Type 2 diabetes affects 27 million people in the U.S. Another 86 million have prediabetes (1). It occurs when your cells are no longer able to use insulin properly. In response, your pancreas begins to create more insulin, which begins a vicious cycle that may eventually wear out the pancreas from working overtime. Because your cells can’t absorb glucose properly, your blood sugar levels end up dangerously high.
While the condition can be treated by tackling lifestyle factors such as obesity and a high-sugar diet, many diabetics use pharmaceuticals to manage their condition.
- Canagliflozin (Invokana, Invokamet, Invokamet XR)
- Metformin (Glucophage, Glumetza, others)
- DPP-4 inhibitors
- GLP-1 receptor agonists
- SGLT2 inhibitors
- Insulin (Apidra, Humalog, Novolog, Lantus, Levemir, Humulin N, and Novolin N)
The Risks of Pharmaceuticals
Canagliflozin is an oral tablet that lowers blood sugar by causing the kidneys to get rid of more glucose in the urine.
It’s known to cause serious side effects such as frequent, urgent, burning, or painful urination, pelvic or rectal pain, genital problems, tingling in arms and legs, ulcers or other sores on the skin of the legs or feet, and more.
And that’s just the beginning.
The FDA has recently issued this warning: “Based on new data from two large clinical trials, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has concluded that the type 2 diabetes medicine canagliflozin (Invokana, Invokamet, Invokamet XR) causes an increased risk of leg and foot amputations. We are requiring new warnings, including our most prominent Boxed Warning, to be added to the canagliflozin drug labels to describe this risk.” (4)
Their investigation found that patients taking the drug were twice more likely to suffer amputation than diabetics who were treated with a placebo in two separate studies. Toe and foot amputation were more likely although leg amputation also occurred in patients taking the drug.
This problem began with pain, tenderness, numbness, sores and ulcers. As these sores worsened and become infected, amputation became medically necessary.
The FDA now recommends that the drug should not be prescribed unless patients are closely monitored by their physician. At any sign of adverse reaction, patients should be weaned off the drug immediately. Additionally, patients with a history of prior amputation, peripheral vascular disease, neuropathy, and/or diabetic foot ulcers should not be prescribed the drug.
Instead of taking these dangerous drugs, health professionals now suggest that diabetics should focus on improving their condition through exercise and healthy eating habits.
- 23 Best Yoga Poses for Neck Pain
According to recent estimates, somewhere around 10% adults are experiencing neck pain at any given time. (1) As much as 50% of …
- This Is Why Your Legs Cramp At Night And How To Stop It From Happening Ever Again
Nocturnal leg cramps are not only painful, but they also prevent you from having a good night’s sleep, which is important …
- 10 Dangerous Brain-Damaging Habits to Stop Immediately
On average, a human adult brain weighs about 3 pounds (1,300-1,400 g), which is roughly 2% of your total body …
- How To Cleanse Your Coronary Arteries With Only 3 Ingredients
A diet high in junk food and sugar can be destructive to your cardiovascular health. You may have heard about how …
- 19 Ways To Ease Pain From Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) occurs when the nerves that run through a small space in the wrist become compressed. It’s …
- How To Use Peppermint Essential Oil To Kick Your Sugar Habit
Sugar addiction is no joke – there’s compelling scientific evidence that addiction to refined sugar can be just as serious …
- 17 Best Home Remedies for Back Pain Relief
For those of us who’ve experienced back pain, we know that there’s very little else that is as uncomfortable, inconvenient, …
- Keeping Your Gut Happy Is Key To Having a Healthy Brain (Here’s What You Can Do Right Now)
When it comes to the delicate balance of our bodies, there’s still a lot we don’t know, and it seems …
- Every Single Person Who has Cancer has a pH that is Too Acidic. Here is the Easiest Way to Check your pH Balance
A slightly alkaline environment is essential for proper cellular functions. Your gut bacteria and immune system rely on it too. …
- All The Signs, Symptoms, Triggers and Treatments of Hypo and Hyperthyroidism
According to the American Thyroid Association, an estimated 20 million Americans have some form of thyroid disease. Up to 60 …
- Anxiety Disorders are Linked to This Type of Abuse
“Stick and stones can break my bones but words will never hurt me” may sound nice in theory, but it isn’t …
- 5 Ways To Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Sinus Infection
By now, you probably already know that Apple Cider Vinegar is a true lifesaver. Whether it be used to flavor …
- 6 Natural Ways To Stop And Heal Receding Gums Before It’s Too Late
According to the New York Times, more than 75% of American adults have some form of gum disease. National Institute Of …
- 5 Foods That Make Arthritis Worse (and age you faster)
Managing arthritis can be a full-time job. There are certain activities and medication to be avoided to keep pain levels …
- A Healing Cucumber and Garlic Salad: Lowers Cholesterol and Regulates High Blood Pressure
According to the Mayo Clinic, high blood pressure is a common condition in which the long-term force of the blood …