M&M’s can be hard to resist.
Especially, if you grew up with them.
Yet, very few people know about the dangerous side effects that come with eating M&M’s.
Here’s a list of 30 reasons why you should avoid these chocolates as much as possible.
The RED M&M’s Were Once Banned…
Back in 1976, amid serious concern over questionable dyes used, Red M&M’s were banned. It was believed that FD&C Red #2 was a carcinogen. But in 1983, they were reintroduced into the market, despite consumers urging Mars, the chocolate company that owns the brand to remove the dangerous dyes.
The CSPI has recommended that warning labels listing the risks of the eight approved FD&C food colors should be a requirement for all products containing these dangerous ingredients. The CSPI’s Dr. Jacobson said:
“The evidence that these petrochemicals worsen some children’s behavior is convincing. I hope that the committee will advise the agency to both require warning notices and encourage companies voluntarily to switch to safer natural colorings.”
M&M’s Ingredients List
Milk Chocolate (Sugar, Chocolate, Skim Milk, Cocoa Butter, Lactose, Milkfat, Soy Lecithin, Salt, Artificial Flavor), Sugar, Cornstarch, Less Than 1% – Corn Syrup, Dextrin, Coloring (Includes Blue 1 Lake, Yellow 6, Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 1, Red 40 Lake, Blue 2 Lake, Yellow 6 Lake, Blue 2), Gum Acacia.
- 93% of soy is genetically modified
- Can cause breast cancer
- Negatively impacts fertility and reproduction
- May lead to behavioral and cerebral abnormalities
- Produces malignant tumors
- Possible effects include: hay fever, low blood pressure, hives, asthma, allergic reaction
- Caution is advised if aspirin sensitive
- Damages DNA
- Causes swelling around the mouth
- Hyperactivity in children
- Can cause cancer
- Allergic reactions
- Nettle rash
- Swelling of the skin
- Can cause allergic reactions
- Petroleum based product
- Increases hyperactivity in children
- Increases brain tumors in lab rats
- Increases other abnormal cell development
- Dietary fiber from the Acacia tree
- Causes gas, nausea, loose stool and bloating
Despite there being other natural and safe coloring alternatives, the Mars company continues to use artificial dyes. Until they make the change, it’d be best for you and your family to give up these questionable tiny chocolates.
In the meantime you can swap your cravings for M&M’s with these satisfying dark chocolate bars:
- Equal Exchange: completely organic and fair trade
- Sweetriot: Fair trade and contains no GMO ingredients
- Good Cacao: These chocolate bars are enriched with supplements
- This Simple Sitting Test May Help Predict How Long You’ll Live
Claudio Gil Araujo and his associates formulated a very simple sitting test to predict how much longer adults aged 51-80 …
- 35 Easy Tips to Help Fend off Stress
Stress can be detrimental to your work performance, not to mention the negative effects it has on aging, anger, and …
- 5 Weird Reasons Not To Smoke
More and more studies are showing that smoking cigarettes is detrimental to your health. From bad breath to cancer to …
- This Miraculous Drink Will Work Wonders For Your Thyroid
A healthy thyroid means a healthy you! The thyroid gland is responsible for regulating our metabolism. It helps maintain our weight, improves digestion, skin …
- Have You Seen Anyone With a Semicolon Tattoo? (Project Raises Awareness About Mental Illness)
You may have seen one recently – a small tattoo on a friend or passer-by. They’re fairly innocuous, but they …
- 12 Acne Trigger Foods to Avoid (Plus, 10 Natural Ways to Get Rid of Your Pimples)
Acne is an uncomfortable embarrassment most of us seek to avoid. From birth into our 50’s, we can all suffer …
- DIY Home Remedy Kit for Cold and Flu Season (6 Items)
Noooooo! Summer can’t really be over–so soon! Yes, boys and girls in the Northern Hemisphere, summer is officially over. Children …
- 5 Easy Soaks To Rebalance Good Bacteria And Banish Stinky Feet Forever
No one likes having stinky feet. It can also be pretty embarrassing to have to take off your smelly shoes …
- Cheap Meals From Big Pharma Make Doctors Prescribe Expensive Drugs, Study Shows
There’s no such thing as a free lunch. It was true when the phrase was coined a hundred years ago …
- 4 Most Common Ways Your Body Tries To Warn You About Cancer
Given that over seven and a half million people will die from cancer this year, it’s natural for dread to …
- 27 Household Uses For Rubbing Alcohol You Need To Try
All-purpose cleaners are a lifesaver when it comes to saving time during your cleaning routine. But you don’t have to …
- GlaxoSmithKline Forced To Stop Paying Doctors To Promote Drugs After Major Bribery Investigation
GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) said this week it will respond to pressure to stop paying doctors to promote its products through speaking …
- Top 10 Signs You May Have a Thyroid Problem And What You Can Do About It
The thyroid is a small gland located in the center of the neck. Most people don’t think that much about …
- The Secret To Losing Weight Is In THIS Simple Drink (And You Probably Don’t Get Enough of It)
No one would argue that drinking water is necessary to maintain health. The standard recommendation for daily water intake is …
- How To Grow Tangerines At Home – It’s Easier Than You Think!
Tangerines are like little balls of sunshine that brighten up your fruit bowl. But tangerines are often GMO and travel …