You would think that baby products are made to be as non-toxic as possible, but studies have shown that an alarming amount of products marketed towards children are not as safe than they are advertised to be.
Unfortunately, talcum powder is one of these products. Not only is it present in baby powder, it’s also a common ingredient in a large variety of cosmetic and hygiene products.
What’s Talcum Powder?
Talcum powder is made from talc, a mineral. As a powder, ithas hydrophobic surface properties which helps absorb moisture and helps cut down on friction, making it useful for keeping skin dry and helping to prevent rashes.
It is widely used in cosmetic products such as baby powder and adult body and facial powders, as well as in a number of other consumer products. via Cancer
How Does It Affect Babies?
According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, baby powder is no longer recommended for treatment or prevention of diaper rash (1).
This is because Talc has been implicated in many reports of lung irritation, respiratory distress, respiratory failure and even death upon inhalation.
“Long term excessive exposures to talc may cause Talcosis, a pulmonary fibrosis which may in turn lead to severe and permanent damage to the lung,” warns the US Occupational Health And Safety Administration (2).
There have been many documented cases of pulmonary talcosis as a result of recurrent aspiration of baby powder.
Health specialists have warned: “Overzealous application of baby powder can produce severe pulmonary complications if the infant inspires the powder (3).”
Some people believe that Talcosis is caused by asbestos but even asbestos-free products have caused the condition (4).
How Does It Affect Women?
Some women have taken up the habit of applying talcum powder all over their body, including their genital area and unto sanitary napkins, diaphragms, or condoms.
It’s been suggested that talcum powder applied in these ways can travel through the vagina, uterus, and fallopian tubes to the ovary.
In fact, talc use on the genitalia may modestly increase the risk of invasive serous ovarian cancer (5).
“As many as 10,000 women develop ovarian cancer each year as a result of baby powder use,” says Harvard epidemiologist Dr. Daniel Cramer (6).
Some of the companies that produce talcum powder products are aware of these risks.
August 12, 1982, New York Times article entitled ‘Talcum Company Calls Study on Cancer Link Inconclusive,’ Johnson and Johnson admitted being aware of the 1982 Cramer study that concluded women were three times more likely to contract ovarian cancer after daily use of talcum powder in the genital area (7).”
That’s not all, a 2010 study found that perineal talcum powder use also increases the risk of endometrial cancer, particularly among postmenopausal women (8).
Ladies, if you are still using talcum powder as part of your beauty routine, by all means, please stop. It’s not doing you, or your children any good.
- Here’s Why Women Need More Sleep Than Men (It Has Something To Do With Their Ability To Multi-Task)
While everyone should strive to get adequate sleep, a recent study from Duke University has shown that sleep deprivation may …
- Baking Soda and Castor Oil Can Treat More than 20 Health Problems
The more we learn about Nature, the more astonishing we find it. Ages-old remedies still work and can be applied …
- How to Use a ¼ Teaspoon of Nutmeg to Fall Asleep and Relieve ALL Your Insomnia Symptoms Overnight
There’s nothing like a poor night of sleep to set you on the wrong foot for the day to come. …
- Top Doctors Are Warning Anyone Over 40 To Stop Taking Ibuprofen Immediately. Here’s Why…
What do you do when a headache settles in? Chances are, you probably do the same thing as when you …
- This Is How Much Walking You REALLY Need To Lose Weight
When it comes to weight loss, many people believe that high-intensity exercises are the only way to shed a few …
- Spray This 3-Ingredient Oil On Your Feet 10 Minutes Before Bed And You’ll Be Dozing Off In No Time!
Do you have trouble falling asleep? Can you recall the last time you had a restful sleep and woke up rejuvenated? …
- How Only 15 Minutes of Walking Can Change Everything
Walking is the most ordinary thing a human can do. Unless we have a physical impairment, we take this activity …
- Here’s What You Didn’t Know You Could Do With Baking Soda (From Fighting Heartburn To Cancer)
Baking soda is one of those things that can do pretty much anything. Whether you use it for cleaning, personal hygiene …
- Try the World’s 7 Easiest Exercises for Back Fat and Underarm Flab
Fitness is a whole-body state. Muscle strength and tone along with cardiovascular health go together to complete the picture. No …
- Remove All Toxins From The Body In 3 Days (Prevent Cancer, Excess Fat And Water Retention!)
If you’re feeling tired or sluggish, it may be time to cleanse and detox your body. Things like stress, poor …
- 20 Natural Ways to Cleanse Your Lungs
Most of us take breathing for granted. Even if you don’t smoke or experience respiratory problems, an occasional lung cleanse …
- 14 Early Warning Signs Of Mold Toxicity Everyone Should Know (Millions Are Exposed Every Day)
When you hear the word mold, you often think of rotten food or dirty showers in bathrooms, but this very …
- How to Effectively Remove a Painful Ingrown Toenail WITHOUT Having To Go To The Doctor
If you ever suffered from an ingrown toenail, then you know that it’s not only super painful, it’s also hard …
- THIS Is What Happens To Your Face After Washing It With Coconut Oil and Baking Soda
Baking soda and coconut oil face wash, can be very good for washing your face. Exfoliating your skin has become …
- Energy Saving Light Bulbs Are Poisonous To The Brain, Nervous System, Liver, Kidneys And Heart
There is a growing frenzy about the safety of energy saving light bulbs, which have grown increasingly popular. The US …