Empath’s Guide to Addressing Adrenal Fatigue and General Energy Maintenance
A highly sensitive person has to be especially careful and mindful of her/his body, mind, and spirit in order to stay healthy and avoid the negative consequences of being an empath.
It’s sometimes hard to separate others’ emotions and energies from your own. While this can have a very pleasurable up-side, the down-side can genuinely impact an empath’s long-term health. Following are some tips that may help keep the up-side up.
1. Establish boundaries in relationships.
The personality traits of an empath make them exceptionally giving, compassionate, understanding, accepting, and forgiving. There are plenty of people who would take advantage of those traits. Be yourself but don’t be a doormat.
2. Improve your diet.
What you eat directly affects everything that goes on in your body. Stress can disrupt your endocrine system so it’s particularly important to eat well.
Eat regularly throughout the day to keep blood sugar levels (and associated insulin levels) stable. Make sure to drink enough water, as dehydration can put stress on the adrenals.
- all fast, fried, and processed foods
- refined sugar and artificial sweeteners
- white flour
- vegetable oils.
Add or increase:
- leafy greens and a variety of colorful vegetables
- legumes and nuts
- fatty fish (for the omega-3 fatty acids)
- replace table salt with Himalayan or sea salt (in moderation) for the intrinsic minerals
- fruits with lower fructose content (berries, peach, citrus, honeydew melon, avocado)
- healthy fats (e.g., olive, coconut, and sesame oils)
- whole grains.