1. Apple Psyllium Drink
- 1 apple
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 tsp pure, 100 percent psyllium husk/powder
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- Cut up the apple with the skin on and blend it with water until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a large cup and stir in the psyllium husk and cinnamon powder.
- Drink immediately because the psyllium will thicken.
- Drink another glass of plain water as soon as you finish the apple drink.
How it helps:
Apple—Apple pectin limits the absorption of fat from your guts and makes it easier for your body to break down fats into fatty acids (7). Antioxidants like quercetin in apples can help reduce oxidative damage and associated inflammation (8). A 2003 study also shows that eating three apples daily contributes to weight loss (9).
Psyllium—Psyllium husk is an edible soluble fiber and prebiotic. Once ingested, psyllium expands to form a gel-like mass by drawing water in from your colon. It helps to move waste out of your colon more quickly and efficiently. Apart from the known positive effects on your heart and cholesterol levels, studies also show psyllium improves glucose levels in diabetics (10).
NOTE: Psyllium husk can reduce the absorption of some medications and nutrients in foods, so only drink this within 2 hours of taking any medications or meals.