Chapped or dry lips are a common occurrence that can happen to anyone. Not only are they painful but they’re also unattractive.
Some of the main causes for chapped lips are vitamin deficiency, dehydration, excessive licking of lips, sun exposure and harsh weather. Dry lips are especially prone to occur over winter as the air gets drier.
So, if you’re one to experience dry, flaky, and chapped lips frequently…keep on reading!
Step 1: Exfoliate
Contrary to popular belief, simply relying on lip balm is not the best way to prevent dry, chapped lips.
In fact, the most important thing you can do to fight chapped lips is to exfoliate. Removing the layer of dead skin cells covering your lips will improve the efficacy of your lip balm. Use the following recipe:
- 2 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of honey (it’s used to make sure the sugar sticks well together)
- Mix the sugar and honey together.
- Pour the mixture into a container and use within 1-2 weeks.
How to use:
- Take a dime size amount of scrub and rub gently onto lips.
- Let it sit for a few minutes to make the lip skin soft.
- Now use your fingers to rub the applied paste gently until some of the sugar has dissolved.
- Wash off the dead skin with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the process once or twice per week.
Once you’ve completed this step, the next thing to do is to moisturize your soft lips with the following homemade lip balm!
Step 2: Moisturize
After you’ve removed the dead skin cells on your lips, you’re now ready to apply lip balm.
The ingredients chosen in the following recipe are very effective but feel free to experiment with other natural recipes.
- 2 tablespoons of grated beeswax
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons of sweet almond oil
- 10 drop of essential oil
Melt the beeswax and coconut/almond oil in a double boiler until everything is melted. Take off heat and add your essential oils. Add to a container and let cool!
Additional Tips To Prevent Chapped Lips
- Apply coconut oil on lips overnight.
- Keep yourself hydrated.
- Use a humidifier at home to make your indoor air less dry.
- Avoid licking your lips as much as possible.
- Largest Medical Fraud Takedown In American History: More Than 400 Doctors, Nurses And Pharmacists Arrested For Health Care And Opioid Scams Worth $1.3 Billion
Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced Thursday (July 13th, 2017) that federal prosecutors charged more than 400 people (doctors, nurses and …
- Could a Lack of Vitamin D Damage Your Brain?
With many people focused on the risk of developing skin cancer, according to data from the CDC, almost a quarter …
- Selfie Addiction Linked to Narcissism, Low Self Esteem & Mental Illness
An award for everything, the word “selfie” won last year’s Oxford English Dictionary’s word of the year: “a photograph that …
- 10 Nutrients To Prevent Liver Damage Caused By Over-The-Counter Drugs
The liver is a very important organ. One of its main tasks is to filter or break down anything you …
- 60 Minutes On This Bicycle Can Power Your Home For 24 Hours!
Have you ever been at the gym and looked around at all the exercise machines and the people using them …
- CBD Oil – What is it, What it’s for, and How to Make it
Since cannabis has been increasingly legalized throughout the world, the scientific community (and the public!) just can’t seem to get …
- New Device Plugs Gunshot Wounds Within Seconds
The average adult has about five liters of blood, depending on size and weight. Gunshot wounds can cause a person …
- Honey Wraps Gently Cures Cough And Removes Mucus From The Lungs In Just One Night!
Yes, that’s right, honey wraps can cure common colds very quickly. Cough and cold are minor ailments but sometimes it …
- 5 Simple Steps to Reverse the Effects of Aging
Why is it that some people seem to age slowly and gracefully, while others look haggard at a relatively young …
- WARNING : This Household Plant Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 Minutes!
Houseplants not only make your home lovely and lush but they also improve the air quality around you. However, most plant …
- Aspartame Is Linked To Leukemia And Lymphoma In Landmark Study On Humans
It’s time to play Kick the Can—of soda, that is. In a 22-year landmark study published in The American Journal …
- Protein Combining: Fact or Fiction?
The theory of protein combining became popular in the 1970s and has since experienced a resurgence in the health food …
- How To Test For Low or High Stomach Acid In Seconds With Apple Cider Vinegar
If your stomach is producing too much acid, often you’ll experience symptoms. Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD or “acid reflux”) is …
- 5 Essential Oils That Stop Allergies Forever!
Having a seasonal allergy is a royal pain. Itching, sneezing, coughing, congestion, headaches, and exhaustion it causes greatly affect your …
- Chinese Factory Workers Pictured Sticking FEET Into Giant Piles of Noodles
Ick, ick, and triple ick. Hidden cameras in Tongcheng Rice Noodle Factory in Guangdong province of China captured its workers …