Sadness isn’t the same as depression; watch the video below to learn the differences.
13 Symptoms of Depression
There can be a multitude of reasons why people battling depression may wish to keep it hidden, most prominently:
- Fear of ridicule or stigmatization
- Fear of sharing their innermost thoughts and feelings/trust
- Feeling that no one else can understand (or wants to try)
- Thinking they are beyond help.
Depression is a mental state in which someone feels unmotivated, irritable, sad, disinterested, discouraged, and/or hopeless for an extended period, to the point that these feelings interfere with routine daily function.
Some may have thoughts of suicide. (3) If we know what to look for, we may be able to see behind the façade to help someone in need.
1. Loss of Interest in Favorite Activities
Depressed people can distance themselves from the things they most love. They may suddenly discontinue activities that used to bring them joy.