medications Impact Your Health
While many people rely on these medications to manage chronic conditions and improve their overall health, the price they pay may be in the form of important nutrients that the body needs to function.
Statins, for example, can deplete your body’s supply of CoQ10, an antioxidant which is vital to cardiovascular health(7).
Antacids can lead to iron deficiency when taken over a long period of time. Maalox, Mylantia, Tums and Rolaids all work by neutralizing the acid pH of the stomach. This reduction of stomach acid decreases the absorption of iron into the body(8).
Antibiotics are known to wreak havoc on your intestinal flora, drastically reducing the diversity of your gut’s natural microbiome(9). Diabetes drugs like insulin can cause magnesium deficiency(10).
Meanwhile, antidepressants aren’t much better – they can cause the depletion of selenium, which protects cells from damage and supports thyroid function, and zinc, which aids with wound healing(11).
Finally, oral contraceptives and antidepressants both deplete your levels of B-complex vitamins when taken for long periods of time(12).
How To Supplement For Better Health
If you’re one of the many Americans who relies on these drugs on a daily basis, it’s important to tailor your diet to ensure that you’re replenishing the nutrients you need as they’re being depleted. The following infographic gives information on dietary sources of all the nutrients mentioned above, and how to supplement for the nutrients that you can’t get from your daily diet(13).
If you’re concerned about the long-term effects of a medication you’re taking, talk to your doctor about it – chances are they’ll have advice for either tapering off it, or, if that’s not possible, managing side effects like nutritional depletion.
- This Powerful Anti-Drinking Ad From Finland Will Give You Goosebumps…(Don’t Watch This at Night)
This might be the most eerie anti-drinking ad you’ve ever seen. The ad comes from Finland where alcoholism rates are …
- 12 Surprising Facts About Your Digestive System
There are two main purposes that your digestive system serves: first, it converts food into the nutrients your body needs, …
- This Fatty Liver Cleanse Will Reset Your Metabolism And Jumpstart Your Fat Loss
Your liver plays about 500 different functions, including neutralizing toxins, fighting infections and manufacturing proteins and hormones (1). It even …
- Former American Cancer Society Regional CEO Refuses To Drink Milk, Explains Why
“Got Milk?” While this was the U.S. dairy industry’s slogan for over two decades, former CEO of the Oregon division …
- Just 8 Weeks of Meditation Is Enough To Increase Gray-Matter In Your Brain
Just eight weeks of practicing meditation can spark measurable changes in brain regions associated with memory, stress, sense of self and …
- Fact or Fiction? Alcohol Can Help You Lose Weight
A recent study has found some interesting results – that moderate drinkers are often thinner than those who don’t touch …
- 110-Year-Old Man Reveals The 5 Foods Responsible For His Flawless Health
A man named Bernardo LaPallo is over 110 years old, although most would think he is younger. Like many living to be …
- This Petroleum-Derived Macaroni And Cheese Is One of The Worst Things You Could Ever Eat…
Many Americans rely on Kraft’s mac and cheese to make a quick dinner. Why? Because it’s convenient and cheap. The …
- 5 Outstanding Ways To Use Raw Honey And Coconut Oil Together
Raw Honey and coconut oil are some of the most versatile foods available. Not just because of their nutritional values …
- Eat This Much Turmeric Every Day To Treat Depression Better Than Prozac
Everyone experiences depression at some point in their life. It’s inevitable. It’s part of what makes us human. When depression …
- 5 Surprising Health Benefits of Daydreaming
We spend an approximate 1/3 to 1/2 of our lives in daydreams, that’s why we’re awesome! Teachers, bosses, parents and …
- 10 Ways To Quickly Heal a Painful Mouth Ulcer Using Coconut Oil, Honey And Aloe Vera
It seems like the worst place to get a cut or sore is on your gums or the mucous tissue …
- 8 Ways Working The Night Shift Hurts Your Health. Here’s What You Can Do About It
The U.S. has become a country requiring workers, 24×7. We can shop for groceries at 2:00 a.m., we can speak with …
- Say Goodbye To Ear Infection! Here’s How to Cure An Ear Infection Naturally in Just 1 Day!
Ear infections are one of the most common ailment children and adults suffer chronically. This is especially true for people …
- 7 Conditions that are Caused by Sleeping with Wet Hair
If you find yourself frequently sleeping with wet hair, you may think twice after reading this. You won’t magically wake …