It is normal to experience 1-3 bowel movements per day. It is also normal to have it once every two days, but if you go only once 3 to 4 days, you are probably suffering from constipation.
Constipation doesn’t only affect your bowel movement, it may also cause pain. If you often suffer from constipation, you may actually be at higher risk of colorectal cancer and enlarged hemorrhoids.
What’s the secret to getting your bowl movement going regularly without pharmaceutical laxatives?
How To Relieve Constipation Naturally
1. Drink Warm Lemon Water
Just squeeze a lemon in a glass of warm water and drink it every morning (1). Lemon contains citric acid that helps remove toxins, and loosen up undigested foods that may be stuck to the colon walls.
2. Eat More Healthy Oil
Healthy oil will help move food within the colon (2). If you take it on a regular basis, it will also help prevent constipation by softening stool.
Just drink 1 tbsp of organic extra-virgin olive oil on empty stomach upon waking up. You can also add more healthy fats like nuts, seeds, coconut oil and avocado.
3. Eat Foods Containing Insoluble Fiber
If waste gets accumulated in your colon, it can lead to hard stools and constipation (3).
Eating insoluble fiber from fruits and veggies will work to keep your intestines clean since it doesn’t absorb liquid or become sticky.
The fiber also bulks up your stool to help you evacuate more regularly.
4. Stay Hydrated
Drink water regularly to improve digestion and regulate bowel movement (4). It is recommended to have a glass of water half an hour before taking your meals. You should also repeat the process an hour after the meal. Staying hydrated will also help improve nutrient absorption.
5. Get moving
Exercise is essential for regular bowel movements because it decreases the time it takes food to move through the large intestine (5). Aerobic exercise (like running, cycling and walking) also accelerates your breathing and heart rate, which helps to stimulate the natural contraction of intestinal muscles. In fact, Web MD lists inactivity as one of the key risk factors for constipation.
Constipation occurs so often that most people don’t take it seriously. Just because it’s common, doesn’t mean that you should let it interfere with your everyday life.
It’s always worth fixing a health problem, no matter how mild.
Just remember that if you treat your body right, it’ll reward you with a long, happy life!
- Why Lavender Oil is MORE Effective Than Xanax, Valium and Prozac for Relieving Anxiety
Despite all the advancements in technology designed to make our life easier, researchers are finding that we are more stressed …
- Put This 2-ingredient Water Mixture In Your Nose With A Neti Pot And Watch What Happens
Congestion is never fun, but it can certainly be managed. While many people rely on decongestant spray, these products can …
- 8 Delicious Superfoods That Can Help You Manage High Blood Pressure
High blood pressure affects approximately one in every three American adults – about 70 million people. According to the US …
- Being Bilingual Is Good For The Brain And Could Even Help Prevent Dementia, Study Finds
The ability to speak two or more languages is kind of like a secret superpower. It might seem kind of …
- Why It Pays (For Your Health) To Be Optimistic
In life there are two types of people: those who view the glass as half full, and those who see …
- How To Recognize Skin Cancer – This Could Save Your Life
Melanoma poses the most serious threat over all forms of cancer. The American Cancer Society has predicted that there will …
- How to Grow an Endless Supply of Lemons From Seed (This Will Last You a Lifetime)
Learning how to grow a lemon tree from seed is surprisingly rewarding and easy. While lemon trees tend to flourish outdoors year-round in …
- 14 Houseplants That Thrive In Low Light
While most plants crave plenty of natural light, for indoor plant lovers, it’s not always feasible to have these sun-loving …
- How To Get Wrinkles Out Of Clothes Without Using An Iron – 10 Simple Tricks!
With our increasingly busy schedules and “always on the go” attitude, we can often find our favorite outfit looking a …
- 5 Interesting Reasons to Sleep Naked Tonight
Sleeping naked is not something one normally thinks about–you either do it or you don’t. It turns out, however, that there …
- This List of Ingredients Is The Reason Why You Should Never Feed Your Kids Happy Meals Ever Again!
It’s no secret that McDonald’s doesn’t serve up healthy food. Common ingredients include artificial and synthetic ingredients that can cause …
- Medicine For More Than 50 Diseases: This Super Tea Kills Parasites And Cleanses The Body of Toxins
Many of the ingredients used in this tea have been proven to help in the prevention of many deadly diseases …
- The DIY Cayenne Pepper Ointment Anyone With Psoriasis Needs to Know How to Make
Psoriasis isn’t really a skin condition—it’s a manifestation of an auto-immune condition. And a painful and unsightly one at that. T-cells …
- 8 Habits of Unhappy People You Need To Avoid At All Cost
Happiness is something we all want. Sometimes, it’s easy to achieve. Especially when everything in your life seems to be …
- 7 Tips on How to Nap Like a Pro
Countless adults are short on sleep, and naps are a great way to make up for some of those lost …