3. Olive Oil
Olive oil is a superb way to clean an ear blocked with wax. Compacted wax stuck in the ear canal becomes a haven for bacteria, so this method works well to prevent and treat a mild infection (6).
How To Use :
- Place 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a clean bowl.
- Place the bowl inside a larger bowl filled with boiled water, making sure the water and oil don’t mix. This will warm up the solution so that it dissolves the wax easier.
- With a clean spoon or an eye dropper place a few drop of warm olive oil in the infected ear.
- Leave for a few minutes.
- Lay down with the painful ear against a towel-covered pillow to help the oil come out.
4. Himalayan Salt
Salt helps to fight infections. In fact, many ear doctors rinse infected ears with a saline solution before clearing away pus and wax.
How To Use :
- Put some salt in a pan and heat it at low temperature for several minutes, stirring frequently.
- Place the warm salt in a clean cloth and close the open end tightly, twisting it shut.
- While it is still warm, place the cloth over the ear for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Repeat several times during the day. The heat will help the liquid come out from the ear and to alleviate the pain and the swelling.
5. Holy Basil Oil
In multiple studies, holy basil oil was proven to have anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties (7).
How To Use :
- Mix several drops of holy basil oil with equal parts coconut oil.
- With a cotton ball, wipe it on the inside the ear, around the outer edge and behind the ear.
- Repeat the treatment twice a day, wiping away the old oil before applying the new.
6. Warm Compress
A warm compress can help alleviate pain, reduce inflammation and encourage the draining of pus from the infected ear.
How To Use :
- Soak a clean cotton cloth in warm water
- Squeeze the excess water out and put the cloth onto the painful ear. you may find it beneficial to place it behind the ear as well.
- Remove it after 5 minutes, and take a 3-5 minutes break.
- Repeat step 3-5 until the pain subsides.
7. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is a powerful antibacterial, anti-fungal and antiviral solution (8). It can be quite strong if applied directly, so it’s best to mix it with some olive oil.
How To Use :
- Mix 3 drops of tea tree oil and two tablespoons of olive oil into a small bowl.
- Place the bowl inside a larger bowl filled with boiled water, making sure the water and oil don’t mix.
- Once warm, gently pour the oil into the ear and wait 5 minutes.
- Lay down with the painful ear against a towel-covered pillow until the whole mixture comes out.
- Repeat 2-3 times a day for two days.
Bonus: Lymphatic Drainage Massage
Performing a self lymphatic drainage massage can help relieve inflammation and drain lymph in the affected ares.
All these natural remedies can help you treat minor ear infections. However, if your earache doesn’t subside after 5-7 days or is accompanied by a “plugged” feeling, go see a doctor, it may require more specific treatment.
- 6 Natural Ways to Improve Your Digestion
It is something our bodies do without us even realizing: digest. Yes, all the food you put into your body …
- Unlock Your Healing Powers With Qi Gong
Although we still don’t have all the answers, plenty of scientific studies conducted in China and America have established a …
- Drink This 2-Ingredient Remedy Before Breakfast To Detox Your Fatty Liver
Your liver filters your blood and eliminates any toxins it may contain. It also plays a role in metabolism and …
- 6 Relaxation Techniques To Help You Sleep Better at Night
It can happen to anyone, no matter how tired you may be: insomnia. It can be caused by any of …
- If You See this Red Mark on Yourself or a Family Member, Seek Medical Attention Immediately!
Being outdoors is wonderful, but it has its risks. Rashes and bug bites are almost a guarantee when you spend …
- 5 Reasons Why Sweating is Healthy and What Happens When You Don’t
We often avoid sweating, other than during a workout. It’s like it’s something of which to be ashamed. We perspire …
- 9 Scary Facts That You Should Know About Diabetes (Even If You Don’t Have It)
Diabetes is a disease that affects nearly 10% of the U.S. population, and yet it’s a disease that so few …
- High Doses of Vitamin C Selectively Kills Mutant Colorectal Cancer Cells And Impairs Tumor Growth
Colorectal cancer is the third most common cancer in the United States (1). It’s also one of the most aggressive …
- How to Grow an UNLIMITED Supply of Basil From a Single Plant
Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to have fresh herbs and produce whenever you want? Gardening typically requires planting …
- Sprinkle 1 TBSP of THIS On The Stem of Your Plants And Watch What Happens!
Tending a garden is one of the most rewarding hobbies to have. Plants can be affected by many variables which cause them …
- How To Cleanse Your Kidneys Almost Instantly Using This Natural Home Drink
Your kidneys are constantly filtering your blood, making sure that waste products exit your body from urine. When you live …
- 7 Easy Ways to Get Rid of Dandruff Naturally
Are you part of the nearly 20% of the U.S. population who suffers from dandruff? While having dandruff certainly is …
- 4 Unconventional Ways To Fight Off Colds and the Flu
As the weather gets colder, many people begin thinking about cold and flu season. While a great number of people …
- What Is Microwave Cooking Doing To Your Health?
Is it possible that millions of people are ignorantly sacrificing their health in exchange for the convenience of microwave ovens? …
- 5 Diseases Proven To Respond Better To Cannabis Than Prescription Drugs
The list of diseases and conditions that are effectively treated–and sometimes cured–by cannabis is ever growing. The stigma resulting from …