1. Cut the Sugar
The primary culprit of diabesity is sugar. When sugar is metabolized, the body reacts with inflammation. Chronic inflammation is a known cause of illness, including neurodegenerative disease, hypertension, decreased libido, and depression.
2. Eat Whole, Unprocessed Foods
It’s really very simple: eat real food.
- A variety of vegetables and fruits of different colors – pigments in produce give us antioxidants to reduce inflammation and regulate blood sugar.
- Whole grains – oats, millet, buckwheat, barley, rye, etc. Keep inflammatory wheat to a minimum.
- Legumes – peas, beans, lentils.
- Herbs and spices – whatever you like, as much as you like, for flavor and innumerable health benefits. Herbs detoxify and regulate body systems.
- Healthy omega-3 fats – your brain needs fats, as do every other cell in your body for proper function. Eat more avocado; olive, coconut, and sesame oils; nuts and seeds (also a great protein source!), and fish oil.
- Lean proteins – organic/grass-fed meats, wild fish, organic free-range eggs, and vegetarian protein.
Healthy humans have eaten these bounties of nature since the dawn of time. After all, they’re on the planet to nourish and sustain us.
Whole foods work with the body’s chemistry to turn on the right genes for proper metabolism. Once they hit a factory and are mixed with stuff you can’t pronounce, they are adulterated and compromised.
Cook at home so you know exactly what you’re getting.