Diabetes is one of the major health concerns in the United States today. According to the CDC, in 2014 roughly 9.3% of the American population (29.1 million people) suffer from diabetes, but only 20 million people were actually diagnosed.
That means that nearly 30% of the people suffering from diabetes have no idea that they have it! Curing diabetes has been a high priority for decades, with millions of dollars invested into research every year. According to a team of researchers at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, the precursor may have just been discovered.
Stem Cells = Improved Glucose Metabolism
A trial conducted at the University of British Columbia found that a combination of human stem cell transplants and antidiabetic drugs improved glucose metabolism and body weight in mice with type 2 diabetes(1).
“The mice were given transplants of encapsulated pancreatic progenitor cells developed from human embyonic stem cells, which eventually developed to be insulin-secreting beta cells. These cells improved insulin sensitivity and glucose metabolism…”
Antidiabetic Drugs = Weight Loss
And that’s not all! Once the mice showed signs of processing glucose and detecting insulin more efficiently, they were given antidiabetic drugs. After taking the drugs, the mice showed significant glucose metabolism improvements and even lost a lot of the weight.
Not only were they better able to handle glucose more efficiently, but their glucose metabolism returned to normal. They became as “tolerant” to glucose as the normal mice used in the control group. They experienced none of the blood sugar spikes common among diabetics, even after eating a meal that was fairly high in sugar. The treatment essentially returned them to the condition they were in before becoming obese.
To top it off, the mice actually lost weight thanks to the transplant. They returned to their normal weight, the same weight as the mice that had been fed a low-fat diet!
Stem Cells + Antidiabetic Drugs = Cure?
So what does all of this mean? Essentially, the combination of stem cell transplantation and antidiabetic drugs could very well help to cure Type 2 Diabetes!
The fact that the treatment helped to control blood sugar spikes is one of the most important discoveries from the study. It is believed that the blood sugar spikes are what cause the most damage to the human body, increasing the risk of kidney failure, heart attacks, and blindness caused by diabetes. By enabling the mice’s bodies to process sugar more efficiently and reducing the spikes, they reduce the risk of serious health problems caused by diabetes.
Of course, A LOT of research remains to be done, but this opens the door for some pretty interesting possibilities in the future. The day when diabetes could be cured by transplanting stem cells into the human body may not be quite as far off as you’d expect.
“Success in these clinical trials could pave the way for testing in patients with type 2 diabetes,” said senior study author Timothy Kieffer of the University of British Columbia collaborated with BetaLogics.
“Our hope is that a stem cell-based approach to insulin replacement will ultimately improve glucose control in patients with both type 1 and type 2 diabetes, resulting in healthier, longer lives.”(2)
-  http://www.cell.com/stem-cell-reports/abstract/S2213-6711(15)00067-3
-  http://www.hngn.com/articles/79270/20150323/type-2-diabetes-could-potentially-be-reversed-through-new-stem-cell-transplantation-method.htm
- Researchers Have Discovered a Non-Invasive Way To Treat Alzheimer’s And Restore Memory
Researchers in Australia studying the effects of ultrasound technology on Alzheimer’s in mice may have found a way to clear …
- Maple Syrup Extract Makes Disease-Causing Bacteria More Vulnerable To Antibiotics
Who doesn’t love maple syrup? It’s sweet and goes well with french toast or pancakes! But maple syrup is so much more …
- Onion Extract Can Help Lower Blood Sugar Levels, Study Shows
A recent study has researchers wondering if onion extract could be the key to new therapies for individuals with diabetes. …
- Researchers Are Close To Patenting a Natural Compound Found In Avocados For Treating Leukemia
Once shunned for being too high in fat, avocados have won over many people, including dieticians, in recent years. They’re …
- Want To Sleep Better at Night? Spend More Time In Natural Daylight!
Isn’t it annoying when you can’t seem to fall asleep at night? You try and try to get to sleep, …
- This Robotic Seal Pup Is Being Used to Help Patients With Dementia to Relax
This invention for patients living with dementia is as cute as it is potentially therapeutic. Named Paro this robotic baby …
- Loneliness Can Be Just As Bad As Obesity And Heavy Smoking, Study Finds
Did you know that loneliness can be just as dangerous for your health as being overweight or smoking excessively? That …
- Endocannabinoid Deficiency Could Be To Blame For Your Chronic Health Conditions, Study Finds
The medical uses of cannabis are a hotly contested area of medicine right now; with many states in the USA …
- This Vitamin’s Anti-Inflammatory Properties Can Help Fight Low-Grade Prostate Cancer, Study Finds
When most of us think of Vitamin D, we immediately think about its effects on our skin. Most of the …
- Soldier Could Face Life in Prison For Growing Marijuana to Treat His PTSD…Here’s What Happened
Between 7 and 8 percent of the US population experiences Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, or PTSD, at some point in their …
- Studies Show That Exercising Is The Best Way To Go About Removing Toxins From The Lymphatic System
There are two major circulatory systems in our bodies: the blood vascular system and the lymphatic system. While the blood …
- Inspired By Her Grandmother, This Designer Created a Tableware Set To Help People With Dementia
Inspiration for creative design projects comes from all sorts of places, as industrial designer Sha Yao knows. When her grandmother …
- Eating Fatty Foods Help Protect Your Brain Against Diseases Like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s
The human brain is truly a marvelous thing! Scientists understand only a fraction of what the brain is capable of …
- Study Shows That Eating Protein in Equal Amounts Throughout The Day Is Better For Muscles
Go to any fitness and bodybuilding website and scroll through the articles, and you’ll find hundreds or even thousands talking about …
- Hand-Foot-And-Mouth Disease Is Sweeping Across Parts Of The US: Experts Beg Parents To Know These Signs
If you have kids, you probably know about Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease (HFMD). While it sounds like a peculiar …