Health Benefits Of Garlic
Here are just a few reasons to add 2-3 cloves of garlic to your daily diet!
- Garlic cures colds and can reduce the length of cold symptoms by up to 70%. Taking the spice daily also prevents the onset of the cold and flu (3).
- Lowers blood pressure by relaxing smooth muscles and dilating blood vessels. One study found that 600 to 1,500mg of aged garlic was just as effective as the drug Atenolol (4).
- Prevents heart disease by lowering serum levels of LDL cholesterol (5).
- Fights infection, effectively working against antibiotic-resistant bacteria (6).
- Prevents cancer risk by up to 44%.
If you’re curious about how to use garlic for these conditions or can’t stomach the taste of garlic on its own, try these 3 healing recipes.
1. Honey Garlic Tincture
- One small jar with a lid
- A sharp kitchen knife
- One head of garlic
- Raw organic honey
- Peel each garlic clove and use the back of your knife to crush each one.
- Let the cloves sit for 15 minutes.
- Add garlic to your jar and cover with honey until the cloves are submerged.
- Secure lid and let the mixture sit in a dark, cool place for 3-5 days.
- Place in the refrigerator and keep for 3-4 months. Eat 1-2 cloves daily as needed.
2. Spicy Elixir
- Tincture bottle
- Wide mouth jar with a lid
- 2 tbsp raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp lemon fresh juice
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest
- 1-2 inches of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 cups filtered water
- In a small saucepan, boil the water and turn off heat.
- Meanwhile, crush the garlic and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Add all the ingredients to a tea filter or muslin cloth and place in your teapot.
- Pour water into the teapot and steep for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately and enjoy with a touch of honey.
3. Feisty Garlic Tincture
- 1 cup garlic, minced
- ½ cup raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup raw organic honey
- A pinch of black pepper
- A large glass jar with a lid
- A tincture bottle
- Add garlic to your jar and let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Whisk together the vinegar and honey and pour over your garlic, leaving a one inch gap at the top.
- Secure lid and let the mixture sit in a cool cupboard for a month.
- Stain the mixture through a chessecloth and store in a tincture bottle in the fridge.
- To use, take 10-20 drops at a time.