Comfort food doesn’t always have to be unhealthy. If you use the right ingredients in the right amounts, you can create something that’s both delicious and nutritious. When it comes to desserts such as brownies, the key is in reducing the amount of processed carbs that are typically used in such recipes. In fact, the less sugar and flour used, the better.
As you probably already know, eating foods high in sugar can cause your blood sugar levels to spike and crash. Without getting too technical, this sudden up and down can lead to weight gain, lethargy, and even mood swings. The recipe found below is one that can both satisfy your taste buds without the sugar crash.
Why Avocado Brownies?
Unlike regular brownies that spike your blood sugar levels, brownies from avocados are made up of healthy fats and fiber, which can help you feel satiated. This green berry is also loaded with antioxidants, which help protect against oxidative stress at a cellular level.
Avocado Brownie Recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 20 minutes
- 1/2 cup creamy nut butter (almond, cashew, tahini, etc)
- 1/2 cup cacao unsweetened dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup mashed avocado (about 1/2 an avocado)
- 1/2 cup cooked sweet potato
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons cacao powder
- Preheat the oven to 325° F.
- Grease your pan with coconut oil or line with parchment paper
- Blend all ingredients except chocolate chips until completely mixed
- Stir in the chocolate chips and transfer to your pan.
- Use the back of a spoon to level out the batter across the pan as evenly as you can
- Bake for 20 minutes, then remove and allow to cool to before serving