Some shoes trap odour more than others, retaining sweat in which bacteria grows and produces that distinctive unpleasant “old shoe” smell.
Various foot conditions can contribute to the smell, but ultimately this is a problem just about everyone faces, especially when that favourite pair of shoes starts to get old. Fortunately, mother nature has provided us with a number of natural deodorizers which can help neutralize shoe odours.
Here are some natural ways of dealing with the lingering smell of old shoes.
1. Baking Soda
Baking soda is probably one of the most well-known deodorizers, used everywhere for housecleaning purposes. It’s even used by medical professionals to neutralize odours from medical waste(1). Just put a tablespoon of baking soda in each shoe, shake the shoes to spread the baking soda around, and let them sit overnight – you’ll notice a marked improvement by morning.
2. Sage and Lavender
Combine some sprigs of sage and lavender into small bundles and place them in your shoes, then leave the shoes in a sunny, well-ventilated spot for 24 hours. The sunlight and fresh air will ventilate and dry your shoes, and the lavender and sage will leave them smelling lovely.
3. Tea Tree Oil
A natural mild disinfectant(2), tea tree oil can kill odour-causing bacteria. Simply put drops of tea tree oil in your shoes and let them sit overnight in a well-ventilated area once a week.
4. Orange, Lemon or Grapefruit Peel
Often used as a natural air freshener, citrus peels can greatly improve the smell of your shoes. Instead of throwing away the peels from these citrus fruits, leave them overnight in your shoes to improve the smell.
Pinpointing The Cause Of Shoe Odour
The primary cause of that funky old shoe smell is bacteria, which thrives in an environment that’s moistened regularly by sweat. But some shoes have a tendency to build up a stronger smell than others, due to being more absorbent than others.
It’s a good idea to change the insoles of your shoes regularly to avoid problems with foot odour, or use special insoles that are designed to protect your shoes from odour and bacteria. Maintaining proper foot hygiene is necessary for your overall health and safety; poor foot hygiene, while not life-threatening, can lead to problems such as foot fungus.
Maintaining Good Foot Hygiene
Try to avoid wearing closed shoes every day, and make sure when you remove your shoes for the day you leave them in a well-ventilated, dry space. If you notice that you tend to sweat a lot, apply talcum powder to the soles of your feet before you put on your socks and shoes. This will help prevent excessive sweating and also help control the odour.
- What Hiccups, Ringing Ears, Popping Joints And A Whistling Nose Mean For Your Health
Sometimes, bodies make sounds that are loud and strange. Some of these sounds happen so often that we never stop …
- STOP Adding Splenda To Your Morning Coffee! Here’s What It Does To Your Body…
You were right to avoid artificial sweeteners. As reported by UPI, a new study links sucralose, sold as Splenda, to …
- A Compromised Liver Is Never a Good Sign…Thank God That Milk Thistle Exists!
Many herbs have tremendous medicinal value and have been used for thousands of years. As Western society catches up with other cultures that …
- Onions Can Help You With These 5 Health Conditions
The best part of about onions is peeling them layer by layer. Onions are nearly never eaten on their own, …
- 10+ Reasons To Massage Your Feet Before Bed (From Diabetes to Insomnia)
When it comes to your overall health, your feet are probably one of the last things you’d think of. And …
- The Shocking Story of How Aspartame Became Legal
Did you know that Aspartame was banned by the FDA twice? How is this product legal now? The bittersweet argument over whether …
- 10 Most Common Types of Eating Disorders. #7 Involves Eating Sand and Dirt!
An eating disorder is something that can happen to anybody. According to the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated …
- 6 Types of Prescription Drugs That Are Robbing Your Body of Important Nutrients
According to the Mayo Clinic, seven out of ten Americans take prescription drugs. These drugs could be anything from diabetes …
- One Simple Trick To Regrow Your Lettuce So You Never Have To Pay For A Salad Again
Salad is one of the most underrated meals. Most people think that it’s quite boring, but this meal’s potential is …
- 2 Kids Go Around The City Asking Smokers For a Light… What Happens Next Will Surprise You!
A television advertisement made in Thailand, which aimed to get people to quit smoking, has been hailed as one of …
- Warning Signs Your Magnesium, Potassium and Calcium Levels Are OFF and How To FIX It!
You might have noticed that working out or sweating excessively may leave you feeling tired and dehydrated even when you …
- This Man Cut His Thumb And Was Bleeding Excessively Until He Used THIS Spice…Amazing!
Believe it or not, cayenne pepper can save your life. You may have heard about how science is attempting to …
- Actor Mark Ruffalo Calls Out Monsanto: “You Are Poisoning People”
What would you do if you met one of the most powerful figures of the most corrupt company on earth …
- States With Medical Marijuana Have Fewer Painkiller Overdose Deaths
We’re finally on the right track. At least the statistics indicate so. For decades, marijuana has been illegal for growth, …
- Could Bitter Melon be the Key to an Alternative Cancer Treatment
Unless you are an enthusiast for Asian cookery, you may not be aware of the bitter melon. This vegetable is …