A man named Bernardo LaPallo is over 110 years old, although most would think he is younger.
Like many living to be his age, LaPallo credits his long life with eating a lot of organic fruit and vegetables, while avoiding other foods like the plague.
He especially recognizes these 5 foods, a secret passed down to him by his father which he believes is the key to his longevity.
Bernardo puts it simply, “You are what you eat!” Check out the video below to see what he has to say.
So What Are the 5 foods?
1. Garlic – If you aren’t already a fan of garlic, you will likely load up your kitchen with the food after reading all it has to offer. From preventing cancer to detoxifying the body, to treating ailments like a toothache or cough, garlic is something you should be eating every day.
2. Honey – Honey has long been among the top superfoods used to treat countless health conditions and boost overall health. This amazing bee-product possesses antibacterial, antifungal, antiseptic, and antioxidant properties – making it one of the most beneficial foods to consume.
3. Cinnamon – Particularly rich in fiber, manganese, and calcium while being used for thousands of years as a flavorful spice and medicine, cinnamon truly has made it’s mark in numerous cultures. It can be especially helpful in aiding with diabetes, preventing cancer, and halting arthritis.
4. Chocolate – The real, unadulterated form of chocolate, derived from the Theobroma cacao tree, is a heaven-sent super food that can keep us healthy even as we indulge in its delectable taste. Real chocoalte is packed full of plant-derived flavanols, full of antioxidants, anti-inflammatory constituents and health-boosting ingredients that do all sorts of amazing things for our bodies and minds.
5. Olive oil – Olive oil is rich in beneficial fats which keep both your heart and brain healthy, preventing cognitive decline and risk of cardiovascular disease.
Of course, lifestyle still remains the most important factor in determining not only how long you live, but the quality of your long life.
Here’s 8 Other Longevity Secrets
- Exercise both physically and mentally.
- Consume a diet low in salt, high in fruits and vegetables, and contain plenty of fiber and antioxidants.
3. Don’t overeat. Practice what is called hara hachi bu, which means “8 parts out of 10, full,” and never eat so that they are stuffed, but just mostly sated.
4. Consume a diet high in vitamin E.
- Drink Herbal Tea. The health benefits of green tea are amazing.
- Take a Nap. Something as simple as an afternoon siesta can reduce your risk of cardiovascular problems including heart attack, and it can help you feel more energized and well-rested in the afternoon.
- Eat more fresh Vegetables. Among the obvious secrets of longevity, consuming vegetables is key, whether they be full vegetables or the more healthful microgreens.
- Relax. Reducing stress is becoming more well known among the secrets of longevity and good health. Stress can greatly increase your risk of numerous diseases as well as dangerous behavior.
sources: ABC15, Age Less Live More, FoxSports, WhatsUpUsana, NS