Black tea is one of the oldest beverages in the world, and over the past few decades it has only become more popular.
Many individuals turn to black tea as an alternative to coffee, while others drink it after meals to aid digestion.
However you take it, though, you can be sure that black tea has multiple health benefits – some of which may surprise you!
From preventing cardiovascular disease to inhibiting the spread of cancer, black tea is certainly more than just a tasty drink.
Here’s a quick look at some of the therapeutic functions of black tea:
1. Anti-Cancer Agent
Polyphenols in black tea – as well as in green tea – serve to regulate cancer cell growth, survival, and metastasis, effectively inhibiting the growth and spread of cancerous cells in the body.
A 2006 paper, published in the journal Anticancer Agents in Medical Chemistry, explored the relationship between black tea and the decreased frequency of cancer development, concluding that there is a probable connection between these factors(1).
2. Prevents Cardiovascular Disease
A study published in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews examined the connection between black tea and the prevention of cardiovascular disease. Although they were working with limited evidence, the trials did suggest that black tea had “favourable effects” on risk factors for cardiovascular disease(2).
While more research remains to be done, the outcome of this study was significant in indicating that black tea can work to prevent cardiovascular disease.
3. Reduces Your Risk Of Heart Attacks
Consumption has been found to lower levels of LDL cholesterol in hypercholesterolemic adults, according to a 2003 study published in the Journal of Nutrition(3).
By lowering your levels of LDL cholesterol, it can significantly reduce your risk of heart disease and cardiac events, especially when paired with a moderately low-fat diet.
4. Chock Full of Antioxidants
It is an especially effective antioxidant beverage, due in particular to the polyphenols – such as theaflavins and thearubigins – contained in the tea(4). Antioxidants inhibit the generation of free radicals, slowing the ageing process and reducing your risk of developing cancer.
Now that you know the health benefits, you can enjoy it guilt-free; it’s better for you than soda, and easy to prepare. Simply boil a kettle full of water and pour it over the tea, either loose or in a tea bag, and let it steep for five to ten minutes, depending on how strong you like your tea. It can be sweetened with honey for those who prefer a sweeter, milder tea.
- Top 6 Health Benefits of Magnesium
You probably already know a lot about the other vitamins and minerals that are crucial to your overall optimal health, …
- Make Turmeric-Tomato-Black Pepper Soup In 15 Minutes To Fight Cancer, Inflammation and More
A bowl of tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich are true tokens of childhood. Although it may seem like …
- Top 10 Anti-Inflammatory Foods You Can Eat Every Day
The links between chronic inflammation and increased risk of diseases like cancer are well documented – as one study puts …
- How To Make Chocolate Cake With Avocado Instead Of Eggs And Butter
If you’re a real bonafide health nut, then chances are that you always have a few avocados in your kitchen. …
- 30 Simple and Effective Whole Food Substitutes to Improve Your Total Wellness Right Away
If you haven’t caught up by now, the Standard American Diet – appropriately nicknamed SAD – is horrible. It’s literally …
- Pineapple And Turmeric Drink Reverses Cancer-Causing Inflammation And Even Beats The Common Cold!
Pineapple, turmeric, ginger and lemon all have two things in common. They’re all ingredients that have been shown to have …
- Do Not Use Apple Cider Vinegar If You’re On Any Of These Medications
Nothing exists in a vacuum. Our bodies are complex organisms that are constantly moving, with chemicals acting and interacting. Sometimes …
- 7 Day Alkaline Diet Plan to Fight Inflammation and Disease
Although the alkaline diet may seem like the latest celebrity craze, you shouldn’t dismiss it so quickly. Forget how you …
- Top 10 Plant-Based Protein Foods You Should Be Eating
Proteins (comprised of a variety of twenty amino acids) provide cell structure and serve as neurotransmitters between cells. There’s protein …
- How Taking Turmeric Helps Your Body Block Fat and Your Liver Remove Toxins as Fast as Possible
Turmeric, “the golden spice”, is a staple in India and surrounding regions. As of late, it’s becoming increasingly popular in …
- The First U.S. School District to Begin Serving Only Organic, GMO-Free Meals
Hail to the trailblazers! No one would argue the importance of nutrition, especially for children. As their bodies develop, they …
- Soak Chia Seeds To Supercharge Your Metabolism, Burn Fat And Fight Inflammation
You may have heard about chia pets, the adorable children’s toy made from sprouted seeds. These beloved toys are actually …
- 92 Alkaline Foods That Fight Cancer, Inflammation, Diabetes and Heart Disease
Human life, just like all life on earth, depends on appropriate pH levels in and around living organisms and cells. …
- 11 Good Reasons Why Ignoring Polyphenols In Your Diet Is a Big Mistake!
What is something that dark chocolate, green tea, red wine, blueberries, flaxseed, and coffee all have in common? Polyphenols! Polyphenols …
- Top 13 Inflammatory Foods You Should Avoid
As we get older, our bodies don’t always keep up. Muscles aren’t as strong as they used to be, skin …