Brain function : glucose powers the brain, but too much of it can cause depression, learning disorders, and impaired memory function. Just a mild elevation of blood sugar of 105-110 increases your risk of dementia (4).
On the other hand, insulin resistance starves the brain of sugar and contributes to the development of Alzheimer’s disease (5).
Cancer: Unfortunately, glucose actually feeds cancerous cells. By being a pro-inflammatory ingredient, sugar also encourages cancer proliferation.
3-Day Sugar Detox No Sweets Cleanse
Follow this 3-day sugar detox cleanse to break free from your addiction.
It’s important to eat only what’s listed bellow and avoid sugar, sweets and processed foods after the cleanse. Instead, replace candies with fresh fruits and artificial sweeteners with natural options like honey and maple syrup.
- Breakfast: 1 cup of oatmeal with blueberries, walnuts and chia seeds.
- Snack: 1 small bowl of mixed nuts.
- Lunch: Lean protein with steamed butternut squash, carrots, beets, parsnips, turnips, beans, and almonds.
- Dinner: broiled fish with a bowl of green beans, broccoli and mushrooms.
- Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs with spinach.
- Mid-morning snack: a small bowl of nuts;
- Lunch: grilled zucchini, yellow and red peppers with a lemon, vinegar, and thyme dressing OR a shredded red and green cabbage salad with shredded carrots and a olive oil, lemon, salt and parsley vinaigrette.
- Dinner: steamed cruciferous vegetable with vegetable casserole and bean soup OR baked cod with roasted Brussels sprouts, bok choy and turnips.
- Breakfast: 3 eggs shrimp omelette with a sautéed kale, walnut, and radish salad.
- Mid-morning snack: 1 small bowl of nuts.
- Lunch: roasted chicken thighs with rosemary, lemon, and sage OR oven-roasted chicken with onion, black olives, and thyme.
- Dinner: forest mushrooms, celery and carrots, with garlic broth, onion, thyme and bay leaves OR brown rice pasta with mushrooms, tomato, and basil meat sauce.
Sugar Detox Drinks
Instead of sugary drinks, drink more water and hot drinks. For example, drink unsweetened herbal (peppermint works well) or green tea 3 times per day, with meals. You can still drink coffee, but limit yourself to one cup of black coffee a day.
You can also drink infused water made with grapefruits, berries, strawberries, or oranges and fragrant herbs like mint or rosemary to make it more palatable. Drink several glasses a day.