Common triggers include (2,3):
- Food triggers : acidic foods, coffee, chocolate or spicy foods
- Stress : Emotional stress and hormonal imbalance.
- Injury : biting your tongue or cheek,or injury from brushing or flossing
- Smoking : Canker sores may appear even years after you quit.
- Nutritional deficiency : including vitamin B-12, zinc, folate (folic acid) or iron.
Most canker sores are harmless and go away on their own. However, you should call your dentist or naturopath if you have (4):
- Unusually large sores.
• Sores that are spreading.
• Sores that last 3 weeks or longer.
• Intolerable pain despite avoiding trigger foods and taking over-the-counter pain medication.
• Difficulty drinking enough fluids.
• A high fever with the appearance of the canker sores.
Here’s a list of 5 effective home remedies to heal canker sores faster:
1. Chamomile Tea
Chamomile’s active compound, bisabolol, is traditionally used to treat inflammations of the skin and mucous membranes, and for various bacterial infections of the skin, oral cavity and gums (5).
To use, sip on chamomile tea before bed or apply a high quality organic tea bag directly on the sore in the morning.
Honey has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial compounds that help speed along the healing of surface wounds and ulcers (6).
Simply take a teaspoon of raw organic honey before bed and after every meal.