Chapped or dry lips are a common occurrence that can happen to anyone. Not only are they painful but they’re also unattractive.
Some of the main causes for chapped lips are vitamin deficiency, dehydration, excessive licking of lips, sun exposure and harsh weather. Dry lips are especially prone to occur over winter as the air gets drier.
So, if you’re one to experience dry, flaky, and chapped lips frequently…keep on reading!
Step 1: Exfoliate
Contrary to popular belief, simply relying on lip balm is not the best way to prevent dry, chapped lips.
In fact, the most important thing you can do to fight chapped lips is to exfoliate. Removing the layer of dead skin cells covering your lips will improve the efficacy of your lip balm. Use the following recipe:
- 2 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of honey (it’s used to make sure the sugar sticks well together)
Sign Up for Free Newsletter
Get our free newsletter in your Inbox daily. We'll also send you a copy of a free report on how to REVERSE 7 of the most dangerous diseases including cancer, heart disease, arthritis...and ELIMINATE pain naturally.
- Mix the sugar and honey together.
- Pour the mixture into a container and use within 1-2 weeks.
How to use:
- Take a dime size amount of scrub and rub gently onto lips.
- Let it sit for a few minutes to make the lip skin soft.
- Now use your fingers to rub the applied paste gently until some of the sugar has dissolved.
- Wash off the dead skin with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the process once or twice per week.
Once you’ve completed this step, the next thing to do is to moisturize your soft lips with the following homemade lip balm!
Step 2: Moisturize
After you’ve removed the dead skin cells on your lips, you’re now ready to apply lip balm.
The ingredients chosen in the following recipe are very effective but feel free to experiment with other natural recipes.
- 2 tablespoons of grated beeswax
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons of sweet almond oil
- 10 drop of essential oil
Melt the beeswax and coconut/almond oil in a double boiler until everything is melted. Take off heat and add your essential oils. Add to a container and let cool!
Additional Tips To Prevent Chapped Lips
- Apply coconut oil on lips overnight.
- Keep yourself hydrated.
- Use a humidifier at home to make your indoor air less dry.
- Avoid licking your lips as much as possible.